Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

He's a useful squad option and can perform well if he's played to his strengths. He's primarily a sitting defensive midfielder and performs the role well when in the Belgian side or when filling in if Neves/Moutinho are injured. He also performed competently when used as one of the back three. He gets stick from Wolves fans when he's used in positions that don't suit him which is more the managers fault than the player himself. You don't want him to be a midfielder who gets into advanced positions as he's got no composure when his energy gets him into good goal scoring positions and often will halt attacks by looking for the safe options. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Is he a 'winner' though? Will he help our 'emergency area'? What about his 'technical side' of things? How will he respond to crippling criticism from a tactically inept coach? 

Yeah course.

I quite like him. A busy player which we need in the middle. £12m is a good price and he's not the sort of player to piss off from his position to cover the full backs and leave us with just Kamara to protect the defence.

If we signed him and a winger like Sarr / Moura then we can play proper 4 2 3 1 / 4 3 3 with width from wingers/wide forwards. We can have the full backs defend more than overlap in attack. 

Dendoncker / Kamara as two of our midfield 3 or as a double pivot in a 2 works well for me. Right combination then we get 4 attacking players in ahead of them instead of just 3 in current system

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I quite like him. A busy player which we need in the middle. £12m is a good price and he's not the sort of player to piss off from his position to cover the full backs and leave us with just Kamara to protect the defence.

If Gerrard tells him to cover the full backs, that's what he will do. You expect him to refuse to follow instructions?

I think he's alright, always looked decent to me doing the basics and covering as the DM in a midfield three with Neves and Moutinho - Wolves have played their best football with that midfield combination, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

£12m for this donkey.

Staggering.

What did Wolves sign him for? Please don't say 7m.

They could be making profit on guy who's warming bench for good part of a year while we can't sell players like Traore and El Ghazi for anything even though they have  good prem seasons for us.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What did Wolves sign him for? Please don't say 7m.

They could be making profit on guy who's warming bench for good part of a year while we can't sell players like Traore and El Ghazi for anything even though they have  good prem seasons for us.

Approx £12m

A lot being made of Dendoncker being able to play CB a lot for Wolves. They played a Back 3, Coady and Boly were very good for them in a Back 3 too in a very defensive team.

All 3 being shipped out the moment they move to a Back 4 and Dendoncker being down the pecking order at both CM and CB has me concerned.

Fine for cover, but so was Chambers for the same positions, it's the XI that needs solving in both.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, he was talented and promising once. Maybe we can find that player but I'm highly nervous.

Â