New neighbours

snowychap

When new neigbours move in, do you welcome them?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When new neigbours move in, do you welcome them?

• Yes, I'd go and introduce myself.
    • No, it's twee and intrusive.
    • I think they ought to come round and introduce themselves.

Have just seen this on the Live text on the BBC cricket website:

By the way, we had new neighbours move in the other day - do people still knock and say hello, or is that considered a little bit twee and intrusive in 'Broken Britain'?

So I thought I'd ask VTers, if new neighbours move in, do you knock and say hello or not?

I'm quite private and not all that forward, so i wouldn't go out of my way, but would say hello etc if i bumped into them.

But, i think it would be a nice gesture to do it.

so, i don't, but i think maybe i should.

I was that new neighbour relatively recently and I appreciated the neighbours knocking in to welcome us. A very nice touch I thought. That's what neighbours are for isn't it ? Otherwise we're just strangers on the same street. So I'll vote for 'a' though there are other considerations.

either A or C.

When i moved into my new street, i popped round & introduced myself to both my immediate neighbours.

I also wave to any of the people who live on my street if i see them (there's only 12 houses on the whole road, in a small cul-de-sac).

I send xmas cards to most of my street each year, and most of them send one back.

We moved into our street last November, said hello to our immediate neighbours and the others we sent Christmas cards to (saying who we were and what house number...)

Most responded and we now have a pretty decent friendliness with most of our neighbours

When new neighbours moved in, I went round and said hello.

That's probably it, I mean I wouldn't go out of my way if someone moved in about 3 or 4 doors away, but direct neighbours it's important to greet them - purely so youo can see what they are like

I send xmas cards to most of my street each year, and most of them send one back.

Tell me, do you get the 'Stepford' bit pre-printed on the envelope and just write the numbers in yourself? :P

i moved into my first place 2 years ago and the one neighbour popped by and so did a guy down the road. I really really liked it. its something i will definatly do when people move in next door to me in the future

there was 3 of us, all 19 and students, moving into a very family area and if was realy nice to feel that they werent put of us

A couple of the comments on the topic from the Beeb website (same link as opening post):

"New Neighbours: Please knock on their door and ask them a) how they managed to sell their previous house B) how they managed to get a mortgage c) how much they had to drop and d) how cheeky was their accepted offer in relation to the asking price."

Linda, Devon, in the TMS inbox

"I don't know what's considered twee in Broken Britain, but it is very English of you to be worried about the consequences of knocking on your new neighbours' door. Go on, take a risk, to heck with the fallout."

Chris, Cape Town, in the TMS inbox

I wouldn't, but I'd drop a card or something through their letterbox saying who I was and give them my number or whatever if they want to get in touch. Would leave the ball in their court.

If people are moving in next door (which they have recently) then its up to them if they want to come and say hello but if i moved somewhere it would also be up to the neighbours if they wanted to come and say hello.

Basically i am lazy!

When the new neighbours did move in though i wasn't expecting them to come around and say hello but seeing as they were doing decorating which involved drilling and loud noises coming through the walls i would have at least liked a heads up on that, especially when they decided it would be appropriate to do this at 9am on a Sunday! rocket polishers.

Having said that they haven't been too bad, especially seeing as they are a load of students living in the house one of their mummy or daddies bought for them but being a student myself i expected a lot worse with regards to noise levels etc so cant complain too much.

Â