Moment when you knew a Villa manager was done

KentVillan

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves collapse was certainly the moment I knew DS wouldn't turn it around, clung on for another three weeks but he was finished from the moment the deflected Wolves FK went in.

Not at all.

Ae had just played them off the park for 80 minutes, followed by total madness of 10 minutes.

I don’t think Smith or 90% of fans saw a sacking coming.  He had enough credit in the bank to believe he deserved longer.  I don’t believe he thought he was done until he was done.

• Like 2

West Ham at home for Smith, right after that dreadful performance at Arsenal. He dropped Mings and we still lost 4-1, can't come back from that. 

Gerrard was done first game this season, absolutely no game plan against a newly promoted team confirmed he's got no idea what he's doing, hoofing balls in from the halfway line, we are still doing it now.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

I don’t think Smith or 90% of fans saw a sacking coming.  He had enough credit in the bank to believe he deserved longer.  I don’t believe he thought he was done until he was done.

The other 10% all just happen to post frequently on VT...

• Like 1

Lambert I felt for the most.  He left a broken man.  Had one hand tied behind his back.  He did well to keep us up with the shit we had as a squad.  I remember a post match interview, his appearance, the beard, he just looked unwell.  The job affected him.  Seen him a few months after he left on football focus or something like that. he looked 10 years younger and healthy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thug said:

Not at all.

Ae had just played them off the park for 80 minutes, followed by total madness of 10 minutes.

i didn't think he was able to turn it around so it was inevitable just wasnt sure when it would happen, the crowd never turned on him from memory it just went incredibly flat

it wasnt a game when i knew he was done, it was when someone on here posted the stat showing that villa were bottom of the PL for distance covered, said to me the players had given up

funnily enough guess where we are on that table now...

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Smith I knew after the Watford game on opening day his time was up. He was already walking a thin line after a poor 2nd half of the previous season, and there was nothing in that performance to suggest he could get the best from this revamped squad, or that he would ever work it out.

Surprised at this. Pre-season was a covid mess.

Did you not waver when we then beat Newcastle with loads of injuries, drew with Brentford with so many injuries we started Young and Carney centre mid, played well at Chelsea, beat Everton then won at Old Trafford? Three wins and a draw with a lot of injuries.

13 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Lambert I felt for the most.  He left a broken man.  Had one hand tied behind his back.  He did well to keep us up with the shit we had as a squad.  I remember a post match interview, his appearance, the beard, he just looked unwell.  The job affected him.  Seen him a few months after he left on football focus or something like that. he looked 10 years younger and healthy.

Still clung on for the pay-off though. 

If I was in a job that was making me physically ill, and I was already a multi-millionaire, I'd have quit, rather than sign a new contract. 

13 hours ago, TomC said:

The other 10% all just happen to post frequently on VT...

Yh, the crazy 10% that thought…

- Beating Everton 3-0

- Losing to Chelsea on pens with a very good display

- Beating Man United

- Losing to a very good Spurs 2-1

- Battering Wolves for 80 minutes

- 10 minutes of utter madness conceding 3 goals

….was a run where it was clear that he knew that he would lose his job after all he had achieved.

I really don’t think many people at that point could have contemplated what was to follow.

0B97271A-5B17-42E5-BF4E-7BC7F379AC23.jpeg

Â