Best and Worst Villa Loan Deals

Zatman

10 hours ago, Folski said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Erik Bakke and Joey Gudjohnsson

I remember Gudjohnsson (possibly incorrectly) being decent enough for us no? GT Mk2 was when all of the other teams around us really started spending and Ellis tightened the purse strings even further so we were signing players for buttons at that stage.

In recent years Mings by a country mile. Made the defence solid straight away and one of the key reasons why we got promoted, along with Grealish returning from his annual two months of being injured.  I think Carbone was on loan, or certainly a short term deal when he was at Villa and was good for 6 months. It was also nice to finally see Robbie Keane in a Villa shirt and he scored a couple of decent goals.

In terms of worst there are just far too many to mention. Often a waste of time and money.

• Like 3

Looking at previous post forget to mention Tammy, obvs a great loan. Johnstone was a decent keeper for the Championship. No Martinez but still a good goalie, just lacks good distribution skills to be  a top level. Also forget that Milner was at Villa on loan for his first season, looked a good prospect at the tme. 09-10 was his peak year for us though, after that we sold him and were rubbish for nearly a decade.

I think for the ones that were on loan for a whole season you tend to regard them almost a permanent signings.

Edited by The Fun Factory

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Pires was a free transfer. Was 38 going on 58 though. Although I remember one random game vs. Blackburn where he turned the clock back like 15 years

Cole was also a free. Had one good game v Burnley. 

Ginola, Pires, Cole, Coutinho. We love buying a past it creative midfielder.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Cole was also a free. Had one good game v Burnley. 

Ginola, Pires, Cole, Coutinho. We love buying a past it creative midfielder.

Grealish came on with a few minutes left and hit the bar in that Burnley game I think. Believe that was also when Gresford was born.

25 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Gudjonsson was worth the loan solely for that mental night at VP vs the unwashed.

At 0-2 down, with Dion off, I remember being sat there wanting our players to break their players legs. 

Joey gave it a good go. 

He scored that weird 35-40 yarder when we thumped Boro, too. I bought that white away strip and that was the only naffing away win of the season.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2023 at 18:55, Demitri_C said:

Not sure how you stick coutinho there. We have had a lot worse.

One of the biggest disappointment loan signings was that that wasteman bolaise.

I really did think he was going to be a coup for us in championship and he was shite.

Also dawkins has to be there

Wasteman 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Â