Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

Was busy so only caught snippits on the radio - from the sounds of it, a deserved win from a poor game.

For context, we had to overcome some terrible stats that might explain the above

We have won just one of their last 10 Premier League games (D3 L6). Meanwhile, they’ve conceded in each of their last 11 Premier League matches, last having a longer run without a clean sheet in the competition between December 2012 and September 2013 (26 games).

Nor was our home record good enough - but football is about confidence and I hope we can actually build from this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Better in the second half but it was still drab.

Like watching two goldfish having a race in a bowl of treacle.

If it was on telly, I would have switched over to watch that.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Seriously.... you put this game forward as evidence of Steven Gerrard not being shit?

He is probably just tired of all the people here moaning from the first minute when the manager doesn't choose their favorite players. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My current feelings ( I'm fickle AF and drinking so this could swing either way in future)

Current squad with SG ceiling = Mid Table

Current squad with TOP Manager ceiling = Top 8

It's not bad...it's just not " good " at all either.

To be honest, I don't think McGinn was actually too bad tonight, and I'm as much as a critic as everyone else.

Kamara and Luiz should be the first names on that midfield IMO

I thought McGinn was as poor as we have been used to. He is lucky to play any minutes let alone 90. He is positively agricultural.

Good win, not a great performance, releaved tbh. We look disorganized all.over the pitch. Ming's was MOTM , followed McGinn who battled all game and made a difference, love his heart. 

We need to stay away from the bottom 3, performances like today are a clear indication we could be in trouble with a bit of bad luck and stronger opposition. 

So glad my weekend ain't ruined. UTV 

• Like 1

Just pretty shit all around. 
Only danger we possess are corners ironically enough. 

Has been and will continue to be a recurring trend at VP since every opponent knows they can sit back and Villa won’t create a thing against them.

Onwards I guess. 

Not felt so flat after a win in a very long time. 

there is so little positive movement towards any attaching coherence that I can’t feel please, as I know it’s only a one off. 

the defence, when we pick mings and everyone is fit will always be tight. We sorted that two years ago. That should give us a confident platform to take risks, move the ball and be aggressive. 

but unfortunately the team still has yet to replace Grealish in terms of moving the ball between the lines. So few passes forward between, so few risks taken and no one can dribble with pace who has form at the moment. End result…nothing. 

How on earth EMI doesn’t start is. Beyond me. Luiz…same. We’d be a different side with them in and McGinn+coutinho out. 

Bertie back, emi in, Luiz in, play with urgency, stop the full backs doing what they can’t do, give Augustinian a chance, drop McGinn, believe in the players and let them play. None of this is hard or difficult and surely we can all see most of this is true……why can’t the man in charge?? 🤯

Edited by tommytenjobs

A very poor quality match, inevitable I guess between two teams that have had poor starts and are consequently low on confidence. But we were always quite comfortable and obviously the superior side. Let’s hope that helps them settle down a bit and start to play in a slightly calmer fashion.

Ashley Young MOTM for me again. His current form is phenomenal - who would have thought it?

Oh, yeh, sorry, to make sure I don’t get banned from AntiGerrardTalk, Gerrard is crap, we may have won but he is still crap. 

Is that OK?

• Haha 1

Â