Keeper for VillaTalk XI  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Keeper for VillaTalk XI

• Bosnich
    • James
    • Schmeichel
    • Enckelman
    • Sorensen

in a somewhat quiet time for Villa related things, bar a couple of friendlies and the ongoing Baros saga. Let's have a look back over the last few years and pick a team that you the message board members vote for.

So with any good team we start at the back - the very back. Goalkeeper.

I'm not going to do the stats or write ups on the individual players you can do those yourselves

2 days each Poll

Bossie was a complete clearing in the woods, especially because of the way he left the club but he got what he deserved in the end.

Anyhow he was the first villa keeper i ever saw and first few memories of villa are him saving the tranmere penalties. he was a brilliant shot stopper but his kicking was terrible, i've never seen a keeper with worse kicking at villa.

Saying that i voted for Sorenson, Despite a few Major Cock Ups i think he's been superb. Not that Tony will agree.

Is two days abit long for the voting, well with the way everyone has been reacting, in two days this could be a 30 page fight over Bossie or Sorenson.

I guess this is only going to be the Premeri League years. Otherwise Nigel Spink will be on the phone from his office at St Andrews wanting to know what's going on! Although he did feature in the first season of the Premier League, didnt he? Him and the late great Les Sealey!

Will there be a Baros option when we get to the strikers? ;)

Voted Peter but loved Bosnich as well :)

Always remember a save he made dunno against who when the ball was going for the far top corner and i pulled of a superman save to pull it out amazing :)

Bosnich no doubt, for me. Only thinking of his acting on the pitch, not aside of it. And for Sealey he never played in the PL, did he? Just a couple of games if at all. He played a lot in the season before it turned to the PL though.

There's only one choice out of those isn't there really, Bosnich, regardless of the way he left and any other little quibbles people may have about his behaviour, he was simply the best goalkeeper out of those five options

Bossie for me, his penalty stops really stood out. Pretty much the only keeper I can remember being pretty sure would stop any given penalty. Ian Wrights being a classic example.

Having said that, the other abiding memory I have of him is seeing Shearer leg him up, making Bossie spill the ball in to the path of David Batty (I think) for Batty to score. All with the refs back turned, I couldn't believe it when he turned round, saw the ball in the net and just gave the goal.

Never forgave Shearer that one either.

It's a shame Spink isn't on the list though, I would like to vote for him

Â