Moment when you knew a Villa manager was done

KentVillan

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Lambert seemed to cling on and on but the look on his face in that post match interview at Hull said it all

Came here to say the same thing. Steve Bruce was managing Hull too.

Lots of moments for Gerrard but appointing McGinn as captain stood out. He’s not technically done yet obviously but I can only hope.  

For Smith, the Southampton game had a sense of last chance saloon.

For Bruce, I remember losing 2-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday on the day McGinn scored a screamer and thinking how can a manager be so poor with the resources Villa had to work with in the championship.

I can’t remember many others. It felt like a constant blur of hopelessness from 2011-2019.

• Like 1

Gregory calling Doug a dinosaur

O'Leary when he got too clever by half in trying to leak a player revolt

MON when we lost 7-1 to Chelsea

Houllier getting ill

Mcleish v Bolton

Lambert when the away fans turned at the end of 2013-14 though he clung on for about 6 months

Sherwood v Leicester, Garde was doomed to failure from the start

Di Matteo and Bruce both Preston

Smith Arsenal away

Gerrard last week

This thread is depressing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Remi Garde is a good example but they ALL get "the look".

6c9aca4f628888c1e59cf0c8f04e1995

Yeah I think this is spot on.

There's usually a moment where their fight has left them and they kind of reveal their inner child, and you just know they could be anywhere other than there.

I'm not sure every manager gets to that point (did we ever see it with Bruce?), but most of them do. Gerrard's face when Martinelli scored, followed by the post match interview with BT Sport, felt very much like that.

• Like 1

Make no mistake. Gerrard is under more public pressure now than other about-to-be-sacked Villa managers have been, and a HUGE tell is the club have failed to put out a statement affirming support for Gerrard. That lack of a statement of support is damning. 

26 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Smiths was Wolves.

That game really was such a disaster and left a legacy. We never recovered from that and Smith ultimately lost his job. I was at that game and felt we dominated for 80 minutes. And with a 2-0 lead, we were set to slot in nicely behind the European places if I remember correctly. How quickly it turned. 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Houllier getting ill

Mcleish v Bolton

Lambert when the away fans turned at the end of 2013-14 though he clung on for about 6 months

Smith Arsenal away

Gerrard last week

Great reply.

That Sherwood v Leicester game particularly stings. Mad that they went on to win the league and we got relegated. Felt like a very winnable game at the time.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Lots of moments for Gerrard but appointing McGinn as captain stood out. He’s not technically done yet obviously but I can only hope.  

For Smith, the Southampton game had a sense of last chance saloon.

For Bruce, I remember losing 2-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday on the day McGinn scored a screamer and thinking how can a manager be so poor with the resources Villa had to work with in the championship.

I can’t remember many others. It felt like a constant blur of hopelessness from 2011-2019.

Yes. Or rather, taking the armband from Mings. Something felt off about that. His comments about Mings, too, explaining. It seemed there was a switch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Yeah I agree, we were an absolute basket case when he came in, he was little more than a fall guy. If the timing had been different I actually think he could have done quite well for us.

His career since would suggest otherwise 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Houllier getting ill

Mcleish v Bolton

Smith Arsenal away

Gerrard last week

How do you remember all those moments?

I barely remember us playing Arsenal a few days ago!

• Like 1

Smith after the Wolves game had that shell shocked look of wtf just happened. A really big stumble that he never recovered from. 

MON - Rapid Vienna the redux. The death of ambition

Bruce - oddly enough, I didn’t think he would go until cabbage

McLeish - his ad about his progressive style of Dutch football. Christ almighty

Â