Moment when you knew a Villa manager was done

KentVillan

Smith was definitely the Wolves game, I think that marked his card for the owners. Probably the worst I have felt coming out of VP that was. The Southampton game shortly after it was clear as day from his face from minute 1 it was game over if we lost. A very similar look to other posts in here! The handshakes with his staff before or as the final whistle went told you it was game over, and then the Target interview after confirmed it was coming.

As others said the O'Neill one was the CSKA game... Just mind blowing although at the time I could kind of see why he was going for 4th.. giving up a chance of a Euro cup run was just mental! Then losing out on both I think lost a lot of his fans at the time.

Lambert I think there were probably numerous occasions off the top of my head, none really stick out in my mind particularly but I bet many of them included the infamous... We go again line..

McLeish was the Bolton game, I have never seen a crowd turn on a manager like that tbh! A part of me felt sorry for him, but he should never ever have been appointed in the first place! I mean how many times have you seen fans protesting about a manager not even appointed yet.. certainly not many!

Remi Garde I seem to remember we didn't buy anybody the January he was in charge and you could just see how f****d off he was at not being backed or helped.

Graham Taylor was that game at home Vs the scum... Losing twice in a season in the manner we did to them was just unacceptable.

David O'Leary is the obvious fickle fans comment

Gerrard for me was that Watford game at home... I actually didn't want him in from the start though so was very early compared to a lot of others.. maybe unfairly so in all honesty. But seeing him just sitting down arms folded in the dugout sulking instead of giving out instructions or anything blew my mind... Pathetic.. I remember shouting well don't just sit there you idiot and a fair number of fans around me turning their heads and giving me the stare lol

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 4

Think Garde was losing at Sunderland despite that Carles Gil wondergoal, you knew there was no way back to stay up at that point.

Yeah Lambert never had a specific moment given how terrible we were for months under him annually. Perhaps Bradford if he'd gone in that period but we actually found some form shortly afterwards.

Sherwood the Leicester game.

Again nothing specific with Gerrard. The time I turned though was during the 2-0 win over Norwich, just thought it was a desperately boring game against terrible and relegated team and just couldn't see us doing anything under him with that style. We've won two games since in the premier league.

Gregory the FA cup final.

Up to that his reign had largely been pretty interesting although he nearly went halfway through that season with poor winter run but just about hung on with a win in a game we were losing. After that it was a very entertaining cup run and some good league games and we still had a feel of top 6 team.

After losing that most of our top players wanted to leave although someone like Southgate stayed an extra season and we slowly drifted down the league table and aside from the MON years have never really returned.

Incredible aswell he made those infamous timewarp comments about Doug and still was in charge for a further 12 months after that interview! Think he got a lucrative new contract just before the cup final otherwise probably would've made sense to let him go as that was the high point.

The football also got very dull consistantly afterwards. Apart from Nilis wondergoal v Chelsea and then the sad injury and Merse relegating Coventry right at the end I can hardly recall anything about 2000/01 compared to other seasons around that time when there were plenty of memorable games.

I know Gerrard was done when I didn't even bother going to certain games towards the end of the season on account of the fact it was so shit and mind numbing.

Staggered by the backing he received and the constant defence - we've been utter shite for 96% of his reign.

Shit watch in everyday. 

• Like 3

personally i thought mcleish was the week before vs sunderland, everyone knew what was going on but despite anything thats said about him i thought villa fans were apathetic for most of the season, didnt chant for him but didnt chant against him either, wasnt that much booing or anything

then i seem to remember in the second half vs sunderland there was a chant in the holte of something like "martin you're a word removed" to MON who was the sunderland manager...it lit the fuse, it was followed immediately by "alex you're a word removed" it was met with laughter and smiles and almost like a release that finally we'd held back for so long but now was the time

and then the next game was bolton at home and the bomb went off

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

Always felt for Remi. Ok, it was a disaster, but it was already over.

Yeah they essentially hired anyone they could to stand and watch us get **** every week, giving no support to them to try and stop it.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah they essentially hired anyone they could to stand and watch us get **** every week, giving no support to them to try and stop it.

they're hired someone french to tickle the bollocks of the young french lads to get them to perform because they bought in to the MOTD myth that the inexperienced french guys were the clubs problem rather than the experienced english players who were absolute words removed

garde didnt stand a chance, was doomed from the start

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

The one that hurt the most was Johnny Gregory.

I love that guy, he was a huge breath of fresh air and in my years of supporting Villa, the season we were top heading into winter was the only season I've ever genuinely believed we could have had a tilt at the title. 

I think he was undone by 2 things. He wanted Juninho & Vieri - Doug said no - and to this day, if he'd got them players in, I believe we win the League that season. 

Then the whole Collymore fiasco. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

The one that hurt the most was Johnny Gregory.

I love that guy, he was a huge breath of fresh air and in my years of supporting Villa, the season we were top heading into winter was the only season I've ever genuinely believed we could have had a tilt at the title. 

I think he was undone by 2 things. He wanted Juninho & Vieri - Doug said no - and to this day, if he'd got them players in, I believe we win the League that season. 

Then the whole Collymore fiasco. 

I loved Gregory but there was some allegedly shady financial doings going on - the whole Balaban affair was one. Spend all that money and not play him? Did we even need a striker after having only recently purchased Angel? 

I don't think its any secret that the Fraud Squad investigated things. 

Nah, I think when he was at Derby they looked into something and he won the court case and got paid damages. 

That whole period was a bit mental. 

I'll never forget when Yorke had left, I cried. He was my hero, I was only 13 or 14 and we went to Villa v Middlesborough first home game. Joachim was on fire & we battered them then on the way out, there were these people in the car park handing out free Yorkie Bars 😂

I think Smith has been the closest to Gregory we've had since but didn't have the same character. 

It's a bit depressing looking back at that period & comparing it to now. Being heartbroken cos' we were finishing 6th, losing Cup Finals & being knocked out the UEFA Cup QF. I'd do anything for them heady days right now, but just shows how much money has influenced & changed the game. 

• Like 1

Â