Dean Ashton or Roque Santa Cruz

Nigel

Which one would you prefer?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you prefer?

• Ashton
    • Santa Cruz

I honestly wouldn't care. I'd take either of them in a heartbeat. Santa Cruz is the more glamorous name and though you tend to get shot for admitting it, I'd like a bit of glamour in the team. But Ashton is younger, arguably a more proven goalscorer and English. So they both have their advantages and both would be priced similarly I'd imagine. Honestly I wouldn't care who we got. Here Blandy move up on that fence :P

Or..in all honesty..vice versa.

Not really.

yes really.

it annoys me when people prefer english players. as evident in this thread, so many people going for ashton and saying santa cruz is a one season wonder. just because you've only seen him play one season doesn't mean he is a one season wonder :lol: perhaps more importantly, it is so obvious that ashton wouldn't work as well with carew than santa cruz but the fact ashton is english and people have seen more of him blinds their view.

it annoys me when people prefer english players. as evident in this thread, so many people going for ashton and saying santa cruz is a one season wonder. just because you've only seen him play one season doesn't mean he is a one season wonder :lol: perhaps more importantly, it is so obvious that ashton wouldn't work as well with carew than santa cruz but the fact ashton is english and people have seen more of him blinds their view.

I have concerns that he's a one season wonder and it has absolutely **** all to do with his nationality.

The first person to mention nationality was infact tricella, who assumed the same as you (and was proven wrong).

Get your facts straight before you post.

it annoys me when people prefer english players. as evident in this thread, so many people going for ashton and saying santa cruz is a one season wonder.

With all due respect, as a goalscorer, Santa Cruz HAS been a one season wonder. That's just a fact. My post above actually can't decide so I'm not in the 'I want Ashton' camp but fact is until he joined Blackburn, RSC was not a prolific goalscorer anywhere.

Taking nationality out of it completely, they are both very appealing players and choosing Ashton over RSC is just as justifiable a choice as the other way around IMO.

"the fact ashton is english and people have seen more of him blinds their view" did i refer to you then? no. so learn to read before you acuse me of not getting my facts straight!

have you seen him play football for more than one season? if i'd got into football last year and watched man utd, would i be concerned that ronaldo is a one season wonder?

I voted Santa Cruz as he would likely be better value for money. A very tough choice though.

The Ashton prices being quoted are silly and he needs to prove his fitness and goal scroing prowess to demand those sort of fees in my opinion. A potential star no doubt.

Santa Cruz has already proven he can score and would look great in our system.

Ashton by a distance, Sanat Cruz has so far done it for one fluke season in his whole career, every season Ashton has played he has done it

with the supply from young and hopefully a new RM he would score loads

How can you possibly say it's a fluke when he's only played one season in the Premiership? Fair enough had he been he for two years, hammered loads in first season, but nothing the next, fair enough, but it's impossible to say that now.

I don't care what he did at Bayern Munich, it's what he's done here in the Premiership that counts now, and he did a brilliant job for Rovers last season. Imagine what he could do with improved service?

Santa-Cruz without a doubt.....

In fact I really don't see the debate. Ashton is always gonna look good playing alongside Zamora and Cole.

Santa-Cruz has experience, the mobility needed for the way we play and the technical ability we lack upfront. No brainer IMO :)

I honestly wouldn't care. I'd take either of them in a heartbeat. Santa Cruz is the more glamorous name and though you tend to get shot for admitting it, I'd like a bit of glamour in the team. But Ashton is younger, arguably a more proven goalscorer and English. So they both have their advantages and both would be priced similarly I'd imagine. Honestly I wouldn't care who we got. Here Blandy move up on that fence :P

Bit with BOF here...however I'm casting my vote for Ashton...simply because he's younger than RSC, English and I think MON is more likely to sign him because of those factors AND because he's fought back from a serious injury and MON seems to like that in players!

How can you possibly say it's a fluke when he's only played one season in the Premiership? Fair enough had he been he for two years, hammered loads in first season, but nothing the next, fair enough, but it's impossible to say that now.I don't care what he did at Bayern Munich, it's what he's done here in the Premiership that counts now, and he did a brilliant job for Rovers last season. Imagine what he could do with improved service?

In that vein you could also say Ashton is a one season wonder aswell.

He hasn't spent enough time playing top level football to prove himself.

it annoys me when people prefer english players. as evident in this thread, so many people going for ashton and saying santa cruz is a one season wonder.

With all due respect, as a goalscorer, Santa Cruz HAS been a one season wonder. That's just a fact. My post above actually can't decide so I'm not in the 'I want Ashton' camp but fact is until he joined Blackburn, RSC was not a prolific goalscorer anywhere.

Taking nationality out of it completely, they are both very appealing players and choosing Ashton over RSC is just as justifiable a choice as the other way around IMO.

my point is that no one saw him play for bayern. no one knows really how well he played there. looking at the goalscoring records, he wasn't prolific, no. but then wayne rooney doesn't score that many. can depend on your role in the team. for me, to call him a one season wonder is a little ignorant.

regardless, lets say he is a one season wonder. if there's anyone who can bring that out again it's martin o'neill! and ashton has horrible, horrible hair :winkold:

How can you possibly say it's a fluke when he's only played one season in the Premiership? Fair enough had he been he for two years, hammered loads in first season, but nothing the next, fair enough, but it's impossible to say that now.I don't care what he did at Bayern Munich, it's what he's done here in the Premiership that counts now, and he did a brilliant job for Rovers last season. Imagine what he could do with improved service?

In that vein you could also say Ashton is a one season wonder aswell.

He hasn't spent enough time playing top level football to prove himself.

Yea, whatever. :winkold:

He did a brilliant job last season for Rovers. Not many South America players come to the Premiership and make the impact he has and as quickly as he has. He settled and scored goals. He'd also be a better partner for John Carew if you ask me. JC and Dean Aston are too similar. Someone like Santa Cruz would be ideal. Good finisher, bit of flair, plenty of pace.

As if by chance, RSC played 42 games last season and scored 23

Ashton on the other hand has played 42 games in 3 years and managed to score16.

That factoid alone would make the decision for me, totally discarding the fact RSC is a much better allrounder. :)

Â