• Young (Ramsey 69)
    • Bailey (Buendía 74)
    • Augustinsson (Digne 82)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 83)
    • Archer (Ings 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/11/22 at 23:59

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

In a World of mass social media, and you find the recording of professional footballers getting off a coach bizarre? Get a grip.

Children recording it, awe-struck by their heroes walking past them, completely understand. 

Adults watching fellow adults get off a coach, I think is a little different. 

Your passion in telling me to "get a grip" leads me to believe you'd be recording the coach-leavers too, so let's leave this here. Was just curious is all. 

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Children recording it, awe-struck by their heroes walking past them, completely understand. 

Adults watching fellow adults get off a coach, I think is a little different. 

Your passion in telling me to "get a grip" leads me to believe you'd be recording the coach-leavers too, so let's leave this here. Was just curious is all. 

Well, there you go, think of the kids. It's a bit like my view on replica tops, great on children, adults, not so much.

Edited by sheepyvillian

I've checked and this is only the second time since we returned to the Premier League that we've come from behind away from home to win. The only other time was against Spurs in the 20/21 season when Bergwijn scored after 8 minutes and then a Reguilon own goal (20) and an Ollie Watkins winner (39) sealed the 3 points.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I've checked and this is only the second time since we returned to the Premier League that we've come from behind away from home to win. The only other time was against Spurs in the 20/21 season when Bergwijn scored after 8 minutes and then a Reguilon own goal (20) and an Ollie Watkins winner (39) sealed the 3 points.

More please....." get back to your seat Oliver, you greedy boy"

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, BOF said:

There's always a nerd to rely on😜.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

They got two corners they should not have had because of the linesman's inadequacy.

That might have been costly for us.

What is it with that now? If it's offside, they keep the flag down, then win a corner and it's a corner?

• Like 1

We are starting to worry a few in the media, we must be doing something right. 

FWIW Brighton were nothing special and I can see them fading without Potter, got a couple of decent players but some very poor ones as well.

19 hours ago, TRO said:

50/50 for me.....If playing out from the back, is a common theme, you have to be ready and switched on, a simple pass to Lucas Digne, would have been on, bar for a lackadaisical response......Albeit a foul, could have been given.

However, I do agree, Martinez, was untypically dim, in his decision, to play the short ball upfield, directly in front of his own goal....we have to cut out these stupid errors....There was no reason, to not play it to Mings.

I agree that Luiz should have been more switched on, however the presser was within 3 yards of Luiz, he had many passes on that wouldn't leave the recipient having to fend off an opponent as soon as the ball was received. It was that poor choice that was the root cause.

Just delighted with the Come back.

However a word of caution. None of the current tactics will help us get through a low block. That is the real weakness of this team since we got promoted. Teams that come at us we can counter, and defend in numbers against. Smith and Gerrard were both capable of this, Gerrard's Man City draw wasn't lucky. 

The low block, with little intent to commit against us is our kryptonite!

Hopefully Emery can remedy this well known weak point.

• Like 1

Missed the match Saturday and only got round to watching highlights yesterday. My take...

That's more often than not a foul on Luiz. I was expecting a proper howler from what I'd read. It wasn't great, but he got between the player and the ball and was brought down.

The 'penalty' for Digne's tackle I was expecting to be stonewall - I didn't think it was a penalty in real time or in slow mo. I think it could equally have been given as a foul against the Brighton player to be honest the way he came in and clattered Digne (and with a bit more momentum could have broken his leg the way his weight went down onto Digne's knee). Seen them given, sure, but I don't think I'd be screaming for a pen if it was against us.

Some more fantastic one-touch passing and moving into space for some of our chances. Our attacking play looks worlds away from where it was

The defensive shape looked great towards the end. I actually enjoyed MOTD2's analysis of it, which is a first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blunther said:

Missed the match Saturday and only got round to watching highlights yesterday. My take...

That's more often than not a foul on Luiz. I was expecting a proper howler from what I'd read. It wasn't great, but he got between the player and the ball and was brought down.

The 'penalty' for Digne's tackle I was expecting to be stonewall - I didn't think it was a penalty in real time or in slow mo. I think it could equally have been given as a foul against the Brighton player to be honest the way he came in and clattered Digne (and with a bit more momentum could have broken his leg the way his weight went down onto Digne's knee). Seen them given, sure, but I don't think I'd be screaming for a pen if it was against us.

Some more fantastic one-touch passing and moving into space for some of our chances. Our attacking play looks worlds away from where it was

The defensive shape looked great towards the end. I actually enjoyed MOTD2's analysis of it, which is a first.

Brighton seemed to adopt this tactic a lot....driving their foot between the opposing player and the ball, when the ball is in close proximity, to the player in possession, (particulalry when there is an execution in place to kick it).( how can you pull out?).....That easily results in a foul, when you have contact with the player first, because you have almost prized them away from the ball....thats a foul in my eyes.

If the gap is huge, and they just nip in, by being quicker to the ball, that's different.

Pressing, is a huge part of the modern game, but the lines can be blurred at times, under the above conditions.....bullying when you have the ball, is a fine dividing line between that and fouling.

I love tackling, in a game....but playing the man first, is also creeping in, and it should be outlawed.

Just watched the game now.

Would have voted

Ings potm

Emery v good

ref average

time wasting quality? poor ... unnecessary by and large ... I reckon five yellows for time wasting ...  some disguised as fouls. 

Martinez good apart from the back pass
Cash good no bad mistakes
Konsa solid
Mings very solid ... a lot of captainey behaviour
Digne Solid
Kamara my second choice for potm
Luiz third choice for potm
McGinn a good game compared to most of the season, but I still don't get. (Nice Scottish goal off topic_)
Beundia moments of brilliance and a lot of running ... 
Ramsey a good game ... I like Ramsey hope he continues to grow.
Ings ... The potm... Not just because he scored ... he looked/was really involved in the game

The Digne incident, six of one, half a dozen of the other. Marsh was lucky he did not hurt Digne. To me it looked reckless. On the other hand, it could have gone the other way. The VAR Capricious Gods were on our side today.
McGinn's penalty ... yep, but it was unnecessary
Seven yellow cards ... five I thought were deserved ... Kamara's and Bailey's not. Reduce the ineffable time wasting.

A good win ... I'm hoping for at least three points from the next two games (against the odds, I know).

And that was the late report from just west of the Rockies

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2022 at 04:46, fruitvilla said:

Just watched the game now.

Would have voted

Ings potm

Emery v good

ref average

time wasting quality? poor ... unnecessary by and large ... I reckon five yellows for time wasting ...  some disguised as fouls. 

Martinez good apart from the back pass
Cash good no bad mistakes
Konsa solid
Mings very solid ... a lot of captainey behaviour
Digne Solid
Kamara my second choice for potm
Luiz third choice for potm
McGinn a good game compared to most of the season, but I still don't get. (Nice Scottish goal off topic_)
Beundia moments of brilliance and a lot of running ... 
Ramsey a good game ... I like Ramsey hope he continues to grow.
Ings ... The potm... Not just because he scored ... he looked/was really involved in the game

The Digne incident, six of one, half a dozen of the other. Marsh was lucky he did not hurt Digne. To me it looked reckless. On the other hand, it could have gone the other way. The VAR Capricious Gods were on our side today.
McGinn's penalty ... yep, but it was unnecessary
Seven yellow cards ... five I thought were deserved ... Kamara's and Bailey's not. Reduce the ineffable time wasting.

A good win ... I'm hoping for at least three points from the next two games (against the odds, I know).

And that was the late report from just west of the Rockies

I concur.

I have a thing against McGinn generally as I just think we can do SOOOO much better, even with players in our own squad. But a lot of people are raving about his performance when all I saw was average when every other appearance I have seen for two years (at least) has been below average or even poor. To me he just looks so limited and one dimensional, and I know he has some decent passes in him and a goal but maybe its the Premier League, maybe he just doesn’t have teeth time and space to exploit his game. Anyway, I thought his performance was average and I really hope we upgrade that position and put the whole debate to bed. Frank Kessie might be the solution?

Â