January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Emery may have some frustration with the transfer market, astronomical fees and perhaps Marseille.

Trimming the squad gives everyone the opportunity to impress or otherwise they will go in the Summer.

Personally it would be crazy to sign a bunch of players half-way through the season when Villa are already doing well.

The sense of frustration quote is presumable one person's perspective, this is coming from Preece right? It certainly doesn't make it true; negativity we could do without!

I don't think it is negative....It think its a natural reaction to a series of events, few of us was expecting....The pre January mood was, we was heading for a bullish window, and it didn't happen, for whatever reasons.

I think it is negative to keep barking on about it, because its done.....I think the crucial point is, If Unai is happy everything possible was done, then I am happy too.

But for anybody to make out, this was expected, is misleading.

I am also, 100% in support, of not signing players, to appease fans, that too is negative and not conducive to team building.

The culling was necessary, no issues with that.....We just have to wait and see, what Unai can do in the future, in terms of team building.....His coaching element is unquestioned and his Start, most impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Osorio didn’t move to any team so he either didn’t want to move or the all the clubs linked with him were not that interested. Bring Traore back was probably the safer option,  hopefully we can  buy a forward that actually improves us in the summer.

Until we see Jhon Duran perform, we are just pissing in the wind......remember a 19 year old Andy Gray, from a duff league.

I am not saying that will repeat itself, but until we know what we have for sure......its hard to react accurately.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Until we see Jhon Duran perform, we are just pissing in the wind......remember a 19 year old Andy Gray, from a duff league.

I am not saying that will repeat itself, but until we know what we have for sure......its hard to react accurately.

By forward I mean a winger that can play wide central or wherever,  Pino or Williams type.

Emery wouldn't be human if he wasn't a little disappointed in not getting what he publicly stated he wanted. But he's not a kid, and hes not a Klopp/Pep/Jose type so he won't publicly moan about anything.

Sensing his frustration...maybe you can, but he's a pro and he'll work around it. The summer will be the big decider, and I'm optimistic we'll get what we need then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Emery wouldn't be human if he wasn't a little disappointed in not getting what he publicly stated he wanted. But he's not a kid, and hes not a Klopp/Pep/Jose type so he won't publicly moan about anything.

Sensing his frustration...maybe you can, but he's a pro and he'll work around it. The summer will be the big decider, and I'm optimistic we'll get what we need then.

There are 2 issues here.

1. He is bound to be disappointed he couldn't get his targets.....so are we all.

2. The crucial one is, if he is happy, everything was done to make it happen.....then so am I, happy with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Osorio didn’t move to any team so he either didn’t want to move or the all the clubs linked with him were not that interested. Bring Traore back was probably the safer option,  hopefully we can  buy a forward that actually improves us in the summer.

Very good point. None of the players we were linked with in the media moved to other clubs (Luiz Henrique, Guendouzi, Dembele, Osorio etc.)  So, they either didn't want to join us in January, or the clubs didn't want to sell in January.

If the alternative to not getting our main targets is to sign bang average panic buys or nobody, i'm glad we went with the latter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Very good point. None of the players we were linked with in the media moved to other clubs (Luiz Henrique, Guendouzi, Dembele, Osorio etc.)  So, they either didn't want to join us in January, or the clubs didn't want to sell in January.

If the alternative to not getting our main targets is to sign bang average panic buys or nobody, i'm glad we went with the latter.

Good points.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think my disappointment stems from, taking a whole month to establish, our main targets were not being released, by their parent clubs.

If the narrative of the "keeping our powder dry", was declared earlier, it would have made more rational thinking.

I get the bit about, not signing just anybody.......Fine....but why has it taken a month to realise that....The BS journalists have just had a field day, with this window.

I trust UE...If he is happy with the way this window has treated us....then so am I....Live to fight again.

Yeah i mean i do agree to pretty much all of this but my assessment is we remain pretty light in certain areas. Also UE said himself he wanted further players 2-3 and we didn’t even land one.

Goodness me yes dont even get me started on the abysmal  journalism and links to every player under the sun it was absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are 2 issues here.

1. He is bound to be disappointed he couldn't get his targets.....so are we all.

2. The crucial one is, if he is happy, everything was done to make it happen.....then so am I, happy with that.

I am sure we did all we could in some cases the club did not want to sell this window see Marseille and in others the player did not want to uproot mid season see Nico Williams.

Unai will get what he wants in the summer and in the meantime work with what he has giving the kids a chance to impress.

He is a grown up he gets it and will get on with things.

Nothing gave me optimism for the here and now , only moreno improves on Digne at least we seem to think that will be the case anyway, so that’s literally our only improvement, duran is not a upgrade or improvement at least not for now, i would love to be wrong but cant see that being the case, can only see duran nicking maybe 3 goals max depending on matches involved still half a season yet. 

traore can do some incredible things on the pitch at times ive never seen a player perform some magic at villa park ever but at the same time look like ronald mcdonald  in the same match, but for me when you go turkey thats it on your career especially the PL and la liga theres no coming back.

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

-----------------------Muani-----------------------------------
-----------------------------Kamada-------------------------
Ramsey-----Guendouzi--Kamara-----Williams

Love this 

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Most of the targets there were near impossible, Luiz Henrique’s wife or girlfriend is due to give birth soon, Dembele’s agent apparently priced him out of moves,  Guendouzi probably to expensive . There’s also Chelsea inflating the market. So many factors involved that we don’t know about. Imagine the uproar if we signed a gettable target in Jack Harrison or Alex Iwobi  for £25m. 

8 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah i mean i do agree to pretty much all of this but my assessment is we remain pretty light in certain areas. Also UE said himself he wanted further players 2-3 and we didn’t even land one.

Goodness me yes dont even get me started on the abysmal  journalism and links to every player under the sun it was absolutely ridiculous. 

I think the thing for me is the distinction between failing to get the targets, but doing everything we could to get them.

of course UE, will be disappointed,in not getting any players in,  but maybe heartened/tempered by, everything possible was tried.

7 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I am sure we did all we could in some cases the club did not want to sell this window see Marseille and in others the player did not want to uproot mid season see Nico Williams.

Unai will get what he wants in the summer and in the meantime work with what he has giving the kids a chance to impress.

He is a grown up he gets it and will get on with things.

I think there are a couple of positives as you say......giving the young ones chances.

also, we never lost any of our main players, we didn't want to lose.

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Most of the targets there were near impossible, Luiz Henrique’s wife or girlfriend is due to give birth soon, Dembele’s agent apparently priced him out of moves,  Guendouzi probably to expensive . There’s also Chelsea inflating the market. So many factors involved that we don’t know about. Imagine the uproar if we signed a gettable target in Jack Harrison or Alex Iwobi  for £25m. 

Exactly.  Better signing nobody until Emery gets who he wants.

• Like 1