Premier League relegation battle 2022/3

useless

11 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Ok you have totally lost me now. You suggested that a Man U win was better for Villa, whereas I can't see any way at all in which the result of that match affects us. Or what it has to do with the relegation battle. Am I missing something?

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ok you have totally lost me now. You suggested that a Man U win was better for Villa, whereas I can't see any way at all in which the result of that match affects us. Or what it has to do with the relegation battle. Am I missing something?

Sorry, mate, was in middle of posting and had to step away. Somehow posted in wrong forum. I thought I was in the Weekend's Football forum. I used the adverb "marginally," too, that's important. By points ceiling I just meant highest level of points overall -- and that the lower the overall number of points in the table, the more competitive the table is (probably) overall, and that's perhaps better for us if we're, in theory, for example, trying to nip into the top seven. If Arsenal just runs away with it, the bar rises for clubs battling for spots. Didn't you do Advanced Bullshitmatics on your A-Levels?  😉

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

21 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Sorry, mate, was in middle of posting and had to step away. Somehow posted in wrong forum. I thought I was in the Weekend's Football forum. I used the adverb "marginally," too, that's important. By points ceiling I just meant highest level of points overall -- and that the lower the overall number of points in the table, the more competitive the table is (probably) overall, and that's perhaps better for us if we're, in theory, for example, trying to nip into the top seven. If Arsenal just runs away with it, the bar rises for clubs battling for spots. Didn't you do Advanced Bullshitmatics on your A-Levels?  😉

giphy.gif

Arsenal running away with it means they take more points off everyone else in the table, and should in theory make the rest of the table have fewer points, and make it easier for us to overtake them. Obviously would require us to break the mould and beat them when we play them.

Not sure it makes all that much difference thinking about it. 

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Arsenal running away with it means they take more points off everyone else in the table, and should in theory make the rest of the table have fewer points, and make it easier for us to overtake them. Obviously would require us to break the mould and beat them when we play them.

Not sure it makes all that much difference thinking about it. 

Is the table zero sum? I'm not actually sure. But I was also talking about the competitiveness of play and how a runaway title leader might motivate those behind the leader to fight harder for wins. 

32 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is the table zero sum? I'm not actually sure. But I was also talking about the competitiveness of play and how a runaway title leader might motivate those behind the leader to fight harder for wins. 

Might also have the opposite effect and make them less competitive as they know its a lost cause.

Another thought is the competitiveness of the top 4 places is another driver for the dominance they will need to display. If it'd decided with 3 games to go they could all give up and then whoever faces them at that point gets a benefit. 

Way too many variables really. Playing them before/after big cup games another huge factor

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Way too many variables really. Playing them before/after big cup games another huge factor

Yes, totally agree, and you nicely capture the complexity of trying to gauge the impact of Big Six matches on Villa's prospects. Part of what makes it fun to think about -- until it drives you crazy lol. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After yesterdays transfer dealings, here are the latest odds

3/10 - Bournemouth

8/13 - Everton

4/6 - Southampton

9/4 - Wolves

11/4 - Notts Forest

7/2 - Leeds

7/2 - Leicester

11/2 - West Ham

14/1 - Crystal Palace

50/1 - Villa

I think Bournemouth are doomed. 

Everton are in the mire big time regardless of Dyche being appointed and they've signed no one but got rid of Gordon. I'm not sure he will be able to get enough improvement out of them. I think he's been appointed with half an eye on getting them out of the championship at the first attempt.

Leeds could be worth a punt at 7/2

There will undoubtedly be lots more twists and turns.

With 18 games to go, it's rare for the bottom 3 to still be the same come the end of the season. Someone always seems to pull some results out of the bag unexpectedly. 

• Like 1

I’m sticking with Everton, Southampton and Bournemouth. May well prove to be wrong but something about the trio seems “settled” to me, despite it being so close. I can sort of see it more than other combinations.

Whoever it is, it looks likely that there’s going to be at least one relegation that will be interesting/funny to see.

Everton, Wolves, Leeds, West Ham and Leicester fall into that category. I’d imagine they would all feel that they should be aiming for top half/pushing for Europe.

Southampton and Bournemouth would be less interesting but in the case of the former they’ve been top flight mainstays for a decade now. And in the case of the latter, they have an annoying habit of taking points off us, so them dropping wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Then there’s Forest who we know have gone about shopping in the way they have, so if they went down, there’s that aspect to consider. I actually don’t think they’ll go down, they seem to have a certain pluckiness about them.

Be interesting how this plays out.

49 minutes ago, imavillan said:

After yesterdays transfer dealings, here are the latest odds

3/10 - Bournemouth

8/13 - Everton

4/6 - Southampton

9/4 - Wolves

11/4 - Notts Forest

7/2 - Leeds

7/2 - Leicester

11/2 - West Ham

14/1 - Crystal Palace

50/1 - Villa

I think Bournemouth are doomed. 

Everton are in the mire big time regardless of Dyche being appointed and they've signed no one but got rid of Gordon. I'm not sure he will be able to get enough improvement out of them. I think he's been appointed with half an eye on getting them out of the championship at the first attempt.

Leeds could be worth a punt at 7/2

There will undoubtedly be lots more twists and turns.

With 18 games to go, it's rare for the bottom 3 to still be the same come the end of the season. Someone always seems to pull some results out of the bag unexpectedly. 

i got 25/1 on palace a few weeks back. i still fancy them to be in the mix

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 12:18, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth spent a huge amount which I wasn't expecting, any gamechangers for them in those signings especially in final third?

Made some shrewd defensive signings but I don’t see them staying up. 

I can't remember a closer relegation battle. There's no-one cut adrift. No-one definitely gone. No 'Norwich' this season. There's a case for everyone staying up and everyone going down amongst the candidates. It could come down to unfortunate injuries. It could also be a record total (high or low) to stay up. Barmy season. One thing's for sure. Everyone who goes down will be over-powered in the Championship, even moreso than normal.

• Like 3