Best and Worst Villa Loan Deals

Zatman

Sinclair was o.k on loan, average but scored a couple of goals in the FA cup v Leicester and West Brom.

We were always going to sign him permanently but big error thinking he could step up to replace Benteke, he was probably worse than Weimann at premier league level.

Bertrand was strange in that when he joined he looked like Zinchenko and by the time he left was only marginally better than Bennett. The regression under Lambert was staggering. If it was on FIFA he'd have lost about 25 rating points

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

JERMAINE JENAS ! Worst. Done!

Saw him presenting on the One show tonight and I completely forget he ever played for us.

Didn't Spurs mug us off in that after his season ending injury we still had to pay his full salary for the rest of the season.

Shows the difference in way club was being run compared to Spurs in those times.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Not even youtube has any clips him playing for us. And there are clips of me brushing my teeth on YouTube.

Bradley's one start was in the 3-0 cup defeat to Man. City. Game where we rested a few players for whatever league fixture was upcoming and Houllier got huge amount of stick for it.

Probably made late sub cameos in the league but it was a shame as he was decent in the Bundesliga and then went on to have a solid career in Serie A so think if we'd just signed him on a permament he'd have got going the next season.

I also rated the Makoun signing so was frustrating neither were given much of a chance and instead within 18 months we had to throw all the kids straight into that midfield area.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villaslash said:

Best 3

• Milner
  • Walker
  • Mings

Worst 3

• Drinkwater
  • Bolasie
  • Hmm… so many but I’ll go with Jermaine because you knew he could play but didn’t do it for us.

He started one game for us and got a freak injury that put him out for the season

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Didn’t he catch his foot in one of the sprinkler holes? Against Man United wasn’t it?

It was something like that. I remember was a strange game as we had take keeper off too

The United jinx

It might just be me, but I don’t remember James Milner being all that when we had him on loan? He was a much better footballer by the time we signed him properly a couple of years later, and then his game went up a level again when he moved into CM from the wing after Barry left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He started one game for us and got a freak injury that put him out for the season

Exactly, I thought he was really going to help us when we needed someone in the middle. What 2 subs, 1 start, crazy injury and I think a cost of one million.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

genuinely never heard that he played for us before. I remember him playing a lot for Ireland and had a few programmes/sticker books and never ever mentioned he was here

He made the bench for Luton at home in BFR's first season 1991/92 - a game made famous by Paul Mortimer scoring the 4th that afternoon and flicking the V's at the Holte.

McLoughlin never came on, so zero appearances. 

7 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I thought Baston was a free transfer?

Yep weird free transfer from Swansea. The stay was so short I guess seemed like a loan. I trust Emery, that January with Samatta and Baston is what makes me want at least two good forwards for Villa all the time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Agreed. I knew someone who worked in Malmaison when he lived in a suite there during that spell. Apparently he’d phone up and ridiculous times with obscene requests, one I remember was demanding some really obscure cereal (sigh, I can already hear the puns I’ll get in response to this 😂)

How he ended up being a regular pundit is beyond me. All the charisma of a flip flop.

He must have some serious dirt on someone up high, he's as entertaining/engaging as a kick in the balls!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KMitch said:

Short term memories around here...  Naming players who cost peanuts and rarely played for us are hardly the worst deals...

Best:

• Sam Johnstone - Very solid keeper for us in the Championship for 1.5 seasons
  • Mings - Leadership/solidity at the back sparked our 10 game win streak and playoff campaign
  • Abraham - Goal machine.  Loved him here.
  • Robbie Keane - Very short loan, but another goal machine and "proper man".
  • Kyle Walker - Very very good for his short time here.  Solidified his case to start for Spuds the following season.
  • James Milner - Class Class Class

Worst:

• Drinkwater - astronomical fee and paid a lot of wages.  He was dreadful and played a lot during his spell.  Hands down one of the worst I can remember
  • Cleverly - Paid a big fee and ~40-50k/week in wages for a player completely anonymous in all but 3 of our games for us.
  • Michael Bradley - 4 appearances total for a total of 100 minutes.  Not sure if Houllier actually rated him or just signed him to show Petrov/Sidwell he didn't need them anymore.  Had to have been a pretty big loan fee/wage for the time.

There are a million cheap loans who rarely featured for us, if at all.  Doesn't mean they're the worst...

• Andre Moreira
  • Borja Baston
  • Tiago Ilori
  • Grant Holt
  • Simon Dawkins
  • Andy Marshall
  • Gabor Kiraly

This guy gets it. Bednarak was an emergency loan for a 4th choice CB for 6 months. The fact we didn't need him doesn't make him the worst; it means we got lucky. 
Dawkins, Illori etc were all gambles which cost little. 

I would add Guatavo Bartelt (did he even play?) and Jermaine Jenas (3 appearances? But he does seem to have a soft spot for us in his punditry!) to the 'bad' list, as I suspect they cost us a fair bit.

Â