The Big Barry Climb Down

BOF

OK, I get you TRO (assuming you mean it the other way round - that the GB situation is the symptom resulting from a "disease" of transfer market, er, caution).

I'd accept that it's part of the "problem" but I don't actually see it as the cause.

The cause for me is very complex - a combination of an uneven playing field - uneven because Villa was (IMO) very badly run over a long period, in some respects, (resulting in poor on-field performance compared to what it should have been) That led to a self imposed handi-cap, particularly compared to Liverpool, who were successful on the field.

It's about the situation where being on mid-week ITV Euro league games is seen as the pinnacle for players.

It's about the way money dominates

It's about agents

It's about the nature of gifted sports people - they have to be utterly single minded and stubborn to succeed in their short careers.

It's about the disregard for anyone else but the self of clubs in the Prem. A "sod the "rules" they don't apply to us attitiude"

What we see is that (IMO) Villa in the last 2 years have come on a bundle both on and off the pitch, but there's still a gap to the top 4. Liverpool are in their own way trying to improve their situation so they are realistic challengers for the title. I don't think they'll do it, and I think they'll fall apart at some point. They're, for me, at serious risk of financial collapse. But that's their problem, not mine.

I totally share the view that Villa have not been adventurous in the transfer market. But then that's never really been a consistent way to achieve success. Longer term building seems a better bet, judging by precedent - Arsenal & Man U have a better model - exceedingly good manager, backed by his board to do things the way he decrees is right.

For all of Chelsea's recent good seasons, they are nowhere near sustainably successful. Blackburn bought the title then plummeted. Other than that, there's nothing to show for chucking huge sums at transfers.

MO'N is at the time of writing in serious eficit in terms of having a good enough squad to match, or improve upon last season, and GB going is a huge loss. Massive.

He needs to seriously address the situation, or he'll become another contender who could have been. But he has the opportunity. STatements to "show" we are a "buying club" are great for fans in the short term. Me I want results over seasons. I want us to have the best chance we can get of succeeeding. I don't mind if we don't make it, but I get angry if we don't try.

So far, we have in my view, tried not just to grow, but to grow in the "right" way, with the right principles. I won't lose my rag with the manager until or unless he fails to do the best he can.

If players on their 40 grand a week with their boot deals and international revival, gained in part through the work of the manager want to jump whip, that's their look-out, but I don't blame MON's transfer market foibles for it right now.

There's money available, there's a good club to be at or come to, there's 4 weeks to act.

If at the end of the 4 weeks, we're still as woefully short on quality and quantity as were now, then I could accept, or at least understand players thinking about going because of it. But GB wanted away in May/Late April, when there was none of the current concern.

This article is bollocks!

Why? Because you fail to highlight the fact that Barry is insistent on leaving, even after he gave his word (yes you mention it), that is the only reason we are selling him as we all know. Yet you blame the board as much as 'my word isn't worth shit' Barry. Why do our own fans have to badmouth the club. Go and support the bluenose.

This is worth repeating.

Seems the greater majority of you think this reflects poorly on MON and Lerner and, indeed, AVFC - as if they had any choice in this matter.

What they tried to do is get their captain's head back in the game:

- 3 weeks till the start of the season

- Liverpool have had months since they declared interest

- They match our valuation if they really want you, else you are staying and we plan our season.

Honourable, no? In the best interests of both the club and the player, no? Barry obviously thought so - he agreed to the deadline...

... and then changes his mind when it passes.

He is obviously intent on going - but not enough to hand in a formal transfer request. Wants his cake and eat it too, eh?

Make no mistake. While the club and MON need to wear some egg on face over this, it's Barry who is the culprit.

Gonna cheer him again in the next friendly? Sure you will. He's been a great servant. It's MON and lerner that needs booing.

I totally share the view that Villa have not been adventurous in the transfer market. But then that's never really been a consistent way to achieve success. Longer term building seems a better bet, judging by precedent - Arsenal & Man U have a better model - exceedingly good manager, backed by his board to do things the way he decrees is right.

For all of Chelsea's recent good seasons, they are nowhere near sustainably successful. Blackburn bought the title then plummeted. Other than that, there's nothing to show for chucking huge sums at transfers.

MO'N is at the time of writing in serious eficit in terms of having a good enough squad to match, or improve upon last season, and GB going is a huge loss. Massive.

He needs to seriously address the situation, or he'll become another contender who could have been. But he has the opportunity. STatements to "show" we are a "buying club" are great for fans in the short term. Me I want results over seasons. I want us to have the best chance we can get of succeeeding. I don't mind if we don't make it, but I get angry if we don't try.

So far, we have in my view, tried not just to grow, but to grow in the "right" way, with the right principles. I won't lose my rag with the manager until or unless he fails to do the best he can.

If players on their 40 grand a week with their boot deals and international revival, gained in part through the work of the manager want to jump whip, that's their look-out, but I don't blame MON's transfer market foibles for it right now.

There's money available, there's a good club to be at or come to, there's 4 weeks to act.

If at the end of the 4 weeks, we're still as woefully short on quality and quantity as were now, then I could accept, or at least understand players thinking about going because of it. But GB wanted away in May/Late April, when there was none of the current concern.

This is one of the best things I have read on here, that mirrors more or less exactly, my feelings on the long term direction of the club

nice one Blandy

This is one of the best things I have read on here, that mirrors more or less exactly, my feelings on the long term direction of the club

nice one Blandy

I agree, a very good post. And the key for me is the idea of "sustainable" success.

OK, I get you TRO (assuming you mean it the other way round - that the GB situation is the symptom resulting from a "disease" of transfer market, er, caution).

I'd accept that it's part of the "problem" but I don't actually see it as the cause.

The cause for me is very complex - a combination of an uneven playing field - uneven because Villa was (IMO) very badly run over a long period, in some respects, (resulting in poor on-field performance compared to what it should have been) That led to a self imposed handi-cap, particularly compared to Liverpool, who were successful on the field.

It's about the situation where being on mid-week ITV Euro league games is seen as the pinnacle for players.

It's about the way money dominates

It's about agents

It's about the nature of gifted sports people - they have to be utterly single minded and stubborn to succeed in their short careers.

It's about the disregard for anyone else but the self of clubs in the Prem. A "sod the "rules" they don't apply to us attitiude"

What we see is that (IMO) Villa in the last 2 years have come on a bundle both on and off the pitch, but there's still a gap to the top 4. Liverpool are in their own way trying to improve their situation so they are realistic challengers for the title. I don't think they'll do it, and I think they'll fall apart at some point. They're, for me, at serious risk of financial collapse. But that's their problem, not mine.

Blandy.... thank you for correcting my analogy... yes your right, so far.

Let me reflect on some of your points:

1) you say - I totally share the view that villa have not been adventurous in the transfer market....But then that has never been a consistent way to achieve success.

Answer......Yes it has, and is one of the most consistent components of success.

2) For all Chelsea's recent good seasons they are no where near sustainably successful.

Answer......Yes they are, they show no signs of faultering and have been a force for a consideable length of time.

3) I won't lose my rag with the manager unless he fails to do the best he can

Answer.....How may i pray is that quantifyable... it is pure personal feeling thats all it can be.

4) If at the end of the 4 weeks, we are still as woefully short on quality and quantity as we are now, then i could accept or at least understand players thinking about going because of it.

Answer..... your words not mine " woefully short on quality and quantity is a fair ole indictment in itself and is not associated with hunky dory"

I applaud your attitude in supporting the manager.... I was one that wanted him in and only him and i will continue to support him.

I would be a liar, if i said i am unconcerned at events and i would also be a liar if i said I thought all is great at B6....

.....there have been some terrific happenings during the last 2 years plus, but something ain't quite right for me and I'm not sure what it is.

.... perhaps in the fullness of time my doubt may be revealed.

I've finally gotten around to reading the article with more sober eyes and like the entire saga it seems to have divided opinion. It's 72 hours now since the deadline and the situation stays very much the same thus making the claims that Liverpool missed the deadline by a mere 15 minutes seem very much wide of the mark.

I had intended the article to portray my admiration in the handling of the situation up until the point where we we're seemingly forced into forfeiting the deadline. It was obvious from Martins statement at the Reading game that he was extremely reluctant and somewhat embarrassed at admitting he was powerless. I would also guess that such a rapid withdrawal would have involved the agent making a legal argument to render the deadline un-imposable. The discussion of transfers (or lack of) and MONs handling of them up to this point seems to have very little relevance to this saga apart from the fact that the uncertainty will have done nothing but hinder our activity in this window.

My only criticism of the club is that they cannot afford to take such a hard line and then fold their hand so quickly afterwards. If you put your neck out like this you have to make it stick, it can only reflect negatively in the eyes of supporters and the media. I very much doubt the club will make this mistake again. The board/management have hardly put a foot wrong since they took over but despite the very good PR that they generate and the very ethical stances they take even Randy/Lerner/O’Neill are not beyond being made to look a little foolish by the more unscrupulous elements of the game - hence "not all our futures will be so bright". Had the deadline stuck they would have been heroes in all of our eyes, in future I believe they will take a more cautious and quiet approach which is a sad conclusion in itself.

It is a testament to the fact that in the modern game the player and their agent are now king, they hold all the chips and know all the cards.

"It does appear that in all respects that we talk a very good game." - In retrospect that was a little far and was typed through beer filled fingers.

P.S. Cheers for posting my first article BOF.

lots of great stuff

nice one Blandy

apsolutely spot on, that article, as usual, Mr Bland. 8)

Â