VT Albums of the Year 2022

bickster

My likely album of the year doesn't drop for another twelve days - 1 Mile North's The Sunken Nest - I say this having only heard one track thus far, but 1MN got my 2020 AOTY vote with their previous LP and this is very much trending in the same direction.

That being said, this year I have mostly been enjoying (in no particular order):

• Holy Fawn - Dimensional Bleed
  • Brutus - Unison Life
  • Carpenter Brut - Leather Terror
  • Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
  • worriedaboutsatan - Bloodsport
  • VLMV - Sing With Abandon
  • Still Motions - Synthesis
  • Scalping - Void
  • Rolo Tomassi - Where Myth Becomes Memory
  • Pianos Become The Teeth - Drift
  • Jean Jean - Fog Infinite
  • Plaid - Feorm Falorx
  • Poly-Math - Zenith
  • HEISA - Outliar *cough* technically an EP but it feckin' slaps hard *cough*
  • Burden Limbs - It Can Never Be Satisfied
  • a-tota-so - Lights Out
  • Dead Bird - In The Absence Of
  • Sergeant Thunderhoof - This Sceptred Veil
  • NYOS - Celebration
  • Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation
  • Terraformer - Rebirth
  • Lost In Kiev - Rupture
  • And So I Watch You From Afar - Jettison
  • El Moono - Temple Corrupted
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them - Debris
  • Final Light - Final Light
  • Catbamboo - Fervor
  • Gilmore Trail - Impermanence
  • State Azure - Cepheus Origin
  • Nordic Giants - Symbiosis
  • FES - With Regards From Home
  • El Ten Eleven - New Year's Eve
  • Everything Everything - Raw Data Feel

And now for something a little different... 

DISHONOURABLE MENTIONS

The Mars Volta - The Mars Volta

Well look, I've tried.  I've really tried.  If Omar and Cedric want to write a smooth Latin R&B LP, more power to them.  Just... whatever this is, it's categorically not a Mars Volta record.  And yes, I get that the point of a Mars Volta record is there shouldn't be some singular sound or template that Mars Volta records have to prescribe to, and yes, who the merry feck am I to tell the guys that wrote what I hold to be the greatest album ever written what they should be doing BUT... it's nonsense.  Don't drop this bollocks and say dumb shit like (and I'm quoting verbatim here) "Losing ‘fans’ is baked into what we do. I don’t know a greater happiness than losing ‘fans’."

Also feel like the fact that all the setlists coming outta their US tour this year being 90% "old" material with very little of the new LP is telling on themselves a bit too, and that they know damn well they've flubbed this a bit.  I'm all for exploring new avenues, but they should have put this out under any one of Omar's bajillion other projects; a Mars Volta record, this ain't.

Phoxjaw - notverynicecream

Woof, where to start?  This was one of my most heavily anticipated records of the year, the three tracks dropped in the run-up were all bangers I kept on heavy rotation and when I caught 'em live for the first time earlier this year, they were immense.  For all intents and purposes, this was gonna be my stand-out pick for AOTY.

2000 Trees announced them on Facebook in the first raft of bands for their 2023 line-up.

Then there was a sexual abuse allegation made against the singer under that Facebook announcement.

Then 2000 Trees dropped them from the line-up.

Then the band put out a statement that they were refuting the allegations and going to the police.

Then the band announced absolutely everything related to the band was on hiatus, album pushed back to 2023 and they posted a link to a really weird, rambling statement from some... solicitor, I think?  It was odd.

Then radio silence from all concerned.  The record label, Hassle, haven't said anything throughout, and the band are still listed on their roster with pre-orders still up for the album.

It's a feckin' shit-show.

Two things I'd say, I stress as separate statements to any of the above:

1. The UK court system almost systematically fails victims of sexual abuse.
  2. The band will in all likelihood be DOA from this point forward.

Cheery thoughts to end on, I know.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Phoxjaw - notverynicecream

Woof, where to start?  This was one of my most heavily anticipated records of the year, the three tracks dropped in the run-up were all bangers I kept on heavy rotation and when I caught 'em live for the first time earlier this year, they were immense.  For all intents and purposes, this was gonna be my stand-out pick for AOTY.

2000 Trees announced them on Facebook in the first raft of bands for their 2023 line-up.

Then there was a sexual abuse allegation made against the singer under that Facebook announcement.

Then 2000 Trees dropped them from the line-up.

Then the band put out a statement that they were refuting the allegations and going to the police.

Then the band announced absolutely everything related to the band was on hiatus, album pushed back to 2023 and they posted a link to a really weird, rambling statement from some... solicitor, I think?  It was odd.

Then radio silence from all concerned.  The record label, Hassle, haven't said anything throughout, and the band are still listed on their roster with pre-orders still up for the album.

It's a feckin' shit-show.

Two things I'd say, I stress as separate statements to any of the above:

1. The UK court system almost systematically fails victims of sexual abuse.
  2. The band will in all likelihood be DOA from this point forward.

Cheery thoughts to end on, I know.

I'll come back to the rest of it but WTF is this? Is the rambling statement this http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=8900?

If so he is NOT a solicitor. He is a McKenzie friend which is VERY different. They are people who "assist" those going through proceedings but have a limited knowledge on law and usually through personal experience. They also likely have an agenda with it. As he states himself, he was a victim of false accusations so there we go. 

I wasn't even aware of this until your post but dodgy as hell. If he was a genuine victim of false allegations, he would be able to sue for defamation etc. 

Back on topic, genuinely always love this thread to come and check more out. 

However, like @bickster I have felt that there hasn't been quite as many top quality realises this year, rather a raft of "good" records. Will post over the next few days my musings. 

30 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I'll come back to the rest of it but WTF is this? Is the rambling statement this http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=8900?

If so he is NOT a solicitor. He is a McKenzie friend which is VERY different. They are people who "assist" those going through proceedings but have a limited knowledge on law and usually through personal experience. They also likely have an agenda with it. As he states himself, he was a victim of false accusations so there we go. 

I wasn't even aware of this until your post but dodgy as hell. If he was a genuine victim of false allegations, he would be able to sue for defamation etc. 

Yeah, that be it.  Whole thing absolutely stinks.

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Top of the pile by a considerable and increasing margin is Prioritise Pleasure by Self Esteem. Fantastic, just great. Lainey Wilson's Bell Bottom Country has also been a favourite this year. In addition new albums by Miranda Lambert and Luke Combs have received significant play. This years Taylor Swift album Midnights is getting a lot of play over the past few weeks. I stress though, Self Esteem, such a perfect album.

Self Esteem was in my Spotify Unwrapped Top 5 artists, although I was a bit surprised by that. But agree it's a very good (if not "great") album.

I can't get my head round Taylor Swift. I've tried to give her a chance, but it's just so... vanilla.

Think you'll like Nilüfer Yanya - start with her song Melt from an earlier album and see if you like it, then give the 2022 album a go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Self Esteem was in my Spotify Unwrapped Top 5 artists, although I was a bit surprised by that. But agree it's a very good (if not "great") album.

I can't get my head round Taylor Swift. I've tried to give her a chance, but it's just so... vanilla.

Think you'll like Nilüfer Yanya - start with her song Melt from an earlier album and see if you like it, then give the 2022 album a go.

Melt is my kind of pop, like Griff. Will listen to the album this weekend. 

• Like 1

Fontaines DC and its not even close for me

I love you as the best song too

Arctic monkeys the car is disappointing on the basis that its not what anyone other than Alex Turner wants the band to be, Liam Gallagher lyrically is **** horrific, kendrick was alright

As I've only purchased one album this year , the winner  is .........drum roll

Suede  , Autofiction 

I think their last album The Blue Hour had some stronger individual tracks (life is Golden , Tides etc) , but Autofiction probably edges it as an all-round album 

seeing them perform the Album live in March  ..along with some of the hits 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

THANK YOU.

I just don't get the love, at all.  

• Thanks 1