Weekends Football 17/19 March

andykeenan

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

They will. Unfortunately unlike teams like west ham they'll spend the mega cash as soon as they're in Europe and ensure they maintain it. 

It's still a different dynamic to largely playing one game a week. Don't forget they also went out of FA cup at 3rd round stage. They'll improve their first 11 but they'll still need the likes of Trippier, Bruno Guimaraes and Isak to stay fit to have a serious go at 4th next season.

West Ham spent loads in the summer but it wasn't strategic at all.

I was actually surprised they're still "only" on 47 points despite winning the last two and having that mass winning run up to the world cup break. We had about 52 points going into February in one of the MON seasons so just shows how badly we collapsed in the last three months to just about scrape home in 6th.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's still a different dynamic to largely playing one game a week. Don't forget they also went out of FA cup at 3rd round stage. They'll improve their first 11 but they'll still need the likes of Trippier, Bruno Guimaraes and Isak to stay fit to have a serious go at 4th next season.

West Ham spent loads in the summer but it wasn't strategic at all.

I was actually surprised they're still "only" on 47 points despite winning the last two and having that mass winning run up to the world cup break. We had about 52 points going into February in one of the MON seasons so just shows how badly we collapsed in the last three months to just about scrape home in 6th.

We’ve been beat 3 times in the league, twice by Liverpool and Man City……….and 🤞for the CL

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

They remind me of leicester in the season they won the league, avrage squad with ridiculous luck.

I wonder if any of their luck has been purchased...

Oh yes, “luck”. NearLet all players running a marathon every match. 💪 amazing how that could be done.

⁹They're not lucky, they're riding momentum and feel good and playing out of their skin

Too many PL clubs are smothered by turmoil, utd for the last decade and Chelsea right now being the prime examples 

Of course Chelsea are better than Newcastle, the difference is one club puts out 11 players who want to be there every week and one clubs puts out 11 players who don't give a flying **** 

What I think they do have going their way is no one is picking them apart this summer, even Bruno to Madrid is media guff, they'll be left to build on what they've already got which most teams who shoot up the league don't get that luxury

What they haven't got going for them is the idea that they will spend loads this summer...so will everyone else...utd and Chelsea between them have 5 (?) players who cost over £80m and even their free transfers are the likes of varane and thiago silva, Newcastle spend £300m this summer the other clubs don't stand still they will still attract better and bigger names whilst also having a better squad

That's the reality of what a top 4 challenge now is, all the money in the world and they'll still only do it if Chelsea or spurs or liverpool **** up and let them in

Newcastle haven't even been in great form recently, midtable form over the last ten games, just three wins from those ten, they just happened to play a team last night who are in even worse form.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle haven't even been in great form recently, midtable form over the last ten games, just three wins from those ten, they just happened to play a team last night who are in even worse form.

Don’t tell Bobzy.

They're overachieving currently, which is a great way to start a period when there is going to be a fair bit of achievement.

I think they're doing that on the back of having some good players, playing a system that suits them, being well organised and perhaps most importantly being in a fantastic place mentally.

Newcastle is a happy club I think - it looks like they all know they're going somewhere, they all know it's going to be really good for them and they all seem to realise it's actually going very well already - you can see the confidence in the players, the mental resilience they have and that they're confident in the support of the club around them - confidence in the future is bringing a real feel good factor today and that feel good factor everywhere around the club is putting all that confidence back into the players.

There will be plenty of time to dislike the super-rich powerhouse they'll become - for now, I think fair play to them and their fans, they get this season as a just reward for the hard times.

• Like 1

They will probably still finish relatively high up the table because they had a very good start, and was more than a good start extended at least until Christmas; last season West Ham from November onwards had some of the worst form in the division, but because they were very good for the first few months they were still able to finish top seven.

1 hour ago, useless said:

They missed Guimaraes - he's back, and they're winning again (obvious exception being their loss to Man City).

Â