Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My only complaint is the star, we should have gone back to the FA and told them a proper one was happening, if they refused again we should have kicked off a PR stunt and social media campaign against them which if that didn't work we should have binned it off

I don't understand this. We were to tell them a  proper star was happening? What is it they've already refused? We should have kicked off a PR stunt about what, and what sort of PR stunt, and then we should have binned off our PR stunt or we should have binned off the star?

It's a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't understand this. We were to tell them a  proper star was happening? What is it they've already refused? We should have kicked off a PR stunt about what, and what sort of PR stunt, and then we should have binned off our PR stunt or we should have binned off the star?

It's a lot.

It's perfectly simple. We need a proper star. Like Betelgeuse. Not like the Proxima Centauri nancy star one we have there. 

If that didn't work, and the FA were not willing to allow us to include a to scale image of Betelgeuse on our crest, we should do a PR stunt. Like what Joe Lycett did, but instead of shredding £10k we threaten to block out earth's sun by causing an eruption of a major volcano. And after we've threatened that and gotten sufficient likes on Facebook, if they still won't allow us what we want, then we'll just not bother with a star at all, and start our own FA on a planet where they're not so anti star, and gravity allows the playing of football on grass and there's oxygen.

Maybe you should try reading before asking silly questions.

• Like 1

If the FA would not allow a star above the badge, we could have easily incorporated it into the ring with Aston Villa and 1874.  Perhaps 18 and 74 split like the previous poster has it in their mock up- but with the star centered on the bottom within the ring?  Then the lion is alone and prominent.

I'd like to see a mock up of that.

I really like it. Considering how it could have gone (see: our last badge, Leeds badge, Everton badge), we really have to be happy with that. Bit disappointed we’re also now in the generic circle brigade but it does feel like it retains some classic styling rather than just a digital dream. 

5 hours ago, YLN said:

It's perfectly simple. We need a proper star. Like Betelgeuse. Not like the Proxima Centauri nancy star one we have there. 

If that didn't work, and the FA were not willing to allow us to include a to scale image of Betelgeuse on our crest, we should do a PR stunt. Like what Joe Lycett did, but instead of shredding £10k we threaten to block out earth's sun by causing an eruption of a major volcano. And after we've threatened that and gotten sufficient likes on Facebook, if they still won't allow us what we want, then we'll just not bother with a star at all, and start our own FA on a planet where they're not so anti star, and gravity allows the playing of football on grass and there's oxygen.

Exactly

But seriously I think purslow should have got his talksport soapbox out and had a moan ahead of a second attempt at getting the full size star above the badge, make a lot of noise get a lot of attention let people know what we achieved that way and then if they still say no then go with nothing because spreading the message has still been achieved

As it is the little star to me always feels like a compromise, its look at us we're a big club who won the European Cup... But we're not so big that we can challenge the FA on where that star can go

I'd move the star to the back collar personally

Edited by villa4europe

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly

But seriously I think purslow should have got his talksport soapbox out and had a moan ahead of a second attempt at getting the full size star above the badge, make a lot of noise get a lot of attention let people know what we achieved that way and then if they still say no then go with nothing because spreading the message has still been achieved

As it is the little star to me always feels like a compromise, its look at us we're a big club who won the European Cup... But we're not so big that we can challenge the FA on where that star can go

I'd move the star to the back collar personally

Aha! 

Okay, so what you're saying is that you'd have liked the star above the badge and outside of the main body of the crest?

I'm not sure the FA have actually veto'ed that, if you look at the Forest badge for example, their stars are above the main logo - I think the FA veto thing is a bit of a myth, although I might be wrong on that. Certainly the club in its consultations never mentioned it as something they've wanted and been unable to achieve to the best of my knowledge and I think any attempt to do it would have been a first attempt, not a second.

I don't think it's something that the club and designers would have wanted to do because it creates issues where the crest is used in a small format digitally or in the written press, finding ways to produce a tiny star for the little identifier on twitter or the badge when used in newspapers for line ups is really tricky - Forest's stars are quite large. To add our star above the main body of the crest would mean shrinking the main body of the crest when presenting it in order to make room for the star to be shown. I suspect that has more to do with it than any sort of argument with the football authorities.

In terms of the star's presence within the crest, that's come as a result of the preference from fans - more than 80% wanted it in there - there are regulatory reasons why, once the club has consulted with the fanbase, it can't easily be then seen to ignore that consultation. If the club had decided to omit the star altogether after the survey results, there is very chance their plans may have been veto'ed by the FA.

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Think we can all agree its alot better than the current one. More detail on the lion and just looka significantly better.

Also the star looks smaller which im happy about.

I think the new badge would haved looked great on the 3rd kit in black and yellow.shame we wont see it. Dont know if ayone can do mockups but would love to see it!

Screenshot_20221111-171227_Facebook.jpg

The lion on the new badge is too skinny. It has no body to it, it looks like it's got one long leg and it's out of proportion with it's head.

The badge is growing on me but the lion really is a poor design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The lion on the new badge is too skinny. It has no body to it, it looks like it's got one long leg and it's out of proportion with it's head.

The badge is growing on me but the lion really is a poor design.

I like the lion being “skinny”, it reminds me of being back on safari in Africa seeing the lion waking up at dusk and being hungry and ready for the hunt.  

They look so skinny at that point but determined unlike the following morning after feeding and their belly’s look like the average shirtless Newcastle fan at their home games.  

So I like our “skinny” lion, looking ready for hunt of the game, in prime fitness and ready to fight any situation and everybody moves out the way.

On 21/11/2022 at 01:14, YLN said:

Hate to get all nerdy on you, but Betelgeuse could go nova any day now. A symbol of the Dr Xia years? 

I don't think we should be wearing a star unless we're playing in the Champions League, then i'd wear it separately and above the crest.

I think it's an unnecessary part of the badge which clutters something that is otherwise pretty minimalist. I think it's a bit small time.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think we should be wearing a star unless we're playing in the Champions League, then i'd wear it separately and above the crest.

I think it's an unnecessary part of the badge which clutters something that is otherwise pretty minimalist. I think it's a bit small time.

You may not like it but I don’t get how it’s “small time”.  

If you mean compared to Real Madrid and Liverpool who are regular winners so are always connected to the competition then fine but a club like us showing we have won it in a small way for something every club are trying to win and many don’t is anything but small time.  

We don’t play CL football now and unlikely to for some time but that doesn’t mean we should only represent it when we play that competition that doesn’t make sense.  

I still find it hard that people don’t want to represent the finest point in our club’s history, something many other clubs haven’t done and this small symbol is just a reminder to all we have.  Nothing small time in that, it’s very proud mark of our history without flouting it.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

Â