What is the hottest thing you have ever eaten?

Follyfoot

Christina Hendricks.

Then I woke up :(

After that, it would be this stuff...

spacer.png

Now my taste buds used to love really spicy stuff (although in the last few years, not so much).

One Christmas my wife got me chilli chocolate, and  the above peanut butter by Instant Regret.

The chocolate was just about managable, the peanut butter was **** death. 12 million scoville units.

I managed to use it up eventually by making a peanut butter and chicken vindaloos, and it seriously needed about a teaspoon in a curry for four.

Insane stuff.

I was going to say, its the feeling of euphoria and exhilaration when you eat spicy food. Obviously the food has to be nice in the first place but the spice really adds to it. Love it!

• Like 1

I have a tin of quality Habanero powder. I was a bit too liberal with it on some rice dish I made. I paid a price.

Habanero is as hot as I go, typically. It's got great flavor and heat. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No. Seriously. Somebody enlighten me. 

I mean, why not have a thread about "The most abrasive object you've ever shoved up your arse"? 

Or "What's the hardest you've ever punched yourself in the face?" 

I genuinely don't get it. 

A lot of it is Macho posturing. One upsmanship.

Also, prize money! 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It gives you the same feeling as a ‘runners high’. 

Not in my experience, it doesn't. 

However, I'll buy into the analogy. Running does cause a degree of discomfort, and yet I can find it enjoyable - while many people would say they just don't 'get it'. 

So fair enough. Different strokes and all that. 

Edited by mjmooney

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was going to say, its the feeling of euphoria and exhilaration when you eat spicy food. Obviously the food has to be nice in the first place but the spice really adds to it. Love it!

Well, on the rare occasions I have a curry, I can honestly say I don't experience anything remotely resembling euphoria or exhilaration. 

And I'm certainly not going anywhere near the levels of pain described in this thread. 

I like spicy food, but it really makes me sweat. Not much fun if you’re in a restaurant. Even less fun if you try to wipe the sweat off your face and rub chili fire into your eyes.

The right level of hot for me is where you don’t feel like you might need an epi pen. More a nice tingle mixed in with good flavours.

Competitive ring burning is an odd hobby. But each to their own.

• Like 1

My anecdote is right here.

On 28/01/2020 at 12:08, BOF said:

Well they measure it with the Scoville scale.  I did an Indian one in Edinburgh.  The Kismot Killer (restaurant is Kismot).  At the time I thought it was just another 'hot food challenge' the likes of which I had done with consummate ease multiple times in my life.  I really like properly hot food and I regularly did heat challenges and had never been bested.

It wasn't until afterwards I realised it was regarded as one of the top 5 hottest meals in the UK with the sauce at around 4 million scovillle (concentrated capsaican so it's not naturally occurring).  The other hottest meals being various types of chilli or wings etc etc in other parts of the UK.

I basically wanted to see if there was a meal out there that I couldn't eat, because I was beginning to think there wasn't.

The waitress actually pleaded with me not to do it because "you seem like nice people and this will ruin your evening.  You're not going to a pub or club after this.  You're going home".

I said "nah it's OK I do this all the time.  I'll be fine".

Well she brought it down, and she kept coming down through the meal to see how I was doing, and she was amazed I was getting through it.

This is how hot it was - you were allowed to drink as much milk as you wanted with it.  That's usually a massive cheat, because a protein in milk breaks down capsaican.  But this was so **** hot, they let you drink milk.

A table of 14 people behind me had also ordered a Killer between the lot of them, along with their regular meals, just to see what it was like, and they couldn't get through it between them all.  But I was ploughing on.

In the end I did it.  I finished the meal and I got my Kismot Killer certificate.

But she was right, it **** ruined my evening, we went straight home and I would not do it again.

Initially I figured if I was going to have a problem it would be the heat in the mouth.  But that was easy.  No problem.

Nope, the problem was something I had never experienced before and have not experienced since.  At that level of heat, the problem was the lining of my stomach.  Once the food goes down into your stomach, it just sits there and tries to eat its way down through your insides.  Take the shortest route out of you.  And there is nothing you can do to stop it.  You certainly can't vomit it back up, because anyone who has ever vomited spicy food will tell you it is ten times hotter coming back the other direction and you could go into shock with the heat, and choke if it affects your breathing.  All I could do was move the angle I was sitting at, so that the food was burning a slightly different part of my insides each time.  And once that got unbearable I'd move to the other side and let it burn that bit instead.  And drink milk and try to dilute it while burning little bits of my insides.  It was incredibly uncomfortable.

Suffice to say I sat up all night facilitating its evacuation at its earliest convenience no matter how small each reward was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

On 27/08/2022 at 20:56, Xela said:

A carolina reaper chicken curry. 

First time you have, its a biblical experience. 

Its spicy when it comes out the other end. Worse was my piss though. It must have absorbed into it so it was like pissing pepper spray. My urethra was on fire for 12 hours afterwards. 

You aren't really tempting me mate.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 23:08, tonyh29 said:

Think we’ve done this before ??

for me It was when I was in Korea … I’d had a few drinks and went to a restaurant , it had spare ribs on the menu with a Sun icon next to them with the word “hot” written underneath it  

for reasons I still don’t fathom to this day , I interpreted this as them being a big seller and “ get them whilst they are hot”

first bite and I was sweating a little , few bites later and I couldn’t feel my lips … ordinarily I’d have given up , but I’d had a few and I was hungry and I love ribs , so I used the knife and napkin and scraped off as much of the sauce  off as I could … at some point I had to go to the bathroom and put my head under the tsp , i was sweating like I was in a sauna … the rest of the night was a little uncomfortable until gradually I could feel my lips again 

next morning as we were leaving the hotel , the stomach started rumbling and I had to make an emergency run to the bathroom at which point it felt like I was shitting hot lava … whilst also sweating like I was in a sauna again

yeah,  I’m basically a bit crap when it comes to hot food ,

was expecting you to have done the szechuan hot and sour soup with szechuan peppercorns

what a weird sensation that is, not sure what it measures up as on the scoville units, dont think its silly but its just the way the peppercorns numb your mouth so that you can eat the hotter chillies, never had anything else like it

On 27/08/2022 at 22:11, HongKongVillan said:

It was a vinderloo from Chamon at Smelly Oak. 

I went one better (worse) and had the phaal in there. Nearly killed me, I could hardly breathe.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

as our mate is bent over like his stomach is trying to escape through his arse like a scalded horse.

That's a fantastic line, made me laugh.

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

My anecdote is right here.

Reading this made me feel so nauseous.

I actually have done a hot food challenge once, mostly because if you could get it down it was free, and I didn’t have my wallet on me. The problem I had wasn’t so much the heat (although it was an unpleasantly hot spicy chili burger and chili fries which left me drenched in sweat) but the quantity of food, which eventually became impossible to get down as my stomach had gone into a defensive posture.

Anyway I failed the challenge and had to get a mate to pay for it.

Like you I felt horrific for the rest of the day, and I’d imagine you’d have found this challenge a walk in the park. I can only begin to imagine how hot that curry was. Thoughts and prayers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

You aren't really tempting me mate.

Some people would pay for that! 

You do get used to it though. After i'd had it 4 or 5 times, my nob didn't burn as much, if at all. I guess you build a tolerance to it. Plus I always remembered not to have a slash straight after! 

Great story @BOF

I've not got to 4m on the scale, the reaper was about up to 2m according to the chart below.

As you say, the worst thing is if you burp/cough/sneeze/vomit and its 10x hotter coming back up!

Scoville-Scale-Of-Pepper-Heat-S-1200x173

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Great story @BOF

I've not got to 4m on the scale, the reaper was about up to 2m according to the chart below.

As you say, the worst thing is if you burp/cough/sneeze/vomit and its 10x hotter coming back up!

Scoville-Scale-Of-Pepper-Heat-S-1200x173

It's that Thai / Cayenne / Tabasco / Serrano range which I think tastes nicest. Above that and you're starting to inflict real harm on your bumhole for very little benefit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think scotch bonnet/habanero is about my threshold from "this has a lovely kick" to "why am I doing this to myself".

It's annoying how inconsistent they are though, sometimes I can put identical amounts of a chili in and one meal blows my socks off and the other one hardly tastes like it has any chilis in at all.

Edited by Davkaus

Pokey hot stuff makes me feel lousier than I normally do, trick I learnt from one of the teams I trained from India was to have a saucer of lemon slices at hand, the lemon slices seem to take the edge off the heat slightly. Any one else do this?

Â