• Bailey
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho (Buendía 69)
    • Cash (Bailey 81)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 88)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/23 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

5 points ahead of Palace, and 5 off 5th. Pretty good considering where we were. 

Winning ugly is just as good as winning pretty

Yep, even the best teams win ugly every now and then. Let’s not forget where we were only a few months ago. We are not going to suddenly play every team off the park, so for me a wins a win.

lets Enjoy it, good times are coming.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

A bit different to the past league games where I thought everything up until the ball got to the final third was great today. Our attacking players really aren't it right now and it's a bit of a concern. Making very hard work of games we should be comfortable in. 

At the risk of being shot down I do think we've been quite fortunate with these wins lately, never really convincing at all and I doubt we'll keep up with it but for now it's working so we'll take it. 

Definitely need a new attacker in by Leicester.

I think almost certain we'll have at least one

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

A bit different to the past league games where I thought everything up until the ball got to the final third was great today. Our attacking players really aren't it right now and it's a bit of a concern. Making very hard work of games we should be comfortable in. 

At the risk of being shot down I do think we've been quite fortunate with these wins lately, never really convincing at all and I doubt we'll keep up with it but for now it's working so we'll take it. 

Definitely need a new attacker in by Leicester.

Agree against Leeds but we looked really comfortable today.  I mean, Southampton should have had a goal, but they really didn't do anything.  We utterly controlled that game.

• Like 1

Amazed that some thought we were lucky with the VAR decision. Pretty clearly steps on his heel.

Not a vintage performance but some nice build up play at times. Still think we ack a bit of creativity in games we are expected to win but hopefully Emery will bring in a couple more players who can offer something different in attack.

• Like 1

I thought first half we were excellent all over the pitch just missing that killer pass or bit of luck. Second half a thought Buendia, Bailey and JJ switched off at times allowing Southampton to regain possession to easily with poor give aways. The defence along with Kamara and Luiz were excellent all game. 

Martinez, Luiz and Kamara are on another level to the rest of the team imo. The 3 musketeers. Swagger, composure, just pure class, and most importantly end product on a consistent basis. Luiz stats against JWP at half time weren't even comparable the domination was so one sided.  

12 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Do you think they were hard done by though? I thought all the big decisions were right on both sides, although many were close calls. And we had the better of the play overall. 

We were probably the better team on the day, and so I'd certainly feel hard done by if we'd missed out on the win because of a disallowed goal like that. Suspect most of us would 

• Like 1

My thoughts

Martinez, probably the best goalie in the Prem atm

Young and Moreno......Young was the better of the 2, i think we need to get used to Moreno being better going forward than he is at defending. Their RW is a lively player though, as is their RB.

Konsa and Mings......very comfortable, their best game for quite a while imho.

Kamara......always comfortable, a ver very good all round player.

Luiz........better than last week, keeps the ball moving, think he needs to be more positive.

Ramsey......I think he is a key player for Emery, his  movement, pace, and willingness to get in the box I think is essential to how Emery wants to play. Not yey up to pace, but could be a very good player.

Emi/Coutinho........both want the ball, I think Emi is safer in posession, but PCs attempt to play the ball forward quicker than Emi is what Emery wants from this position. I really want one of them to step up, get more assists and more goals, if not to move forward we will have to replace.

Bailey/Watkins,.........both work hard, both have their moments, but want too many touches imho.

Like to see another good midfielder come in, prefer Guendhouzi, and being greedy a CF

• Like 1

Martinez, best keeper in the world. Ref was poor all round, soft foul for their chalked off goal (Why he pushed Ramsey is a mystery that only shit players no about) but Ramsey should have had a penalty as well,  he was wiped out in their box, ball was nowhere near their defender, unbelievable weak decisions and he did that all through the game, countless heavy tackles went without punishment. 

We played some lovely stuff at times but just lacking the composure for the killer ball, shot or run. Bailey missed some good chances when he probably should have done better. Ramsey still looks a bit rusty but alot better than against Leeds. 

We tend to play intricate passes in tight areas that draw the opposition players in but when they come in we need to play out of those tight spaces and into the space the opposition players have left to close us down, we are nearly there.

We are drawing them down the pitch with our possession at the back but we need to use the width of the pitch as well to further stretch them. 

Overall very good performance, Emery's style is showing and this was a hard game, Southampton are fighting for their lives and at home they need to show more but their quality up front is championship at best, Adams.........? Their going down .

Should have been a couple up at half time, would have made life easier as we bossed the first half. Some of the one touch interplay to break the press was superb. 

They rallied second half but still thought we deserved the three points.  Welcome to the “new” Villa!   

• Like 4

Â