Pre Match Thread

MrBlack

Southampton have won a few games but their form still doesn't look great, of their three recent wins two of them were in Cup competitions where form often goes out the window, when it comes to league form they've won just one of their last seven games, and that win came against Everton one of the few teams just in as bad form as them, I watched some of the game and they both looked as bad as each other.

In a way I'm actually glad Southampton beat Everton, because before playing a team on a run of consecutive defeats there can always be a feeling that surely they have to win at some point, so at least they've got that win out of the way.

It's a game we should be more than capable of winning, have to make sure we don't take them lightly, hopefully if any good is to come from the Stevenage result it's the players learning that lesson.

• Like 1

Just had a little browse on their forum and they are extremely confident to a man that they will turn us over.  The only dissenter suggested a draw. Everyone else a win.  

They all thought we were terrible against Leeds and awful in defence.  

Strange isnt it that we are loving these gritty wins . Because for so long every time someone played even half decent against us we would lose. We would only ever win when the opposition were appalling. 

Long live the gritty wins eh

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wict01 said:

New years day 2020 that was, we won 2-1. They beat us at Turf Moor in that REEEEEALLY frustrating 3-2 game in Jan 2021. 

Ah yes. I couldn’t remember the exact year so thanks 🙏 

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just had a little browse on their forum and they are extremely confident to a man that they will turn us over.  The only dissenter suggested a draw. Everyone else a win.  

Strange isnt it that we are loving these gritty wins . Because for so long every time someone played even half decent against us we would lose. We would only ever win when the opposition were appalling. 

We were ****-ing terrible often versus Leeds, of course. No lie there. Skin of our teeth win. But ... we won, so they can **** off. I do think they're stupid if they think football is so simple though. We can play "worse" than Leeds and win, or play "better" and lose. No one "deserves" to win. You score or don't. I'd rather be an ugly winner than a beautiful loser, but we do need to learn from Leeds. Personally, I do think we need to do a better of taking it to the opposition. We need to help make Emi Martinez's match a lot more boring.

• Like 1

The thing about Villa in recent years, we are very reactionary in our approach. We seem to conform to the pre game narrative ( this game for example ) that “ Southampton are in trouble. They are at home. Will want it more than us “ We’ve tended to run with said narrative in games like this in the past before a whistle is blown, and ultimately lose. But those loses also come when you aren’t too sure of yourself, know the plan or are coached enough in how to carry it out. I think Villa will be more proactive going forward now that we have a top coach. Players are more confident for a game when they’ve trained well and the training has been opponent specific. We’ve zero control over how much Southampton will be up for it, want it etc. We need to look after our own performance. 

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I do believe we have to play better though. I’d be very disappointed if Villa delivered another performance as sloppy as last Friday night. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 09:15, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I really wish away games were accessible like they used to be. Back in 2009-2010 you could get away tickets with a decent booking history and id go all the time. These days you have no chance. Sad really because id love to go to this one :( 

I completely agree with you. It's so ridiculous that there's a ticket criteria that we've had for a long time so it's just not fair on season ticket holders who haven't been to any away games this season last season so it's rubbish really. Southampton is the only away game I go to, and this season I can't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

Ings gone supposedly, Watkins injured (?) and Archer out on loan. Who's gonna lead the line on Saturday?

Ollie. Quick healer usually from knocks and there's no way we'd have sold Ings if he was a serious doubt for Saturday. Back in training apparently.

Does mean we have nothing much to change on the bench if first 11 isn't doing much though.

We are not winning this if we play like we did against Leeds…

Also, Bailey has had his one good game every 3 months, and Ollie is Ollie this season - who is getting the goals? Expect a frustrating afternoon. 

55 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So who takes penalties now Ings has gone? Ashley Young?

Watkins as a guess, he took one against Wolves last season (scored it, consolation goal).

Hasn’t got a stellar record overall, but has scored 2 out 3 for us.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Gonna be fun if we’re 1-0 down at half time, since we sold our plan B.

You were one of the posters that tore me to shreds in the Duran thread for saying we needed to sign another striker. I based it on the fact that and I quote "Ings doesn't seem to be trusted by Emery", followed by "we need another striker immediately".

Your response was "no we dont". 

It was clear Ings was up for sale/loan and I was worried that Duran would be the only option aside from Watkins. Hence my concerns in that thread. 

I got dogs abuse for it. 

I never once said we should not have signed Duran, just that it was underwhelming given our current need for a proven striker. Yet my words got twisted around and I was strawmanned to the hilt.

I really hope you can at least be honest and admit that I had/have a point?

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

That’s the problem? I can’t remember who else has taken pens for us since we’ve owned him. Bailey maybe?

Don’t think Bailey has taken a pen for us, I think Bailey has the ability to hit a ball but composure/mindset  might let him down on penalties , I’ve never been convinced with Ollie taking them, I’d say JJ is the best finisher at the club but don’t think he’s the type to take the responsibility or his teammates might not let him, so out of the starting 11 maybe Douglas Luiz?