World Cup: Matches

Genie

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think the host nation has ever lost the opening game

The host nation playing the opening game is relatively new though isn't it?

Used to be the champion, 2002 was France vs Senegal, I'm sure 94 was Germany vs Bolivia, want to say 98 was something like Brazil vs South Africa, 06 I can't remember, 2010 was South Africa vs someone where the guy who's name I can't spell scored a screamer

So it changed in 06 or 10

Edit -  looked it up, 98 was Brazil vs Scotland

Edited by villa4europe

Those rumours of Ecuador players being bribed seems to have gone quiet. Odds on an own goal?

Won't be watching, don't care about the result, hopefully dodgy decisions trigger an immediate investigation and the whole thing gets called off for a major match fixing scandal.  Not sure who would be investigating though, everyone that should care seems to be in on the act.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The host nation playing the opening game is relatively new though isn't it?

Used to be the champion, 2002 was France vs Senegal, I'm sure 94 was Germany vs Bolivia, want to say 98 was something like Brazil vs South Africa, 06 I can't remember, 2010 was South Africa vs someone where the guy who's name I can't spell scored a screamer

So it changed in 06 or 10

Edit -  looked it up, 98 was Brazil vs Scotland

It is new but was more the opening game for themselves I dont think they have lost and teams like South Africa, USA and Japan/Korea have hosted

South Africa is the only host to go out in the first round