Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Out of interest, who are the people that Musk bought Twitter from?

I made about £3 off it a few days ago, Twitter was still publicly traded and every share got sold at the agreed price the moment it went through. Kind of crazy that the price was lower than the sale price, wish I had more forethought and bought more of it!

• Like 2

Musk is a rich kid who made a few lucky moves early on and made enough money that everything else, provided he didn't do anything particularly brainless, would keep him rich to the end of his days.

His lauding is one of the more disturbing things modern society. He's a moral vacuum, a nasty bastard who started life in the easy lane and carried on.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tesla stock price is built on sand. That’s gonna collapse at some point. Musk himself has sold billions worth of it this year.

Yup, it's hilarious compared to other major car companies. US tech prices are based on dreams.

Tesla is apparently "worth" $716 billion. More than the below combined:

• Ford ($53bn)
  • Volkswagon Group ($65bn)
  • Honda ($41bn)
  • BMW ($52bn)
  • Fiat ($13bn)

In 2021 Tesla sold less than a million cars. BMW sold over 2 million, Ford sold about 4 million. VW sold about 5 million.

Tesla's 2021 revenue was $54bn. VW's was $250bn. Ford's was $136bn

I'd compare profits, but...lol.

Less market penetration than any of them, less profit than any of them, less revenue than any of them. "Worth" more than triple all of the above combined.

It's a joke of a company, valued an order of magnitude more than it's worth, and it hardly sells any cars, and the quality is shit on those it sells. Their only hope of being anything other than a collapsed joke is for their battery and self driving tech to be so good it's licensed to other companies, and that looks less and less likely with each month that goes by.

Meanwhile their CEO is trolling the internet and dropping major design changes on his engineering teams via tweets (see the cybertruck that's now also a boat. Their designers literally learned that in the news when he declared it, several years into its development).

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

His lauding is one of the more disturbing things modern society. He's a moral vacuum, a nasty bastard who started life in the easy lane and carried on.

When you put it like that, he sounds like a future president.

Apparently one of Elon’s first priorities is to charge $20 a month for the blue tick which shows an account is authentic.

If I were chief for the day and wanted to kill the platform quickly that’s what I would do.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently one of Elon’s first priorities is to charge $20 a month for the blue tick which shows an account is authentic.

If I were chief for the day and wanted to kill the platform quickly that’s what I would do.

Hilarious.

They only give out blue ticks to people from certain industries. We've applied a number of times and been rejected every time

We certainly won't be paying for it and I doubt most "celebs" will either. The ones with managed accounts might but those that run their own twitter really won't be arsed with that, nor will the politicians, the small businesses etc

So then you remove the ticks and that spawns all number of parody / fake accounts... and then all the famous people just leave the platform.

Shares tank.

Musk disappears up his own arse

• Like 1

My guess is that Tesla will be sold to one of the real car companies around who can cannibalise some of the actual good stuff about Tesla. Battery tech, self driving, charging network, on board tech and so on.

It's a shame that the owner of the company is a turd, but let's not forget who founded Ford, who built the Nazi war machine, the Japanese death squad equipment + kamikaze planes and so on. The car industry isn't exactly rich in good samaritan owners\founders.

Twitter has been a radioactive swamp for years. If people haven't left it already they surely will now.
Edited by magnkarl

Just now, Genie said:

Hopefully the newly rich, ex-twitter directors have a plan to bring out a Twitter2.0 which fixes the shit with the current one and puts it out of business.

I think it's so established now it'd take Musk driving it into the ground to do that

Social networks have come and gone in the past, but that was when the internet was much less mature. The likes of MySpace, while they had an enormous audience, didn't have the massive buy in from media and other organisations. I think the big social networks are pretty much locked in now and it'd take them going out of business for them to be supplanted.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

My guess is that Tesla will be sold to one of the real car companies around who can cannibalise some of the actual good stuff about Tesla. Battery tech, self driving, charging network, on board tech and so on.

It's a shame that the owner of the company is a turd, but let's not forget who founded Ford, who built the Nazi war machine, the Japanese death squad equipment + kamikaze planes and so on. The car industry isn't exactly rich in good samaritan owners\founders.

I don’t think anyone would buy Tesla, especially at the insane value it has. It’s a 1 trick pony which could brag about being first to market. The designs aren’t great. The quality is terrible. It has never made a profit.

Everybody now has a range of electric cars. There’s nothing new or unique about Tesla anymore.

Their market share will shrink and shrink and be swallowed up by the traditional brands. Tesla won’t be able to survive as a small niche brand. They’ve already said their new plants are burning billions of dollars because they can’t build enough cars. 

The other advantage everyone else will have is having some ICE cars in the stable to create another revenue stream. 

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think anyone would buy Tesla, especially at the insane value it has. It’s a 1 trick pony which could brag about being first to market. The designs aren’t great. The quality is terrible. It has never made a profit.

Everybody now has a range of electric cars. There’s nothing new or unique about Tesla anymore.

Their market share will shrink and shrink and be swallowed up by the traditional brands. Tesla won’t be able to survive as a small niche brand. They’ve already said their new plants are burning billions of dollars because they can’t build enough cars. 

The other advantage everyone else will have is having some ICE cars in the stable to create another revenue stream. 

All fair points, but Tesla's charging network and ease of use of said network trumps all other brands. Having owned a Nissan electric for nearly 3 years now I can tell you that Tesla is far from the only company that has bad quality in certain aspects of their cars. Nissan's app for example is among the worst on ux that I've ever used, it crashes, doesn't work, doesn't allow any development and is a general pain in the behind. There's no active cooling in my nissan, meaning that it's mostly useless after two super charges, so I can't drive it very far. 

Technologically Tesla is still far superior to any other EV I've driven, and I absolutely hate Elon Musk. Every other EV is still limping behind when it comes to anything user experience.

Try to do a road trip through Europe on stand alone charging networks, and then do the same trip with a Tesla and I think you'll realise why people love Teslas.

Edited by magnkarl

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

All fair points, but Tesla's charging network and ease of use of said network trumps all other brands. Having owned a Nissan electric for nearly 3 years now I can tell you that Tesla is far from the only company that has bad quality in certain aspects of their cars. Nissan's app for example is among the worst on ux that I've ever used, it crashes, doesn't work, doesn't allow any development and is a general pain in the behind.

Technologically Tesla is still far superior to any other EV I've driven, and I absolutely hate Elon Musk. 

Try to do a road trip through Europe on stand alone charging networks, and then do the same trip with a Tesla and I think you'll realise why people love Teslas.

You are probably 100% correct, but how many people do a road trip across Europe, and in a EV? The lady next door to me charges her Vauxhall at home each night. Same as my mate who just got a Polestar. That’s probably the case for vast majority of EV owners I assume. The charging network may be the best around, but not worthy of the price tag and for most won’t be the main reason to buy over the odds for a Tesla.

Sorry for going off topic 😬

Back on topic, I think Musk is going to be at the helm when both Twitter and Tesla collapse over the next couple of years.

Â