What is that 1 song you hate by that 1 artist you love?

villa4europe

Thought I'd flip it on its head

I hate that song, the song that made them properly mainstream but its a bad pub band / karaoke song that took them a couple of albums to recover from, it's a horrible song

Also special shout out to roll with it and Country House, 2 of the worst singles those bands released

• Thanks 1

The Refused Party Program, by a country mile.

It already suffers from having to follow directly after New Noise on the LP, and exists somewhere between half-arsed filler and self-indulgent cringe.  Instant skip for me, every time.

Honorable mention to all but maybe a handful of tracks off the new Mars Volta record *sigh*.  I mean, by all means, write a smooth latin R&B album, have at it, go nuts.  But don't false flag it under the guise of a Mars Volta album and act like the intention was to "challenge" your old fans all along.  Maybe release it under any one of Omar's more suitable bajillion-other projects/monikers.  I don't know.

• Like 2

The Divine Comedy - National Express 

love Neil Hannon and everything he’s produced but I’ve heard National Express way way too much and it’s popular with folk who then don’t bother looking at his other (much better) stuff and think he’s a one hit wonder… 

• Like 2

hate it.. hate it... hate it... OMG, I HATE IT! I REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE IT! if I was physically able to stamp my feet, I would - thats how much I hate it! 

Edited by bielesibub
hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it! hate it, hate it
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 22/10/2022 at 09:53, theboyangel said:

The Divine Comedy - National Express 

love Neil Hannon and everything he’s produced but I’ve heard National Express way way too much and it’s popular with folk who then don’t bother looking at his other (much better) stuff and think he’s a one hit wonder… 

I think it's the only song I know by them/him. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

“Songs of love” you know, too. You just don’t know you know.

Just been over to YT to test this hypothesis. Nope, never heard it before. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just been over to YT to test this hypothesis. Nope, never heard it before. 

It’s the theme tune to Father Ted.

But as you aren’t massively bothered about sitcoms it possibly might not have been apparent.

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s the theme tune to Father Ted.

But as you aren’t massively bothered about sitcoms it possibly might not have been apparent.

Eh? No it isn't. (Incidentally, Ted is one of the exceptions to the rule, I love it). 

Sure, the instrumental bit is the same tune (I assume Hannon adapted it for the show), but the DC song is something else entirely. And I'd never heard it until now. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think it's the only song I know by them/him. 

Neil Hannon is a very clever lyricist and has a tremendous voice and can sing just as well live than in the studio.

The Divine Comedy can border on the whimsical at times but if you like Scott Walker-esque singing check out Casanova, A Short Album About Love and Absent Friends. 

As for the Father Ted theme it is an instrumental version of Songs of Love - Hannon also wrote and performed the Father Ted Eurovision entry My Lovely Horse. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Eh? No it isn't. (Incidentally, Ted is one of the exceptions to the rule, I love it). 

Sure, the instrumental bit is the same tune (I assume Hannon adapted it for the show), but the DC song is something else entirely. And I'd never heard it until now. 

I kinda assumed that when Blandy said you’d know it, he meant you’d recognise the tune rather the song being exactly the same as the theme.

• Like 2

Â