What class do you consider yourself to be?

paddy

What class do you consider yourself to be  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be

• Middle Class
    • Working Class
    • I don't see myself as within a particular class
    • Upper-Middle and Upper class

I grew up in the blue collar area of a white collar town. I started working at age 14, but for most of the kids I went to school with, money was not a concern. So when you combine my home life and neighborhood with my larger environment and experiences with different people, I'd probably classify myself as middle class. Some might think otherwise, but who gives a f*ck!

I would agree that not all of those from private school turn out to be complete snobs. The vast majority don't, but it's the ones that do that stand out. I know some people who went there who are great people. Unfortunately I know a few who went there who are so up their arse it's unbelievable.

My parents were both working class.

I have professional qualifications, am in lower/middle-management, and own my own house in a relatively affluent part of Birmingham.

I would have to say i'm middle-class.

It's become more difficult to define in the last twenty years since the people that did working class jobs became able to afford middle class status symbols and the working class stopped working.

I think we need some re-definitions of class.

Agree with this, grew up with parents both working Dad at Leyland then Land Rover; Mum at Rover subsiary. Hand me downs commonplace - footie boots until I got my own new pair at 14. Lived and brought up in Redditch prior to i going downhill.

I have more saved up already than I would get in inheritance; I've personally worked since I was 13 in various jobs until a 10month 'break' last year;, I ask for very little (except more time to play golf and get to Villa) and need even less; I would therefore conside myslef to be of working class stock but now pretty well firmly entrenched in middle class mediocrity.

Which I think all VTers who have met me would agree.

i would define the Classes as:

1) Underclass - doesn't work, and doesn't want to work. Lives off benefits or crime.

2) Working Class - standard job, went to comprehensive school.

3) Middle Class - professional job, decent income, owns house. went to private school, or good comp school.

4) Upper Class - doesn't need to work for a living, as has enough money. Went to private school obviously.

Iam working class..i grew up in a village just outside town with my mother working in cosmetic shop and my father as an ambulance driver.

Altough i do have a uncle who is a millionaire and no kids :D

But he started out poor with no education,but created his own business and got very rich from it..

You should see our family gatherings..evrybody is kissing up to him just cause he is rich..it's so bloody pathetic!

4) Upper Class - doesn't need to work for a living, as has enough money. Went to private school obviously.

If you happen to have inherited a massive estate with a falling down house, the need for a new roof, and death duties, with no money to pay the death duties, you have a pretty stark set of choices to make. You need to make money somehow, and work would seem to be an obvious one. This isn’t to say you should feel sympathy, but the idea that its all an easy life for all of the ‘aristocracy’ is one that doesn’t pan out.

Also more likely to have gone to a public school

1) Underclass - doesn't work, and doesn't want to work. Lives off benefits or crime.

3) Middle Class - professional job, decent income, owns house. went to private school, or good comp school.

I would define your list as very subjective.

For example:

I am currently claiming benefits due to disability but also, have enough money to live off thanks to inheritance and gambling ( I won £500,000) but don't tell the gov! I sell weed in my suburban area to middle class folk who like to dabble now and then whilst swigging a few bottles of chateauneuf du pape (1994). I went to a good comprehensive school. I own my own house.

...What am I?

For example:

I am currently claiming benefits due to disability but also, have enough money to live off thanks to inheritance and gambling ( I won £500,000) but don't tell the gov! I sell weed in my suburban area to middle class folk who like to dabble now and then whilst swigging a few bottles of chateauneuf du pape (1994). I went to a good comprehensive school. I own my own house.

...What am I?

You are a Gangster ;)

For example:

...What am I?

yes, i would agree that my list is very subjective - that is my definition, i'm sure everyone else will have a different list.

What are you?

well you are unlucky (disability), yet lucky (winning gambling).

The money doesn't make you upper class as your money is 'new money' which doesn't count.

Your benefits doesn't make you part of the underclass, as i wasn't thinking about that type of benefit (maybe i should have specified :) ).

But you do like to flirt with the underclass by selling drugs, yet by sticking to soft drugs you aren't serious about it, its more just for fun.

I would say you are working class overall, who tried to be middle-class for many years, then thought sod it, tried to be underclass, and in the end, realised your roots, and stayed true to your working class upbringing.

correct?

I would agree that not all of those from private school turn out to be complete snobs. The vast majority don't, but it's the ones that do that stand out. I know some people who went there who are great people. Unfortunately I know a few who went there who are so up their arse it's unbelievable.

That is my experience to from what I've found at uni.

I actually think I'm the opposite of a snob, in that I think I can often distance myself from people who I think are upper middle class and upper class. And then over time if they don't display what I generally think are snobby attitudes I let them in. I'm not sure what that makes me and its probably not a good thing but when I hear someone say they are from Henley and they start speaking in a posh accent and talk about their world tour experiences in there gap year (which they automatically think everyone can afford to do) I tend to leave the conversation.

The class system over, just let go people. It don't matter any more.

The class system is not over. It is more blurred than it used to be, but most people still mix in their own social class, and don't move between classes.

I suppose there are the Chavs and the Chav-nots.

shame on you

you've just risen 3 places in my list of people to have killed for that quip

your now 123493 rd if your interested ... number 1 is still the silly bitch at my sons school who can't park her 4 by 4 in a straight line

Â