A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Not bad. That would do nicely. Not entirely sold on a cauliflower hash brown. Seems unnecessarily niche for what is supposed to be a common or garden breakfast. The only unanswered question I guess is whether there is a place for beans. Oh and I thought soda bread was more of a full Irish thingie.

The only reason I opted for cauliflower hashbrowns is that I tried one a few days ago and it was delicious, just a bit different. Beans A possible yes but I go heavy on the cherry tomatoes which provides the wet. Soda bread is an Irish thing but once you have had it once it becomes somewhat of a necessity 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

those rules in mind...

start with the bread, 2 pieces of toast actually toasted and well buttered, 1 piece of fried bread, for me personally 1 fried egg cooked in a clean pan in clean oil sunny side up (i hate cafe fried eggs with the burned bottom), 2 sausages, 3 rashers of back bacon (smoked or unsmoked doesnt bother me) black pudding cut in to slices that enable you to crisp the outside but leave the inside kind of medium rare, chopped mushrooms, 2 hash browns but near overcooked they have to be crispy verging on crunchy or get them out of there (spoons nail the hash browns to be fair to them) beans cooked until the juice has gone and then served on the plate slightly covering 1 piece of the toast and the fried bread and you have to get the bread to bean ratio right

no tomato and definitely nothing green

brown or tomato sauce doesnt bother me, ill use either

Good point about cooking the beans down. I’d guess many people requiring segregation have also been suffering from inviscid juices.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Good point about cooking the beans down. I’d guess many people requiring segregation have also been suffering from inviscid juices.

hear hear. cook them to the point where the saucepan is a bastard to wash up cause a few beans have stuck to the bottom

i feel that the bean brand discussion should be had too. for me, branston is the GOAT of baked beans

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

hear hear. cook them to the point where the saucepan is a bastard to wash up cause a few beans have stuck to the bottom

i feel that the bean brand discussion should be had too. for me, branston is the GOAT of baked beans

Correct.

Heinz is all sauce. Branston brings the good stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I’m good with Basics/Value/Smart Price if they’re reduced down. Better than Heinz anyway.

• Like 1

The yummy mummy caf nearby make their own baked beans. The beans are white, but larger than the tinned haricot variety. They're knockout.

One of the more hip breakfast places does a French blood sausage instead of black pud. They're just glory.

I dream of swapping them into the strong all round breakfast at the pub around the back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

And haggis instead of black pud if there's any at hand. 

takes too long for me, i love haggis but im far from a connoisseur i just get the normal one in morrisons, 1 hour in the oven or microwave it and i dont own a microwave so that aint happening 

same with the hash browns, the problem is i want them cooked for 40 minutes and everything else is done in half that time so more often than not i'll leave them off

I'm not a massive traditionalist, but as covered multiple times, I don't want runny bean juice over everything. The beans can be on the plate, as long as they have been drained. 

Still, my ideal brekkie would be;

2x sausages, 2x crispy bacon, 2x fried egg, 2x hash brown, grilled tomato, mushroom and 2x buttered white toast. Beans in a ramekin (thanks @mottaloo). Beans will be added to the plate once the hash browns, eggs and toast have been eaten. The toast will be dunked in the yolk if it is sufficiently runny enough. Fried bread is ok as an alternative. 

I can take or leave the mushroom, and tinned tomatoes suffer the same fate as the beans - too runny in most instances. 

• Like 3

2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 hash browns beans, toast or fried bread, plum tomato if in the mood, likewise either scrambled egg or a poached egg, but most of the time I do without egg. Mushrooms and black pudding can **** right off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Only one rule for a proper full English. The fish must be cooked perfectly.

This is correct. Kippers, poached egg, grilled tomato, fresh, buttered bread. Pot of tea. Beats anyone’s sausage hands down, Kenny.

• Like 1

One of the best parts of going away in the UK for me is the breakfast in the pub/hotel. Usually its needed to soak up the numerous pints of real ale the night before! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, beans, hash browns, toast.

Black pudding and tomato fine but not essential.

Mushrooms can get to ****

Scrambled eggs but no mushrooms. 

For shame. For shame. 

• Like 3

Â