Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

On 26/09/2022 at 07:31, Robtaylor200 said:

Agree he has not been at normal service. I used to love his attacks up the wing. But IMO this is due to tactics employed by SG and his runs have been stifled to keep a more defensive role 

I don't think he will be too tactically stifled if Ashley is playing instead of digne. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bielesibub said:

My potentially controversial prediction, a Gerrard tactical masterclass will give Villa an easy win. #beoptimistic

Interesting looking at the team we put out there in March.

Won comfortably with a midfield trio of Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn so this is probably a fixture where Kamara out shouldn't be too costly. Chambers-Mings was the CB combo aswell, Calum scored a worldie for the third IIRC.

Leeds will be much changed from what they put out that night though.

I gotta case of the (Claret and) Blues. Trying to get a more upbeat outlook, but it's been a sucky opening of the season, and the big injuries feel like we've pissed off Football Zeus or something. I want time to speed ahead a bit, on the wings of Hermes, but he's probably bloody hamstrung, too. This match has been on the PRE-MATCH THREAD horizon since when—2004 or something? What a dreary, Villaless wait it's been.  The reward for all this waiting should really be something better than a chance to beat Leeds. And if we lose, oh -- I don't even want to go there, mentally or emotionally, sorry. Can't.

So ... I hope we play a crazy-athletic match that uses some of our strengths in youth while allowing our potentially most clinical, experienced players such as Coutinho to have space to feed the young lions like Bailey.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Defo won't happen - but with fitness concerns (?) to Cash and Digne, I'd go..

Martinez

Young         Konsa         Chambers          Mings        (or more likely - Konsa, Chambers, Mings, Young) 

Dendoncker  (See if he can touch the ball this time 😛)

Luiz              McGinn (Scotland form please) 

Buendia             Watkins              Ramsey 

I think Coutinho will probably start, and to be fair he's done ok against this lot in previous games. I just don't want us to revert to being a soft touch again - though obviously we want to see better football... 

Perhaps Bednarek might come in? Played well midweek..

We have options even with our injuries...Keep a clean sheet, I think we win.        

10 hours ago, Nigel said:

Chambers has to start now we are missing the forward running of digne, to allow us more options out of the back.

He could make the difference the other end in a tight game too.

Can't see it. Konsa-Mings is actually doing o.k now,  just 1 goal from last 2 so you want to build on that consistency especially with FB injuries. Plus Konsa rarely gets dropped after poor games anyway in last 6 months.

Very little chance of Chambers being pushed into midfield either with Dendoncker signing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't see it. Konsa-Mings is actually doing o.k now,  just 1 goal from last 2 so you want to build on that consistency especially with FB injuries. Plus Konsa rarely gets dropped after poor games anyway in last 6 months.

Very little chance of Chambers being pushed into midfield either with Dendoncker signing.

I'm thinking konsa at RB 

I think they’ve recruited really well, that Sinisterra looks a handful, scored a few already and got a brace for Colombia against Mexico the other day too. Impressed with that Marc Roca too.

If we can beat the press we’ll get plenty of chances just like Brentford did but we could get overwhelmed and really struggle also like Chelsea did.

Hope we pull something out here, we really need to stumble upon a settled XI that will work hard and give everything to the game; but ive got a bad feeling we’ll go under with Gerrard looking on from the dugout thinking his time might be up.

3-1 Leeds

• Like 1

-----------------------Martinez----------------

Young-----Chambers---Mings------Augustinsson

-----------------------Dendoncker----------------------------

-----------------Luiz-------------------Ramsey----------------

Buendia------------------------------------------------Bailey

----------------------------Watkins------------------------------

• Like 2

On 21/09/2022 at 11:59, ferguson1 said:

Leeds away is always a tough place to go but last season we showed them how good we can be away from home with that 0-3 victory.  

Currently the squad seem to be dropping like flies so by next weekend my suggested team could drastically change. Hopefully Cash will be back but the expected loss of Kamara and Digne is now another big blow.  Dendoncker and Augustinsson to come in you’d expect with Ash covering either full back position from the bench.

So Coutinho or Ramsey on the left is the only decision I think Gerrard needs to make for this one. Personally, I would go Ramsey for his running power and he’ll cover Augustinsson better I feel. Chambers and the lesser spotted Sanson or Nakamba to cover midfield from the bench as well.

I’m almost wishing the World Cup to come now so we can wrap our squad up in cotton wool for a month. We’re starting to look a little stretched. 

Martinez

Cash             Konsa        Mings           Augustinsson 

Luiz

McGinn         Dendoncker 

Bailey                                                 Ramsey

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Bednarek, Chambers, Sanson, Coutinho, Buendia, Ings, Archer.

I’d happily take a point from this game now but a 0-1 win would be amazing.  Just no more injuries please! UTV

Looks like Cash is still out, so Young to carry on at RB and Augustinsson for his first start?

Nakamba to take the other place on the bench possibly?

Martinez

Young            Konsa        Mings           Augustinsson 

Luiz

McGinn         Dendoncker 

Bailey                                                 Ramsey

Watkins

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndFos said:

Chamber right back and Young left?

Not going to be much attacking threat from that so all it will take is Leeds to strangle our midfield and we'll create very little as usual.

Surely will put Augustinsson in. He plays for Sweden regularly and played in top leagues for many seasons, played 20 odd times for Sevilla last year.

• Like 2