Graham Potter

messi11

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have made this point so many times. We desperately need one manager to leave us for a better gig, to prove to others that we don't have to be a career killer. Who was the last manager who left Villa for a better job? I can think of some who moved arguably kind of sideways (MON, Bruce) but not many to move up the ladder.

You have to go back to Graham Taylor Mk1 in 1990

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 15:50, messi11 said:

Would be a dream if he was a Villa manager. Brighton playing football like Pep's Barcelona. 

At the time dean smith was sacked I believe TrentVilla suggested him as our best option for a replacement. He was rounded on by the masses as I recall. Turns out he was 100% right. 

Edited by villa89

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

At the time dean smith was sacked I believe TrentVilla suggested him as our best option for a replacement. He was rounded on by the masses as I recall. Turns out he was 100% right. 

Still right now some people think he's a novice manager who we'd be taking a gamble on, learning on the job at Villa. Meanwhile, others think he's unattainable for us. I think closer to the latter. 

48 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Meanwhile, others think he's unattainable for us. I think closer to the latter. 

Nah, if we paid up he'd come, same as every manager. Villa is a good job, the reason our managers dont go on to better things is that pretty much all of them for as long as I can remember have been rubbish.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Nah, if we paid up he'd come, same as every manager. Villa is a good job, the reason our managers dont go on to better things is that pretty much all of them for as long as I can remember have been rubbish.  

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Or appointing the wrong people.

I think I disagree with this, and that it is in fact a bad job, that managers are given a team that can't compete at the top of the table - or even really the middle of it - and a fanbase that expects more than the team can give. What's more, if the ownership structure is bad, then it's a bad job - the best manager in the business could still be hamstrung by owners who don't want to spend, or who appoint an inept CEO or DoF or whatever.

The reasons Brighton seems to work so well now are a] they trust managers until it really isn't working, and are reaping dividends of Potter building the squad he wants over time, and b] they have a best-in-class behind-the-scenes analytical team that repeatedly allows them to punch above their weight in the transfer market. Meanwhile, their fans don't get agitated and demand the manager's head every time the team lose 4 or 5 on the bounce.

Does that sound like us? It does not sound like us to me. For that reason, I don't think he would come here and if he did, he would be stupid to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

My memory is that he was the latest in what was an ever increasing list of managers that were used to compare and contrast with Dean Smith. Not all of those, if any were suggested by Trent, just to be clear.

So I think some (not all) criticism may have stemmed from the slightly interchangeable nature of VT’s latest hunk of the month when it comes to managers.

For what it’s worth I did have one or two digs at Potter’s/Brighton’s expense around that time as they were on a miserable run - winless in 12 games (with 8 draws and 4 defeats), over the sort of middle 18 games last season, 2 wins were recorded. 

But obviously he and Brighton have carried the positive end of last season over into this one.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My memory is that he was the latest in what was an ever increasing list of managers that were used to compare and contrast with Dean Smith. Not all of those, if any were suggested by Trent, just to be clear.

So I think some (not all) criticism may have stemmed from the slightly interchangeable nature of VT’s latest hunk of the month when it comes to managers.

For what it’s worth I did have one or two digs at Potter’s/Brighton’s expense around that time as they were on a miserable run - winless in 12 games (with 8 draws and 4 defeats), over the sort of middle 18 games last season, 2 wins were recorded. 

But obviously he and Brighton have carried the positive end of last season over into this one.

You’re not the only on to have had a dig at Brighton and Potter.

As a record on repeat. I will say it again they will be a top 10 team for many many seasons to come, even after Potters gone. 

7 minutes ago, sne said:

27 points from the last 26 PL games from January up until now in 2022.

Graham potters first TWO seasons at Brighton produced 1.08 PPG 41 points over 38 games to finish 15 & 16th… Just saying 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Graham potters first TWO seasons at Brighton produced 1.08 PPG 41 points over 38 games to finish 15 & 16th… Just saying 

Not really comparable clubs and situations IMO and if he did those numbers here he would and should get sacked.

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Massively overachieving with the squad at his disposal then though surely?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Massively overachieving with the squad at his disposal then though surely?

Eh, not really but also kind of? Their wage bill in 19-20 was ranked 17th and 16th for 20-21. He did okay but lets not act like he was making miracles at Brighton in terms of points

The thing with Brighton though is that they regularly play pretty well but can't finish for shit. So in a sense he is actually doing very well with them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yeah.

Graham Potters win record at Brighton is worse than SG's or DS's was....just saying too.