A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

thought id start a thread seeing as its across several at the moment and has been discussed numerous times before

3 golden rules for me - 

1) you've got to use good quality ingredients and cooked properly, everything can go in or out depending on the quality, i love black pudding for example but you can go to a cafe and get a wedge from bargain basements cooked in a way that makes it dry and horrible

2) same as an english sunday dinner, its all about contrasting textures between the numerous, you need some soft bits in there you need crispy bits in there, some wet some dry, refer to point 1 its also about how certain ingredients are cooked to achieve different textures but then also how its plated up to achieve that

3) no chips

1 + 2 is usually why i find places abroad struggle to replicate a good english breakfast

• Like 1

I’m not picky with anything, even a bog standard cheap as chips FE is a glorious thing.

Toast, 2 x bacon, 2 x sausage, 2 x fried eggs, Slice of black pudding, mushrooms, 1 x hash brown, beans. 

I’ll allow fried bread instead of toast and tinned toms instead of beans. 

No half a grilled tomato though. 

I prefer it all on the plate together, no segregating of stuff. 

those rules in mind...

start with the bread, 2 pieces of toast actually toasted and well buttered, 1 piece of fried bread, for me personally 1 fried egg cooked in a clean pan in clean oil sunny side up (i hate cafe fried eggs with the burned bottom), 2 sausages, 3 rashers of back bacon (smoked or unsmoked doesnt bother me) black pudding cut in to slices that enable you to crisp the outside but leave the inside kind of medium rare, chopped mushrooms, 2 hash browns but near overcooked they have to be crispy verging on crunchy or get them out of there (spoons nail the hash browns to be fair to them) beans cooked until the juice has gone and then served on the plate slightly covering 1 piece of the toast and the fried bread and you have to get the bread to bean ratio right

no tomato and definitely nothing green

brown or tomato sauce doesnt bother me, ill use either

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just been for breakfast and got a full English. 

Unfortunately the only place open today was the independent pizza place so I had to get the full English pizza. 

It was nice but not sure I'll want to repeat it anytime soon. 

• Haha 2

Smoked bacon, good quality pork sausages, fried or poached eggs with runny yolks, beans, white pudding, mushrooms and toast or piece of fried bread.

Steaming mug of tea.

• Like 1

Keep it simple is the way forward.

2 sausages (premium quality), 2 bacon, 2 eggs (poached or fried), mushrooms, black/hogs pudding and toast/fried bread. 

For me, I’d take quality over quantity when it comes to a full English. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

The only things I insist on a full English :

No rubbery fat on the bacon. If there's fat it must be crispy. 

Well cooked sausage. 

And the most Important... NO SNOTTY EGG. 

Egg must be turned and cooked for thirty seconds. If I see snot, the whole lot probably is getting left. 

I also don't like grease so I cook eggs using fry light, sausage and bacon in the dry fryer. 

And haggis instead of black pud if there's any at hand. 

• Like 3

2 quality pork sausages, 2 rashers of crispy streaky bacon , fried or poached eggs , whole mushroom , black pudding, toast and or fried bread with beans on the plate mixing in , HP brown sauce , but no waffles ,chips ,hash browns etc 

21 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The only things I insist on a full English :

No rubbery fat on the bacon. If there's fat it must be crispy. 

Well cooked sausage. 

And the most Important... NO SNOTTY EGG. 

Egg must be turned and cooked for thirty seconds. If I see snot, the whole lot probably is getting left. 

I also don't like grease so I cook eggs using fry light, sausage and bacon in the dry fryer. 

And haggis instead of black pud if there's any at hand. 

a good non-stick pan, fry light, cover with foil to get the tops cooked so you dont need to flip. best fried eggs you'll ever have because as you say, there's no grease

glad i'm not alone with sacking off the tomato and the fungus as many others have said

edit: and no sauce either. and that goes for a bacon sarnie too.

Edited by tomav84

Baked Potters sausage x 3 thick cut smoked bacon grilled, tinned cherry toms with lashings  of black pepper, 2 x poached runny fresh farm eggs, soda bread and sliced mushrooms fried in butter and a cauliflower hash brown. Heavily buttered toast, pot of Yorkshire 🫖 splash of milk 

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Baked Potters sausage x 3 thick cut smoked bacon grilled, tinned cherry toms with lashings  of black pepper, 2 x poached runny fresh farm eggs, soda bread and sliced mushrooms fried in butter and a cauliflower hash brown. Heavily buttered toast, pot of Yorkshire 🫖 splash of milk 

Not bad. That would do nicely. Not entirely sold on a cauliflower hash brown. Seems unnecessarily niche for what is supposed to be a common or garden breakfast. The only unanswered question I guess is whether there is a place for beans. Oh and I thought soda bread was more of a full Irish thingie.

Â