Pre Match Thread

MrBlack

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I'm seriously worried about this game. First, we were crap against Leeds. Second, the few attacking players we have may not be available.

If Ollie's still injured we just have to hope that Ingsy has one of his good matches. At least he should still be feeling pretty confident after his recent goals (good recent goal stats).

Saying we were crap against Leeds is fortunately only half the story: the first half story. In the second I think we were quite good. I just hope that v the Saints we're not like we were in that 1st half v Leeds, ffs, please no, i.e. not totally outplayed (bar the 3rd minute!) 

Edited by robby b

4 hours ago, robby b said:

If Ollie's still injured we just have to hope that Ingsy has one of his good matches. At least he should still be feeling pretty confident after his recent goals (good recent goal stats).

Saying we were crap against Leeds is fortunately only half the story: the first half story. In the second I think we were quite good. I just hope that v the Saints we're not like we were in that 1st half v Leeds, ffs, please no, i.e. not totally outplayed (bar the 3rd minute!) 

Ings local boy. He'll be up for it

the Southampton win over Everton was big for them, they will have their tails up.

I dunno, its a hard one, our league form is superb under Emery, and i think we are becoming a different team under him (but nowhere near the finished article), but historically this is exactly the type of game we would normally lose with some wappy performance.

The losses to Watford, Sheff utd, Bournemouth, Burnley, Fulham etc in the last couple of years give me PTSD.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It’s annoying that if we do manage to pick up another 3 points here, we’re likely to be still stuck in 11th place.

That top half ceiling!

In the top is all about winning streaks. We need to keep winning until the teams above us, fails to win.

Not that long ago we were down in 16/17 place,  5 points from 10 place. Even with our impressive run we are still 3 points from 10 place.

In other words we need to beat Southampton to keep up with the teams above us, and then we need to beat Leicester after that.

Problem is that Southampton seems to have found some sort of form, while we was far from impressive against Leeds, still I believe we should win this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Why is it that every time it’s our turn to play a bottom three team, we play them when they’ve found some form? 😒

To be fair they were crap when they came to VP earlier in the season. We were terrible and still managed to beat them. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I'm seriously worried about this game. First, we were crap against Leeds. Second, the few attacking players we have may not be available.

Ings-Buendia-Bailey has its flaws but it can create issues v one of worst defensives in the league. Unless some of them are injured. Ramsey also scored v them in September.

They're poor defending corners so we really need to step that up and try to get Konsa and Mings on the end of a few set pieces.

41 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Away kit 19/20 - Zero wins

3rd kit 20/21 - Zero wins

3rd kit 21/22 - Zero wins

every season there’s a cursed kit. We havent won in the away or 3rd yet this season. 

Didn’t we beat Burnleh (correct spelling 😏) in that green kit early 2021 when Wesley and Heston were crocked?

Edited by Strog

1 minute ago, Strog said:

Didn’t we beat Burnleh (correct spelling 😏) in that green kit early 2021 when Wesley and Heston were crocked?

New years day 2020 that was, we won 2-1. They beat us at Turf Moor in that REEEEEALLY frustrating 3-2 game in Jan 2021. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

As a Villa fan I'm thinking "We've been on a good run lately so no doubt due a loss"
If I was a Saints fan I'd be thinking "We've been on a good run lately so no doubt due a loss"

So.... 0-0 draw?

I could see a draw, maybe 1-1. Can't remember the last 3pm away kick off so looking forward to it anyway. 

If we do win, we will be probably the 3rd best form team since Emery came in which is excellent. Especially with games against the top 2 on the horizon.

This is one that gives us a chance to see where we are. Kamara is in great form.  The squad all sending positive vibes . And we have got 4 pts out of the last 6 whlle probably being second best on the night.

Southampton are finally getting their new manager bounce so we will need to be ultra resilient.  It is Emery vs Jones. Lets see how good our manager is as this is a game we would always struggle in over the years. 

• Like 2