Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

Emi Martinez 

Ash Chambers Mings Digne 

Dendoncker Luiz

Bailey Buendia Coutinho 

Ollie

Dendoncker and Luiz primarily assigned to bolster defensively both when Ash and Digne do get forward but also during the times when we want to release the front four with more space than they would have if the full backs were to bomb forward. Dendoncker and Luiz both have a pass to release those ahead of them creating an opportunity for those front four to run into space and attack enemy lines at full throttle. 

The front four obviously have the ability to unlock any defence. Give them the space and freedom to do so for large parts. Double pivot and back four can conserve energy and keep shape by doing this.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Leeds away is always a tough place to go but last season we showed them how good we can be away from home with that 0-3 victory.  

Currently the squad seem to be dropping like flies so by next weekend my suggested team could drastically change. Hopefully Cash will be back but the expected loss of Kamara and Digne is now another big blow.  Dendoncker and Augustinsson to come in you’d expect with Ash covering either full back position from the bench.

So Coutinho or Ramsey on the left is the only decision I think Gerrard needs to make for this one. Personally, I would go Ramsey for his running power and he’ll cover Augustinsson better I feel. Chambers and the lesser spotted Sanson or Nakamba to cover midfield from the bench as well.

I’m almost wishing the World Cup to come now so we can wrap our squad up in cotton wool for a month. We’re starting to look a little stretched. 

Martinez

Cash             Konsa        Mings           Augustinsson 

Luiz

McGinn         Dendoncker 

Bailey                                                 Ramsey

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Bednarek, Chambers, Sanson, Coutinho, Buendia, Ings, Archer.

I’d happily take a point from this game now but a 0-1 win would be amazing.  Just no more injuries please! UTV

Edited by ferguson1

Difficult to quite piece this together:

--------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Young---------Konsa------Mings---Augustinsson

------------------------------Luiz----------------------------

-------------------McGinn------Ramsey--------------

Bailey-----------------------------------------Coutinho

----------------------------Watkins------------------------

subs; Marschall, Chambers, Guilbert, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Sanson, Buendia, Ings

Maybe?

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Difficult to quite piece this together:

--------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Young---------Konsa------Mings---Augustinsson

------------------------------Luiz----------------------------

-------------------McGinn------Ramsey--------------

Bailey-----------------------------------------Coutinho

----------------------------Watkins------------------------

subs; Marschall, Chambers, Guilbert, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Sanson, Buendia, Ings

Maybe?

I think you have it there except Dendoncker will start instead of Luiz.

And as always with a clown like Meslier in the opposite goal, Villa must give him many chances to make mistakes. Whenever he has the ball at his feet, run towards him. Stress him out and he will concede comedy goals.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Haha 1

Cash might be back so wouldn't shock me if we moved Young over to other side as you'd want to keep him in with the good defensive record in last two he's featured in.

Shame Augustinsson didn't play in the cup as he's lacking match intensity and Leeds is a tricky one to throw him into as they do have fast wide players like the Colombian guy they signed.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Cash might be back so wouldn't shock me if we moved Young over to other side as you'd want to keep him in with the good defensive record in last two he's featured in.

Shame Augustinsson didn't play in the cup as he's lacking match intensity and Leeds is a tricky one to throw him into as they do have fast wide players like the Colombian guy they signed.

I dont think Cash should walk straight back in. He has been poor for me this season and has had a hand in Konsa wobbling performances

Coinflip. I think it's going to be a messy game - Mings and Konsa will no doubt go look against the high press but Leeds defense far from impressive.

Depends who blinks first in the counter-attack but probably another game lacking in quality from both sides. Aaronson and Sinisterra the kind of players that give Mings and Konsa trouble. Tricky and pacey.  Bamford been a thorn too if he's healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Reckon this is gonna be heavy loss with all our injuries.

Without kamara god help us in the middle 

We beat them not so long ago with Nakamba as DM although assume we'll go with Luiz-Dendoncker and see how that looks as pivot infront of back 4.

Clearly issues at FB though, that will be a weakness v them.

On 18/09/2022 at 17:43, Marka Ragnos said:

Something like this vs Leeds, but set far back — ie parked bus. Look for narrow passing lanes that bypass their midfield. Not sure we have the athleticism to beat them in the running game, so we’re going to have to use our brains and take advantage of opportunities to counter? Very happy to hear how this formation would be shite or genius. 

5B8BA546-8BE5-4B84-A231-2AC03359363A.png

that's going back a bit.....brown leather ball to boot, well dubbed.

• Haha 1

On 22/09/2022 at 12:36, Zatman said:

I dont think Cash should walk straight back in. He has been poor for me this season and has had a hand in Konsa wobbling performances

Agree he has not been at normal service. I used to love his attacks up the wing. But IMO this is due to tactics employed by SG and his runs have been stifled to keep a more defensive role