• Bailey
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho (Buendía 69)
    • Cash (Bailey 81)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 88)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/23 at 23:59

Thought we nicked the Leeds win. Today  ? Nah, we dominated the ball, by far the better team. Why are getting hung up about the VAR call, that’s their job. We shouldn’t feel guilty that we were on the right side of it. I remember Watkins debut season with us he had like 5-6 what looked like good goals, chalked off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 points from 7 games is impressive.

But I think what's even more impressive is having only conceded 7 goals in those games having played Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Brighton and Leeds who all score a good amount.

alright that's it we need to get a banner on the Holte End that says "IT WAS FOR A STAMP"

maybe take a leaf out of Everton fans' books and make it some 400 word opinion column/poem nobody has time to read on MOTD. No push involved Southampton, young Jacob's heel was stamped on, whatever get an AI to write it like they seem to

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We didn't play well, particularly going forward, but our shape is good, we're organised and we're difficult to break down - we've become a hard team to beat.

This manager is the real deal; imagine us when we play well, imagine us with a little more quality in the front four. We're on the bottom step of something that could be very exciting.

I thought the four in the middle of the park, Mings, Konsa, Kamara and Luiz were excellent again, the box shape those four make is our strength. Moreno looked a little lightweight at times but Ashley Young was rock solid and Martinez was brilliant, both in stopping shots and in being quick off his line.

In front of that we've got difficulty, Bailey just isn't firing, Watkins got the goal but seems to struggle to get into shooting positions, Ramsey isn't involved enough and Buendia's forward passing was awful. Coutinho didn't add much and we're short of any other options.

We'll strengthen, we'll add and we'll improve, I have no doubt about that - but the pleasing thing is that the strengths we do have, and the tactical awareness and coaching ability of this manager, mean that we can still win games while we do. 

It's a good win, a dog average performance, a wonderful three points and another step along a process that could end up in some very special places.

I'll take that.

Spot on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t read any of the comments here yet but I can guess how things are going it’s probably the usual moan “rode our luck” nonsense. We should have been awarded a penalty in the first half , Bailey should have scored at least one of his chances,  our offside trap worked a treat. We always struggle to break down a low block but today we came away with the win  we would have lost under our previous managers. Yes we are a work in progress but we are moving in the right direction. Unai is putting together quite a run.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Southampton fans actually believe they were 'robbed'. 

I can see why, even lots of our own fans think their goal should have stood. It just goes to show the power of the first impressions and of media. Lots of people didn't see the actual foul and focussed on the shove, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I haven’t read any of the comments here yet but I can guess how things are going it’s probably the usual moan “rode our luck” nonsense. We should have been awarded a penalty in the first half , Bailey should have scored at least one of his chances,  our offside trap worked a treat. We always struggle to break down a low block but today we came away with the win  we would have lost under our previous managers. Yes we are a work in progress but we are moving in the right direction. Unai is putting together quite a run.

Unlucky mate, I think you were off on most of them if you read back.  A bit on our attacking but mostly positive in this thread.

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I don't think it's even that soft, their player deliberately tries to move Ramsey out the way so that Ramsey can't head it and he can control it. That's not allowed.

I agree ...  but last week there was that judo throw on Gnonto by Mings ;) 

• Shocked 1

I thought that was a promising performance. We were the better team and deserved the win.

Wasn't a great game but we controlled the majority of the match and apart from a 10 minute period in the second half, never looked threatened.

We look to be getting better on the ball. The passing and possession was good. Lacked a little cutting edge in the final third, but the signs are good.

Martinez - 8 - Looks like one of the best keepers in the world. The world cup win seems to have given him the confidence to elevate his game.

Young - 7 - Composed and assured.

Konsa - 6 - Never troubled. Didn't do much.

Mings - 8 - Looking like a proper ball playing centre back. Carrying the ball into the opposition half, playing one two's on the edge of the Southampton box, never troubled defensively. Looks to be the player most benefiting from Emery's methods. Unless Pau Torres has been lined up must be given a new contract.

Moreno - 6 - looks promising. looks like a player feeling rushed, which is what you get with players new to the league. Once he becomes accustomed to the lack of time on the ball, will be just fine.

Kamara - 8 - Reads the game so well. Looks like he is still not completely adjusted to the league. Once he does, the Vultures will be ravenous.

Luiz - 7 - Solid performance, help to control the game, Keeps us ticking over. Assist.

Ramsey - 7 - Starting to look sharp again. As the last two games has clearly not been match sharp. Was efficient with the ball, worked hard.

Buendia - 5.5 - Couldn't decide between a 5 or a 6. Worked hard, put himself about, but gave the ball away alot, never threatened to create anything. First half was okay, second was poor. Just looks to weak and slow to play in the middle.

Bailey - 6 - Didn't do much, gave the ball away a few times. Never stopped running, looked a threat at times, put in a couple of good balls.

Watkins - 8 - Only gets an 8 because he scored the winning goal, at the perfect time. Worked hard and was a good outlet, but the same limitations of his first touch are apparent.

Coutinho - 6 - Never really had a chance to do much as we quickly, scored the winner, then took off Bailey and Luiz.

• Like 2

Â