Mr Barry - The Final Offer!!

AvfcRigo82

Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?

• no
    • yes

People want to talk about, oh its dragged on, just let him go, this is about principle, so "NO" we should not sell for anything less than $18m, unless Barry hands in a transfer request.

is that US$ Or AUS$?

I only want the Villa to accept what they have indicated to Liverpool in the first place. MON and Mr Lerner have held their ground so if 16m and Finnan fits with what they are asking then fine. If not, then such a bid should be rejected.

But Liverpool can only make a 'final offer' when they have the money to see it through, and it appears that at the moment they don't.

The likelihood of GB still being on the Villa's books come September 1st is still there.

I think a key factor will be the actual payment, Liverpool cannot offer this pay a 5% now and the rest over a period of 10years. I exaggerated that but their method of payment is also important for this deal to be struck.

Well the budget has already been allocated so Hicks and Gillett aren't directly involved at this stage and while Parry is as tight as a duck's arse, I doubt whether he has the authority to over-rule Rafa anymore. He's a bit of lame duck is Rick.

But, if Parry has been tasked by Benitez to secure the transfers of Barry and Keane within the constraints of that budget, wouldn't this be the tactics he would employ?

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you are getting at. Please clarify.

You said that the reason for Liverpool's bids being below Villa's price is a question of differing valuations; that if Benitez felt that Barry was worth £18 million he would, in effect, order Parry to pay it and get the deal done.

My point was that, given the budget that you say has been set by Hicks and Gillette, and the apparent twin targets of Keane and Barry, would Benitez have said to Parry "use that budget to get me these 2 players"? And would Parry have tried his best to get the price down, regardless of Benitez's opinions on the players value?

The budget isn't that rigid though with players coming in and going out for various amounts. There are other targets that need to be budgeted for besides Barry and Keane. We've just spent £3m on a reserve keeper - we could have economised on the likes of Antti Niemi and allocated that money to the Barry deal.

Redman you could have economised further by keeping a keeper you wanted to sell to us for £10m but let go for £3.5 to the Boggies

Yes - we need a right back \goalkeeper\ right midfielder

this would give us the right back - and the funds to get 2 more players

I voted yes just because I want this saga to end - there is a risk it will start to be a major distraction as we prepare for the new season. And we would have forced the Redscum to come up with 70 or 80% more than their original offer depending on how you value Finnan, which is not a bad result.

I certainly don't think we need to accept the bid to enable us to buy new players. Does that mean you think that if we hadn't sold him we would not have been able to buy any players this summer?

Yeah, take it. This thing needs to be sorted out, it's dragged out waaaay too long. We've made the point, not caved in and Finnan's value is arguable, so we've got the price we wanted, give or take a few thousand.

I don't get the "17m + Finnan or we've backed down" attitude, as the 1m valuation on Finnan is just a figure plucked out the air by the papers.

Yes!

They value him at £3m, we value him at £1m, split the difference, £16m + Finnan, at least it solves the right back and means we can still find another.

It will put this unsavoury episode to bed, we have made our point and squeezed more out of them.

In time im sure Barry will regret how he has gone about it, well if he has a sense of decency he will.

Good bye and good riddance.

i see the scousers are at it again..Pennant on the BBC saying how Robbie Keane and Torress would be the best partnership in the premiership...last I saw Keane was a Spurs player. Using your players in the press,to tap up other teams players- like Gerrard with Barry, shows a distict lack of class a a club - let Barry rot in the reserves..its the world cup in 2 years - he might want to play well you know!

To resolve our RB issue - then yes.

I would also suggest a clause to prevent him playing against Villa in any competition this season

No, no, no. Apart from the fact that such a clause isn't legal, I want to see Barry have to face the fan's reaction when he returns to Villa Park. It's the least he deserves.

i see the scousers are at it again..Pennant on the BBC saying how Robbie Keane and Torress would be the best partnership in the premiership...last I saw Keane was a Spurs player. Using your players in the press,to tap up other teams players- like Gerrard with Barry, shows a distict lack of class a a club - let Barry rot in the reserves..its the world cup in 2 years - he might want to play well you know!

And like Gardner with Sidwell? Take your villa-tinted glasses off.

To resolve our RB issue - then yes.

I would also suggest a clause to prevent him playing against Villa in any competition this season

No, no, no. Apart from the fact that such a clause isn't legal, I want to see Barry have to face the fan's reaction when he returns to Villa Park. It's the least he deserves.

You can have a gentlemans agreement, or at least thats what Man Utd seem to do. Tim Howard didn't play against them when he signed for Everton.

Â