Gaming laptop required

Dodgyknees

Hi,

im usually good with this but I’m reaching out cos I am not sure what steps to take.

I have £650-750 to spend on a gaming laptop for my partners kids, and I am looking at ones with 8gb ram. I’d like to find one I can upgrade over time with them - and one with good storage and can run fairly modern games,

Can somebody suggest a good laptop ? 

thank you 

24 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Hi,

im usually good with this but I’m reaching out cos I am not sure what steps to take.

I have £650-750 to spend on a gaming laptop for my partners kids, and I am looking at ones with 8gb ram. I’d like to find one I can upgrade over time with them - and one with good storage and can run fairly modern games,

Can somebody suggest a good laptop ? 

thank you 

It's really difficult finding a laptop at that price with a discrete GPU with at least 6 GB of video memory which would future-proof the buy.

This one was the only one I could find and it breaks the budget by 50 quid. But you get a RTX 3060 and a 11th gen intel I7 in it, very nice for that price. And a 144 hz screen.

And upgrading laptops are notoriously difficult. This one should be RAM up-gradable at least.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9361575?clickPR=plp:8:9 

@Dodgyknees might be worthwhile posting this in the Games and Gaming forum. @Tegis is right that laptops are for the most part hopeless for upgrading and that your budget is quite low for a gaming laptop, that said my first stop would probably be Amazon Warehouse.

If your internet connection is up to it, maybe you could look at a streaming option? that way you could get a cheap laptop / chromebook / tablet with a decent screen and controller (I've zero experience of this though, so hopefully someone can chime in?)

5 hours ago, bielesibub said:

@Dodgyknees might be worthwhile posting this in the Games and Gaming forum. @Tegis is right that laptops are for the most part hopeless for upgrading and that your budget is quite low for a gaming laptop, that said my first stop would probably be Amazon Warehouse.

If your internet connection is up to it, maybe you could look at a streaming option? that way you could get a cheap laptop / chromebook / tablet with a decent screen and controller (I've zero experience of this though, so hopefully someone can chime in?)

Stadia works perfectly on Chromebooks, but is dependant on your Internet quality. Same for GeForce NOW. Apparently Amazon Luna works too, but I've not seen it.

Steam on Chromebooks isn't quite ready yet (early beta) but will not come into it's own until there are some Chromebooks with discrete GPUs. It'll work fine for older games, but you'd need more storage than is usual on a Chromebook.

Chromebooks mean monthly OS updates, and no antivirus or other extras. Encrypted by default.

Â