Pre Match Thread

MrBlack

8 days is so long after that hard fought win, but is going to give everyone time to recover from that bruising display from Leeds.

Unlikely Digne or Watkins will be back for it though,  so we're going to be very short on options if we don't make another signing before the game.

The result here will be a real indicator as to how far we've come already under Emery, and perhaps give some foundation to our hopes of an outside chance at Europe, or reaffirm the fact we have a midtable squad.

Get Guendouzi or a new forward in before this game, do it early enough for them to get settled and play a part, and I think we'll be starting to worry all the teams outside the top 6.

Emery to make us the most in form team in the league?

I don't think Digne would start even if he was fit. Moreno was bought for a reason.

2-0 Villa and into the top half before the well deserved warm weather training in Dubai after losing to Stevenage. (Im clearly still pissed of about that)

• Like 1

Without Watkins up top I worry a little bit, Bailey can be electric but isn't a consistent goalscorer and Ings looks leggy, it'd be nice to have more options there.

We'll be difficult to break down with Kamara and Luiz shielding the back four and both centre halves in good form, so hopefully Buendia, Coutinho or Ramsey (or maybe a new boy) can produce enough moments of magic for us to snatch it.

An away win here and we'll start to appear on a fair few media radars.

• Like 2

Great to look forward to another game off the back of a win. This will be a tough game as they will be absolutely fighting for points. Assuming no new signing I’d go:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Moreno

Buendia Luiz Kamara Ramsey

Bailey Ings

If Watkins is fit I’d start him. Case for Coutinho to start with Buendia off the bench as well. 

You just knew archer going on loan typical one if our strikers gets injured.

Ings haa a terrible injury record too so we can be in real trouble if someone doesnt come in pending watkins injury.

Ings vs former club though so hopefully

I am expecting a similar game to last night. Another aggressively pressing team with lots of youth   Nathan Jones seems to have turned them round now with the 2 cup wins. Not going to be easy at all. The Prem has so mucb talent in it these days that you cannot take a single thing for granted. That said Southampton 2 - 6 Villa

• Haha 1

Southampton's performance against Man City was impressive, they'll be a tougher proposition than we might have thought a couple of weeks ago, but we still need to go there with the winning mentality. 

I suspect we might have one more player before this game, but who knows where. 

Either way, seems like Digne will definitely be out, unsure on Watkins. If he is out, we need to approach the game with Ings' strengths in mind. Or be maverick and play Leon and say Buendia upfront

Very winnable but they're showing some form in the cups and St Marys isn't a good away venue for us, was a dismal loss last season which was DS final game.

Will watch them v Everton at 3pm to see if they can translate the last week into a good 90 minute prem performance.

Feels a low chance frustrating 1-1.

Think we need to make another signing next week just to freshen things up in the final third.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Great to look forward to another game off the back of a win. This will be a tough game as they will be absolutely fighting for points. Assuming no new signing I’d go:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Moreno

Buendia Luiz Kamara Ramsey

Bailey Ings

If Watkins is fit I’d start him. Case for Coutinho to start with Buendia off the bench as well. 

It's evident how short we are as the only other option to that formation is the one you mention with Coutinho starting. Sanson another option in the middle.  That's it...

After their heroics v Man City in the league cup and today winning at Everton they're suddenly a very different prospect (plus they're still 'fighting for their lives'), drat! 🙄But if we beat them just imagine, 5/7 league wins for Unai, that would be amazing, come on !

I think Brighton away, is one of the toughest fixtures around right now, and we won, so, if we can replicate much of that performance, we could be in clover.

It will be tough and our approach needs to be tough.....Workrate once again will feature strongly.

These teams down the bottom are scrapping for points.....we have to be ready for that encounter, to get anything out of the game.

having said all that, we are coming as a form side, we have to build on it.

Edited by TRO

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Of course we’d catch these when they’re on a good run, obvious but Ward-Prowse is their main threat, if we can find a way to shut him down we can win - this includes no silly free kicks given away around the box (Luiz).

They've still only once once since mid October.

Yes cup wins are good but not like reaching final of league cup in 2020 massively improved our league form. Think we lost five straight after the Leicester second leg dramatic win.

Would be massively disappointed to lose this as I can't see them cutting us open as much as what Leeds and Wolves first half did.

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You just knew archer going on loan typical one if our strikers gets injured.

Ings haa a terrible injury record too so we can be in real trouble if someone doesnt come in pending watkins injury.

Ings vs former club though so hopefully

Surprised we haven't recalled him just sitting on their bench. The idea people think he's going to improve on Watkins and Ings tallies now is wishful thinking. Besides 7 of our league goals under Emery have been scored by players other than those 2