Best Ever Homegrown XI

MWARLEY2

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Weimann just not a very good footballer. Likeable character with a great attitude, but he’s an Andre Green type, and Gabby gets in ahead of him any day of the week if we’re doing PL era.

Anyway, Dwight Yorke played youth football here so surely he gets the nod if that’s how we’re deciding it?

Dwight Yorke had 10 international caps before he joined our youth set up. Hard for me to call him our youth product

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hendrie has to be in there surely. Light years ahead of some of the other midfielders mentioned. 

For us yes but just like Gabby another that retired at 30 from a proper level. Steven Davis for example was sold too soon and is still playing. He has played 2 European finals and captained his country at a Euros and has over 300 Premier League games under his belt

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For us yes but just like Gabby another that retired at 30 from a proper level. Steven Davis for example was sold too soon and is still playing. He has played 2 European finals and captained his country at a Euros and has over 300 Premier League games under his belt

Surely we’re taking players at their peak? For a few seasons Hendrie and Gabby were much better players than Davis and Weimann, just didn’t look after themselves very well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Surely we’re taking players at their peak? For a few seasons Hendrie and Gabby were much better players than Davis and Weimann, just didn’t look after themselves very well.

I read it as players careers coming from the academy entire career and not what they did here

In that case Liam Ridgewell would be ahead of Gary Cahill 😛

Edited by Zatman

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Also we can’t forget Ugo

Wasn't there an urban rumour that Ron Atkinson knew Ugo's contract was up on a certain day and nipped in and signed him before WBA could re sign him ? 

On 26/11/2022 at 17:18, Zatman said:

It did make me laugh that when we appointed MON he then quickly despatched both fellow Northern Ireland countryman Davis, and Aaron Hughes for not much money. Both then went on to play for a long time and were equally as good or better than many of their more expensive replacements at Villa for years afterwards.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It did make me laugh that when we appointed MON he then quickly despatched both fellow Northern Ireland countryman Davis, and Aaron Hughes for not much money. Both then went on to play for a long time and were equally as good or better than many of their more expensive replacements at Villa for years afterwards.

We sold Davies for £4m one or two years later he was sold for £3m I would have expect at his age the price should have gone up.

Aaron Hughes we brought for £1 or £1.5 million and sold him for around the same it would have been nice to have made a profit on him.

I liked them both but saw them moving on as part of the circle of footballers lives,

On 26/11/2022 at 15:36, messi11 said:

Close thread. I remember seeing that and honestly thinking Liverpool would stick 10 past us as they started a very strong 11 that night and there was no crowd in play to lift us either. To go in at half time at 1-1 was a minor miracle.

Shows how tough it is that pretty much two years on and I don't think any of them ever made any senior appearances for us, Kesler making the bench for two prem games as good as it got so far and we've released a few who will hopefully have decent careers lower down.

Just scrolling through a few 11s and I know it ended badly but really Gabby needs to be in there. From 2006-11 he scored double figures in prem four seasons running, countless winners in derbies and v top 6 teams and won about 5-6 caps for England so he certainly should be ahead of someone like Wiemann.

For all his flaws aswell Hendrie had about 10 seasons with us as a first choice and was probably unlucky not to get more England caps at certain stages of his career here.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 17:13, Xela said:

Hendrie has to be in there surely. Light years ahead of some of the other midfielders mentioned. 

Hendrie I always thought was unlucky to play in era he did of rigid 4-4-2s. I always thought he was too lightweight to be a CM in a 4-4-2, much better being given a wider role with licence to drift from wide and buzz around forward line. 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formations today would be brilliant for him.

He basically had the career Grealish probably would've if the penny hadn't dropped around 2018 as were very similar traits in both up to that. Grealish kicked with mid 20s approaching, Hendrie didn't and his top level career was over before he even hit 30.

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hughes as actual CB was missed opportunity considering what we signed after him and how we generally played with a deep line, was great for Fulham for many seasons in that position.

Davis broke through quite well but I wasn't too bothered when he left. Nice career but we were strong for many seasons after at CM with Petrov eventually getting going and Barry, Milner etc moved centrally to great effect so if Davis had stayed that might not have happened.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Close thread. I remember seeing that and honestly thinking Liverpool would stick 10 past us as they started a very strong 11 that night and there was no crowd in play to lift us either. To go in at half time at 1-1 was a minor miracle.

Shows how tough it is that pretty much two years on and I don't think any of them ever made any senior appearances for us, Kesler making the bench for two prem games as good as it got so far and we've released a few who will hopefully have decent careers lower down.

Just scrolling through a few 11s and I know it ended badly but really Gabby needs to be in there. From 2006-11 he scored double figures in prem four seasons running, countless winners in derbies and v top 6 teams and won about 5-6 caps for England so he certainly should be ahead of someone like Wiemann.

For all his flaws aswell Hendrie had about 10 seasons with us as a first choice and was probably unlucky not to get more England caps at certain stages of his career here.

Lindley played a cup game last season

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hughes as actual CB was missed opportunity considering what we signed after him and how we generally played with a deep line, was great for Fulham for many seasons in that position.

Davis broke through quite well but I wasn't too bothered when he left. Nice career but we were strong for many seasons after at CM with Petrov eventually getting going and Barry, Milner etc moved centrally to great effect so if Davis had stayed that might not have happened.

We replaced Davis for an overpriced downgrade in Reo Coker. Another in the Gabby mould that dropped off the football radar at about 30

Â