Are we a Dirty Team?

Zatman

23 hours ago, BOF said:

There's different kinds of dirty. We're not hackers in the Burnley style. We're getting a bit more streetwise with time wasting. We go on about Martinez's shithousing but Sunday was only his 3rd card of the season. I think we were too nice up to now. Gerrard got us a bit nastier than Smith had us playing, and Emery will be able to get us doing it more cleverly and with nuance I'd say.

If the likes of Brighton start complaining about us then that's a good thing. There's nothing worse than being everyone's favourite opponent. You know you're becoming relevant again when everyone starts to hate you.

And this is only the beginning :lol:

On the Money.

• Thanks 1

Dirty Team.....what an absolute joke.

We have been one of the softest teams in the league.

One source reported Fouls 12 to Brighton and 11 to Villa

we get 7 yellows, they get 2.

This bias reporting has to be countered.....it's a joke, if it was funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

How many of our yellows were for fouls though? I’m guessing 4/5 were for “game management tactics”.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

How many of our yellows were for fouls though? I’m guessing 4/5 were for “game management tactics”.

so, we are not dirty, which was my point.

maybe, so how do other teams get away with it?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s not a shithouse. He’s a brick shithouse!!!

a couple more of them in the squad please....to juggle with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

The PL also has on average 20.9 fouls per game so villa should be responsible for 10.5 of them

So far in 15 PL games ours have gone over that average 11times and we've been over 10.5 on 9 occasions 

Like I said before I don't think this is something emery has instilled in us, what 2e saw vs Brighton was nothing new or special, I think it was Gerrard and I would expect emery to balance it somewhere between us being a cleaner less scrappy team in general but still very capable of some dark arts to win us games

Vs Leeds and forest we were more than happy for those games to be dragged in to the mud and become fiesty on purpose, we were dirty (Leeds were obviously even dirtier) I don't see that happening in the future, we will have more control

There's a difference, I think, between dirty and cynical. Dirty teams are your cloggers who basically turn up to put in nasty tackles, kick the opposition around the pitch and aim to level the playing field through dangerous and vicious play.

Cynical sides will intentionally make fouls when it's expedient to do so, time waste, use the referee and the rules to their advantage, go down easily, draw fouls, etc.

I think we're the latter. And we need to be. We've been soft for years, playing naively as well as badly. We aren't going out to batter teams, we aren't doing grim tackles or intentionally roughing up the opposition, but we will time waste, we will make professional fouls, we do have attackers that will go down easily. All the best sides so this now, sadly, and it's what the game is. The most lauded manager in the league has a specific tactic of rotating players making cynical fouls when their opposition brand from corners etc etc. It's a grim cynical move, but it works. We need more of that cutthroat element, and we've gained some already. We just have to be careful that we do it smartly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The PL also has on average 20.9 fouls per game so villa should be responsible for 10.5 of them

So far in 15 PL games ours have gone over that average 11times and we've been over 10.5 on 9 occasions 

Like I said before I don't think this is something emery has instilled in us, what 2e saw vs Brighton was nothing new or special, I think it was Gerrard and I would expect emery to balance it somewhere between us being a cleaner less scrappy team in general but still very capable of some dark arts to win us games

Vs Leeds and forest we were more than happy for those games to be dragged in to the mud and become fiesty on purpose, we were dirty (Leeds were obviously even dirtier) I don't see that happening in the future, we will have more control

The stats may not agree with me, but I think we are more clumsy, than dirty........sometimes, being fractionally slower to the ball, can look worse than what it is.

I think we are far from Dirty, in the true sense of the word.....for some time now, we have been accused of being slow on the uptake, in terms of being streetwise.....so they can't have it both ways.

We have been accused of having a soft underbelly, which I agree with, that flys in the face of being dirty.

The truth is......We resist, from being turned over and the accusations of being dirty raise their ugly head.....its typical, of teams who thought we was there for the taking, because a while back, we was.....They then come across a team who refuses to be bullied, and they don't like it.

Brighton, need to have a little glance over to themselves......That challenge on Cash, which Troussard was penalised for.....That challenge on Luiz for Mac Alisters goal, could have been ruled out on another day.......They are not saints themselves.

I still think Solly Marchs challenge on Lucas Digne was a foul, but just my opinion.......so they need to look at themselves, a bit.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a difference, I think, between dirty and cynical. Dirty teams are your cloggers who basically turn up to put in nasty tackles, kick the opposition around the pitch and aim to level the playing field through dangerous and vicious play.

Cynical sides will intentionally make fouls when it's expedient to do so, time waste, use the referee and the rules to their advantage, go down easily, draw fouls, etc.

I think we're the latter. And we need to be. We've been soft for years, playing naively as well as badly. We aren't going out to batter teams, we aren't doing grim tackles or intentionally roughing up the opposition, but we will time waste, we will make professional fouls, we do have attackers that will go down easily. All the best sides so this now, sadly, and it's what the game is. The most lauded manager in the league has a specific tactic of rotating players making cynical fouls when their opposition brand from corners etc etc. It's a grim cynical move, but it works. We need more of that cutthroat element, and we've gained some already. We just have to be careful that we do it smartly.

Totally agree.....If you can't beat them ( and we have proved we can't...fairly) join them, and we have.

simples.

I think we are a tactically dirty team this season but it’s also part of the game. We’re getting yellow cards which will eventually lead to suspensions so not it’s like we are going to get away with it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Changed the word slightly

I don't think we are or have been a dirty team, not for a long time. We are however a clumsy team, or at have been. I would say that a bit or dirtiness, steel in any side is required to be successful. Hopefully we do become a little nastier and less passive. It's the least I expect during Emery's tenure. 

• Like 1

All good sides have a bit of bite about them. People drool over Man City’s silky skills but they’re not afraid of the physical side. They commit plenty of cynical fouls when it suits them, the pundits call it tactical or clever when they do it. Similarly with time wasting, when it’s them pundits call it game management, with us we’re spoiling the game.

The fact that we have threads in here like this one just adds grist to their mill. No we’re not a dirty team and up until now we’ve been awful at game management. Basically we now have a manager who has recognised this and done something about it. 

• Like 1

There aren’t really *any* dirty teams in the Premier League anymore. It’s so hard to get away with anything. Nowadays it’s more cynical stuff like taking a yellow or time wasting.

The days of being able to kick a team off the park have gone. There’s still a place for being tough and physical, but you can’t do the old dark arts without VAR picking it up… unless you’re Man Utd.

Â