January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Exactly.  Better signing nobody until Emery gets who he wants.

I imagine League finishes will determine the getability of players like Nico Williams, Merino and others in the Spanish league. I am still confident that we are smashing our transfer record in the summer. We aren’t buying average crap. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

-----------------------Muani-----------------------------------
-----------------------------Kamada-------------------------
Ramsey-----Guendouzi--Kamara-----Williams

WOW......Can I have some of that, is it expensive?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's worth remembering that Unai is part of the team that have been trying to bring our targets in.

If he's frustrated, part of his frustration will be with himself.

I'm happy enough with that, they'll all be frustrated I'm guessing - hopefully that frustration will fuel the response.

What we don't know is ,who plays what part in that team and to what degree.

I reiterate.

If Unai is happy, with the efforts......Then I am comfortable, with that.

car through window 2.jpg

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Unai is happy, with the efforts......Then I am comfortable, with that.

I agree.

I think it's also possible to say that if Unai is frustrated that we couldn't get players in, I'm happy with that too - it means that the transfer team are frustrated and will be keen to push on for the summer.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree.

I think it's also possible to say that if Unai is frustrated that we couldn't get players in, I'm happy with that too - it means that the transfer team are frustrated and will be keen to push on for the summer.

Definitely also puts a premium on the necessity of us delivering those pricey names though, right? Unai can't be allowed feel disappointed again ☹️

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I think it’s sensible to not sign a player we could get for £10m-15m cheaper in the summer. Imagine if Guendouzi ends up costing £35m in the summer compared to £50m in Jan. 

but there are too many permutations of "What If"....it could be the other way around.

"strike while the irons hot", is another proverb.

I am ok with it all now, its over...it is what it is...and we never lost any of our valuable players.

11 hours ago, RicRic said:

Nothing gave me optimism for the here and now , only moreno improves on Digne at least we seem to think that will be the case anyway, so that’s literally our only improvement, duran is not a upgrade or improvement at least not for now, i would love to be wrong but cant see that being the case, can only see duran nicking maybe 3 goals max depending on matches involved still half a season yet. 

traore can do some incredible things on the pitch at times ive never seen a player perform some magic at villa park ever but at the same time look like ronald mcdonald  in the same match, but for me when you go turkey thats it on your career especially the PL and la liga theres no coming back.

Ric....We have no idea, how Duran, will stack up...its no good us beating ourselves up trying to speculate on him.

we just have to wait and see.....it could be a huge pleasant surprise, or a flop.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but there are too many permutations of "What If"....it could be the other way around.

I am ok with it all now, its over...it is what it is...and we never lost any of our valuable players.

Yes, I think that’s fair. We are in a luxury of position to consider these. I do think striking whilst the iron is hot will work, perhaps Unai felt there’s enough in the squad right now until the summer. Whilst I do see the disappointment and share some of it. I think sometimes in a window the same could be said of sales - this might have been the only window to get the likes of Ings off of the books 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Yes, I think that’s fair. We are in a luxury of position to consider these. I do think striking whilst the iron is hot will work, perhaps Unai felt there’s enough in the squad right now until the summer. Whilst I do see the disappointment and share some of it. I think sometimes in a window the same could be said of sales - this might have been the only window to get the likes of Ings off of the books 

Yeah.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I doubt the club didn’t ‘try to strike while the Iron is hot’ but the players we wanted just weren't available for whatever reason. No club wants to lose their best players in January and will only do so for extortionate sums.

I think as a fan base we can be overly negative at times and need to focus on the positives like the part in bold along with the good form we have.

Let’s try and enjoy the rest of the season :)

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ric....We have no idea, how Duran, will stack up...its no good us beating ourselves up trying to speculate on him.

we just have to wait and see.....it could be a huge pleasant surprise, of a flop.

No certainly not writing him off well for this season i am, he most definitely has potential it just wont be now and we need improvement now to remain comfortable at least, definitely should have kept archer in hindsight

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's worth remembering that Unai is part of the team that have been trying to bring our targets in.

If he's frustrated, part of his frustration will be with himself.

I'm happy enough with that, they'll all be frustrated I'm guessing - hopefully that frustration will fuel the response.

Has anybody come out and expressed they are frustrated?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If 2/3 of those players don’t work out, they’ll be in big trouble.

If I’m a footballer and you’ve given me 100k a week on an 8yr deal, I’m set for life. Why even bother to perform? You’re a multi millionaire and all you have to do is turn up for training. 

Exactly. They might be protecting the transfer fee value but like you say, if it doesn't work out after a year and they have an attitude problem (where's the motivation to perform every week) you've got a 200 grand a week problem on your hands for 7 years. 

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think it’s sensible to not sign a player we could get for £10m-15m cheaper in the summer. Imagine if Guendouzi ends up costing £35m in the summer compared to £50m in Jan. 

was he only allowed to leave for that figure? .., I thought it was £35m in this window tbf 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Plus the signing of Duran and youth players like Young

I know Ashley is rolling back the years but no matter what he tells the ladies in The Belfry, he’s not going to get away with that youth team line anymore.