Atmospherics

maqroll

• 2 weeks later...

More fun from Oslo. At Vålerenga, we have a long standing tradition of doing the ‘anal train’ to celebrate big wins. This from yesterday’s 4-0 home win against Villa’s old friends Strømsgodset:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, El Zen said:

FC København: 

Is it just me or is England lagging severely behind in terms of atmosphere and fan culture at the moment? 

British reserve, old chap. Excessive displays of emotion are frightfully unseemly, and, frankly, jolly bad form, what? 

On 02/10/2022 at 22:43, El Zen said:

FC København: 

Is it just me or is England lagging severely behind in terms of atmosphere and fan culture at the moment? 

Criminal offence or lifetime ban for pyrotechnics and smoke bombs might have something to do with it!

Nanny state or common sense 🤔 

53 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Criminal offence or lifetime ban for pyrotechnics and smoke bombs might have something to do with it!

Yeah, I’m not saying it’s the fans’ fault necessarily. Safe standing and removing pyro bans should help. 

Pyro is brilliant. And perfectly safe if done right. 

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

common sense. it's grim and dangerous. i'm so glad we don't do it really...those idiotic smoke bombs are bad enough

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

common sense. it's grim and dangerous. i'm so glad we don't do it really...those idiotic smoke bombs are bad enough

Have you ever experienced a good pyro display from the inside? It’s f***ing awesome and doesn’t feel unsafe at all. 

4 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Have you ever experienced a good pyro display from the inside? It’s f***ing awesome and doesn’t feel unsafe at all. 

nope...but there's no way we'd ever be able to replicate that over here because those operating the pyro will be the same beaked up little dickheads that jump around the concourses throwing their beer everywhere. it would 100% be unsafe here and someone would get hurt

i'm not denying it looks cool in the european stadiums where they actually have the ultras culture and i agree it's probably done much more responsibly. but doesn't make it safe though. weren't marseille fans launching fireworks at the away fans the other week?

34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

nope...but there's no way we'd ever be able to replicate that over here because those operating the pyro will be the same beaked up little dickheads that jump around the concourses throwing their beer everywhere. it would 100% be unsafe here and someone would get hurt

i'm not denying it looks cool in the european stadiums where they actually have the ultras culture and i agree it's probably done much more responsibly. but doesn't make it safe though. weren't marseille fans launching fireworks at the away fans the other week?

Well, actual fireworks are probably illegal most places anyway, which I agree with.  

I think you’d be capable of developing a decent ultras culture if allowed to. 

The only ones I’ve ever seen injuring themselves on a standard smoke flare was entirely self-inflicted. And even that is very rare. 

Edited by El Zen

Are we the only large footballing nation without any kind of ultras culture?  

When an atmosphere in England is good it's great because it's usually completely organic but usually the English football experience consists of just listening to whinging old men for 90 minutes.

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

When an atmosphere in England is good it's great because it's usually completely organic but usually the English football experience consists of just listening to whinging old men for 90 minutes.

I think Spain would not be such a big ultra culture either. They dont really travel for away games either

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think Spain would not be such a big ultra culture either. They dont really travel for away games either

yeah when i went to barca for a game betis must have taken circa 300 fans, i know it's a fair distance but it was still surprisingly small, not sure if the big 2/3 clubs pull in locals as away fans, have also seen a real madrid fan club bar in a seaside town 30km east of malaga 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Different culture. Plus, anything ultra will right away be associated with skinheads, violence etc. UK is also crazy on health and safety side of things. This doesn't always mean it's safer, but almost always it means it's more boring. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yeah when i went to barca for a game betis must have taken circa 300 fans, i know it's a fair distance but it was still surprisingly small, not sure if the big 2/3 clubs pull in locals as away fans, have also seen a real madrid fan club bar in a seaside town 30km east of malaga 

I think the main reason for low away attendances is because every game is televised and staggered over Friday to Monday but the exact days are never fixed until about 2 weeks before.

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the main reason for low away attendances is because every game is televised and staggered over Friday to Monday but the exact days are never fixed until about 2 weeks before.

Sometimes its the same week and none of the big teams ever get Friday or Monday games unless its needed

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sometimes its the same week and none of the big teams ever get Friday or Monday games unless its needed

A few years ago I was in Madrid on a Friday to Monday morning and had my eye on an Athletico game.

I bet you can guess when it ended up being played.

Â