• Bailey
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho (Buendía 69)
    • Cash (Bailey 81)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 88)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/23 at 23:59

On 22/01/2023 at 17:05, blandy said:

That's the whole message I was trying to get across - that their state of mind is something that is largely affected by external things (like the Manager) rather than being something that is like how tall someone is or whatever, and there's nothing can be done, other than get rid.

Oh I agree with that.....However, I also think managers cannot always get what they want from a player, and getting rid is inevitable......The question of, is it the manager or is it the player, or is it the environment, is subjective....Hence players do better or worse, when they move clubs.

Elite Managers, like we have, have to be trusted, when they feel, they can do no more, to improve a player.

Back on Topic......

That win, had ingredients we have been searching for, yonks....so,so statisfying.....proud of the boys.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I felt we had it pretty well by the reins the entire time.   Having said that, based on the past few years I was a nervous wreck that someone would ruin all the good defensive work with a moment of stupidity.

As a former referee, I saw the foul that nullified their goal, in real time.  But given the replay they showed with a focus from the waist up, I was afraid we were not going to get the call.  

But I was yelling for UE to get some fresh legs on the pitch for about 5 minutes.  I thought JJ especially appeared to be knackered, and that might have contributed to him going over in the box...  To be fair, he kept up his movement as the match went on and actually made a coulple nice open field interceptions.  

I like this winning thing.  Can we keep doing it?

On 21/01/2023 at 17:36, icouldtelltheworld said:

You'd have to ask him mate 😉 I can see why it was given, but it was very soft, and on another day the goal stands. So I think they've a right to feel hard done by

On another day we get the stonewall penalty we should have got and the game plays out differently, we probably win by 3 or 3

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On another day we get the stonewall penalty we should have got and the game plays out differently, we probably win by 3 or 3

The Ramsey one from the first half? Would have been incredibly soft as well tbh, never a stonewaller for me. We'd all be fuming if Fernández had been awarded that against us in a game against Man U IMO. Apologies if there was another penalty shout I've forgotten.

We won and that's all that really matters for me 🙂

I see a story stating Villa have been charged with failing to control their players during this match.

I struggled to think of an incident but it relates to protests about their 'goal", that was eventually disallowed. Makes you wonder why the FA have picked on this incident and dont enforce it when the Sky darlings swarm all over refs when things don't go their way! i assume a slap on the wrist and a fine. Rediculous.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 17:35, Lochheads twin said:

I see a story stating Villa have been charged with failing to control their players during this match.

I struggled to think of an incident but it relates to protests about their 'goal", that was eventually disallowed. Makes you wonder why the FA have picked on this incident and dont enforce it when the Sky darlings swarm all over refs when things don't go their way! i assume a slap on the wrist and a fine. Rediculous.

£20,000 fine. Not worth arguing about. Hope the FA spend it on something useful.

Aston Villa: Unai Emery's side fined over players' reaction to disallowed Southampton goal

Last updated on27 January 202327 January 2023.From the sectionAston Villa

Villa players surround referee Southampton are bottom of the Premier League while Villa are 11th

Aston Villa have been fined £20,000 by the Football Association for their players' reaction to Southampton's disallowed goal on Saturday.

James Ward-Prowse's 65th-minute strike was eventually overturned by the Video Assistant Referee for a foul in the build-up.

Referee Michael Salisbury was surrounded by Villa players and subsequently booked Douglas Luiz.

Ollie Watkins scored 12 minutes later to give Villa a 1-0 win at St Mary's.

Villa admitted the charge and accepted the standard penalty from the FA for a breach of rule E20 which states that players "failed to conduct themselves in an orderly manner

Â