• Bailey
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho (Buendía 69)
    • Cash (Bailey 81)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 88)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/23 at 23:59

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Only followed this online so can’t really comment until I’ve seen match of the day.

However, I am loving the progress we have made under Emery. 16 points from 7 matches I will take!

So good to have a manager who appears to know what he is doing.

Also congratulations to Aston Villa Women today on their draw with Man City.

I might and probavky will be wrong here...

Won a game that we spent the last decade losing

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It feels like we got lucky, as we were really quite poor in front of goal and the decisions swung the game, but on balance the game winning decisions were right and we should have had one penalty, IMO.

Martinez MotM, some ridiculous saves in there.

I'm very, very worried about how ineffective we are in front of goal. Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey are not good long term options here.

All 3 are and should be good options from the bench after a summer spending spree.  I would hope!

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

5th place is up for grabs. Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are not convincing and Fulham, Brighton and Brentford are not stronger than we are. 

Someone is getting carried away!
At some point at least one of those big six teams will go on a stonker on a run.

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Sure, but it sounded like one that could have gone either  way, but we nicked  a goal in a tight second half 

Not for me. We were struggling a little to get the ball in the net but it never felt like anything other than a win or, if we couldn't find the breakthrough, a disappointing draw. Even when they ‘scored’ I was totally confident it would be disallowed when VAR looked which was an odd feeling with the ball in our net.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

This. We have a new mentality which was a big part of why, despite our decent personnel, we kept getting turned over prior to Emery. 

The sense of self belief is as good as a high level signing, we know we can win because we keep doing it. We are not great at the moment, but are set up so much better, and this is just the first step: keep improving, increase familiarity of system, add better players. We are solid, heaven help the opposition when we start playing very well.

We have had similar type runs before under Smith and SG - the issue was that our self-belief seemed incredibly fragile and we then went on longer runs of absolutely awful results.  I think Stevenage is the kind of result that could have had a huge impact on us in previous seasons - but Emery seems to have got it out of our system pretty quickly.  There will be a period when we get a few poor results - it will be interesting to see whether we react much better and quicker with the new man in charge.  My belief is that he's got far more than just a Plan A and so if things aren't going great will be better at just moving to Plan C, digging out some points or some positives to build on and making sure we don't have 10 match runs of relegation form.  Fingers crossed!!!

I really enjoyed that.

We aren't at our peak yet, but I loved the way we played our football considering we were away.

We were patient and slow in our own half to start off, simply settling into the game and retaining possession. When the ball moved into the opposition half the tempo changed, more movement, crisp passing to feet and some lovely one-touch stuff.

Not quite the end product we wanted, as the final ball isn't quite there and our shooting was always straight at Bazunu.

We had more of the ball away from home than the home team. Let that sink in for a minute: When was the last time we did that?

Excellent stuff. Onwards and upwards

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Absolutely delighted with the win. A massive three points and these past three league games have shown a great deal of character from this team that simply wasn’t here under Gerrard. We are showing that we’re a team that can dig in when required and play lovely one touch intricate play at others. The missing ingredient is up top where we look powder puff. I just trust Emery sees this and can address it. 

My saints mate told me they were “robbed” (to be fair he retorted once he’s calmed down) but I likened it to us nicking it rather than robbing anyone. We controlled and dominated the ball and looked completely at ease for the majority of the game. We clearly lacked potency and had some decisions go our way for once. They can definitely feel hard done by. They’re bottom of the league and had a goal scrubbed off for, in my opinion, a very very soft “foul”.  I’m not sure we get ourselves back in the game if that goal stood to be honest. We looked fruitless in the final third despite Saints gifting us the ball at times in the second half. 

For me, the game actually hinges on that disallowed JWP goal. Our fans were instantly galvanised, and so too the players and we began ti stamp more authority on the game and you could we we believed we should win it. 

Absolute scenes in the away end when Watkins scored. We all went barmy. And we managed the game out very very soundly from there after with hell from our World Cup winning keeper. He’s special. 

Our play put the back seemed to make more sense today. Perhaps it was my vantage point in the stand behind the goal but you could see them making space and moving from the back line. Boo and Luiz are so good on the ball. Kamara is really something utterly special. Levels above the rest in terms of game and on field awareness. 

This was a unified win. Fortunate in places but one I think we deserved. We will come unstuck if we can’t be more of a threat in the final third but hopefully we assess this.

Big big win. Delighted. (Voice gone and knackered from daytime beers in Yates’s 🥴).

UTV.  

Spot on

• Like 1

Chuffed with the performance and 3 points, classic away performance keeping a clean sheet, dominating possession and taking one of our chances.

Southampton were awful apart from a ten minute spell after the hour mark, they got drone like a kipper.

Â