Italy v England/England v Ukraine

andykeenan

Italy Thursday 23 March 7.45pm

Ukraine Sunday 26 March 5pm

Both games on ITV

The squad 

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),  Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford)

3 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Out of form players (for at least the last 3 months) = Dier, Guehi, Gallagher, Henderson, Mount, arguably Foden (he seems to picked up forms against Bristol City), arguably Chilwell

no form at all cos they didnt play much = Maguire, Phillips

On betting charge = Toney

Total of 10 players you could argue does not deserved to be here.

Tomori, Watson, March... 3 that should all feel extremely hard done by to have not made the team. But that's Southgate for you. Picks his favourites, ignores form, doesn't have a clue.  It's been the same his whole time in charge, why would he change now. 

Brighton's Centre backs should be there over Maguire and Dier too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Phillips and Maguire :D 

This.

The bloke is an imbecile, thankfully I don't give a shit about the national team.

• Like 2

Think for me the problem is he's again picking players post tournament that he had no interest in using during said torunament

Gallagher didn't get a sniff in Qatar why call him up now? Same with Maddison, I'm sure guehi too

Henderson won't make a tournament in 2 years time

Got a degree of sympathy for him because of the youth tournaments this summer but it's still so uninspiring

• Like 1

It is a very Southgate thing to do to pick the same side that has fallen short a few times and to 'we go again' them for the Euros one more time.

Not like there are plenty of other players who have better form, and even aside from Villa - no Brighton players who have been playing really well.

Feel sorry for both the country and the players who are more deserving of a spot.

Contrast that with Scaloni - a relative beginner in terms of management - designing the Argentina teams around their strengths and not being afraid to switch formations/tactics/personnel (starting Di Maria on the left masterclass in the world cup final) depending on the opponent.

I assume you'll see more boring 5 at the back and 433 variations. So turgid.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate Southgate being the England manager.

Take away penalties, Toney has scored 3 more goals than Watkins this season. Plus Watkins had to play under a complete moron for most of that time. Same number of assists. Oh and Toney is going to be banned - Southgate logic - I'll pick Toney.

• Thanks 1

The amount of players that should be in this squad based on form, you’ve got Ben white, dunk, tomori, March, Watkins and yet again picks players that have hardly played for there clubs in maguire, Phillips and Gallagher

Sooner he gets the boot the better, can’t stand the **** always has an easy qualifying group soon as we play someone decent we get knocked out 

• Like 1

England team is pretty much dead to me under Southgate however it still infuriates me on a high level. 

I mean Eric Dier over Tyrone LOL,I mean he couldn't wait to get Eric Dier back in even tho that's off the back of being carried in a back 3 and even then Spurs fans will tell you he's shit. (yes I realise Dier has been back for a while but srs) 

Only positive is Connor Coady has finally been given the chop. 

Edited by KAZZAM
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

The amount of players that should be in this squad based on form, you’ve got Ben white, dunk, tomori, March, Watkins and yet again picks players that have hardly played for there clubs in maguire, Phillips and Gallagher

Sooner he gets the boot the better, can’t stand the **** always has an easy qualifying group soon as we play someone decent we get knocked out 

What's worse is how he tries to explain his decisions and always trips himself up. It's weak and deceitful. I'd hate to play for someone like him.

• Like 1

Â