What Instantly Ruins A Burger?

Rds1983

What Instantly Ruins A Burger?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have just popped into a local pub for lunch and finished an absolutely delicious burger. However, it was instantly ruined for me by being ridiculously tall making it difficult and messy to eat and resulting in toppings and burger sliding out onto the plate. I've always felt a burger should be wider than it is tall and this seems to be a common issue nowadays and got me wondering what else ruins a burger for people? Apart from this I also not fond of the brioche bun trend as feel a burger should be savoury and not sweet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/03/23 at 17:00

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Anybody been to one of the Burger & Sauce establishments around the Midlands? A new one has just opened up in Sutton and I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow. It sounds like it could be fantastic, but also like it could be pretty awful.

If I do go and they ruin my burger I will of course report back immediately.

They seem to be cropping up everywhere. Usually in dodgy high street locations so I'm not sure about them. 

Think I saw one is opening in town soon though. 

On 10/03/2023 at 14:43, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely with the OP on height, you have to be able to pick it up - if you've got too much stuff on your burger for that, make two burgers.

Also in agreement on Brioche buns - half bap, half dessert, all nonsense.

Oh and air friers are 2023's veganism - if they've got one, they'll tell you about it soon enough.

Thank you. Air fryers and those who fry with air can all **** off. 

• Haha 2

I take my steak so blue it's practically mooing but I don't **** with anything less than a well-done burger, and any establishment that offers anything else can get straight in the same bin that they probably keep right next to the food prep station.

Looking at you, Meat Liquor Leeds, and how much I projectile-vomited thanks to your BS.

Good Cream Soda Floats, mind.

Edited by GarethRDR

On 22/03/2023 at 22:28, TB said:

On topic (sorry) Smashburgers? Found some recipes on the 'net. Not convinced, but will give it a try.

Tips for the best smashburger

Super hot pan - cast iron is the best

Weigh the meat - 2 equal balls

Season when you're cooking

Get a strong flat surface to 'smash' it with - flat metal spatula + rolling pin is good

Cheese on after the flip

You want burned bits on the edges

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Anybody been to one of the Burger & Sauce establishments around the Midlands? A new one has just opened up in Sutton and I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow. It sounds like it could be fantastic, but also like it could be pretty awful.

If I do go and they ruin my burger I will of course report back immediately.

Been ordering from the castle vale one for a little while and had the same reservations. However actually alright I’ve found. I’m always a fan of being able to customise easy but they don’t over complicate it too much - all standard stuff. The chips definitely need the sauce combo things they do.

Saw signs that they are looking to expand/franchise/invest so I suspect that it has been working out for them. Hope it was alright for you.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Get a strong flat surface to 'smash' it with - flat metal spatula + rolling pin is good

I recommend a proper, flat meat tenderiser. Strangely difficult to get in the UK, as everywhere seems to only sell the spiky ones. 

meat-tenderizer-pounder2.jpg?v=143817959

edit - although the picture makes it look like a doorknob. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I take my steak so blue it's practically mooing but I don't **** with anything less than a well-done burger, and any establishment that offers anything else can get straight in the same bin that they probably keep right next to the food prep station.

Looking at you, Meat Liquor Leeds, and how much I projectile-vomited thanks to your BS.

Good Cream Soda Floats, mind.

I’m on the fence about this. Ive had some burgers that are pretty rancidly under-done but at the same time I don’t mind it a tiny bit pink. But even then, isn’t it actually pretty bad for you to have underdone mincemeat?

21 minutes ago, Spoony said:

But even then, isn’t it actually pretty bad for you to have underdone mincemeat?

It's risky. You might be fine. You probably will be. But you mightn't be. Bacteria can only live on the surface of a steak, which is why once you give it the belt of a hot plate, (i.e. blue) you know you're safe, whereas cuz the 'surface' has been minced up in ... ehh mince, that surface and its bacteria are now right the way through that mince, so it has to be cooked thoroughly.  So pink mince can potentially make you ill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m on the fence about this. Ive had some burgers that are pretty rancidly under-done but at the same time I don’t mind it a tiny bit pink. But even then, isn’t it actually pretty bad for you to have underdone mincemeat?

Like with anything, it depends on the meat that it's made from. It's you've ground your own chuck steak and you then go and cook it then it's not really any more likely to make you ill than a rare sirloin.

A frozen one at a PTA fundraising barbecue, you're probably best off incinerating it just to be on the safe side. 

What @BOF said on the mince.  That one occasion that it did make me ill, it made me so ill that any potential trade-off of taste vs. risk of cascading waterfalls of vomit made it a non-starter.

19 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Brioche buns for a burger are not my thing at all.

Oooh, see I do like a good brioche bun.  I'm equally happy with a normal bun, but those St. Pierre brioche buns you can get in supermarkets (especially the ones that still have the sesame seeds on top), very nice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Been ordering from the castle vale one for a little while and had the same reservations. However actually alright I’ve found. I’m always a fan of being able to customise easy but they don’t over complicate it too much - all standard stuff. The chips definitely need the sauce combo things they do.

Saw signs that they are looking to expand/franchise/invest so I suspect that it has been working out for them. Hope it was alright for you.

Didn't go in the end, I was closer to the Bakehouse so I had one of their burgers instead (that is the Baked In Brick owner's new cafe in Sutton). Very good. Definitely not instantly ruined by anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

In answer to the original question, Rustlers ruin a burger.

In general yes, but the BBQ Rib ones were a cheap lunch mainstay back in the day.  The trick is to microwave only the nondescript meat slabs, but toast the buns and swap out the sachet of cheap BBQ sauce they give for something nicer from your fridge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

In general yes, but the BBQ Rib ones were a cheap lunch mainstay back in the day.  The trick is to microwave only the nondescript meat slabs, but toast the buns and swap out the sachet of cheap BBQ sauce they give for something nicer from your fridge.

wow...i spent 4 years of uni doing it all wrong didnt i. genius.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Have a new contender for what instantly ruins a burger and personally I think it's a winner.

Popped out to a semi-fancy restaurant/bar outside Crewe last night and had an absolutely delicious rib-end burger. From a taste perspective it was fantastic.

However, it was completely ruined by the bun being covered in gold leaf. It not only looked ridiculous but it was impossible to eat it without getting your hands and mouth stained gold.

Compress_20230926_064234_4084.thumb.jpg.3d69d956ad5295aee33c035961ea6801.jpg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have a new contender for what instantly ruins a burger and personally I think it's a winner.

Popped out to a semi-fancy restaurant/bar outside Crewe last night and had an absolutely delicious rib-end burger. From a taste perspective it was fantastic.

However, it was completely ruined by the bun being covered in gold leaf. It not only looked ridiculous but it was impossible to eat it without getting your hands and mouth stained gold.

Compress_20230926_064234_4084.thumb.jpg.3d69d956ad5295aee33c035961ea6801.jpg

It's got lettuce, tomato, is too tall and by the look of it brioche bun. 

Gold leaf is the least of you're issues there. 

Â