Mr Barry - The Final Offer!!

AvfcRigo82

Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept 16m + Steve Finnan for GB?

• no
    • yes

Another thought occurs to me.

MON put a price tag of £18 million on Barrys head and said to Liverpool "thats what you need to offer".

5 bids later, and Liverpool are offering us £16 million plus a player who matches a position that we need to fill.

This is Liverpool's 5th bid, they've been scrambling down the back of the sofa for 2 months now trying to get enough together to get their target.

By now, the 5th bid, I think this is probably as high as Liverpool can afford to go. Their precarious financial situation in well documented. So, it could be said that MON has been effective in getting Liverpool to go as high as they can. Liverpool are said to be "in contact with Villa to ensure their bid won't be rejected". Smacks of desperation to me. MON has bled them dry. They can't go any higher after this, so mission accomplished.

That's a myth.

It's no secret that Liverpool are having to manage their finances carefully but the toing-and-froing is more about the valuation itself than the ability to match it.

If Benitez thought Barry was worth £18m, he would have paid it by now even if it mean't compromising another transfer.

It depends on your point-of-view who's pissing about.

If Barry wasn't so adamant about leaving, there would no reason why Villa couldn't hold out for the full £18m. But as it stands, it isn't in anybody's interests for him to stay so a compromise is the only solution.

Absolutely. It's just nice that you've been forced to compromise up from a mish-mash of reserve team players to a minimum of £17m, and we've only had to compromise by £1m.

:winkold:

It depends on your point-of-view who's pissing about.

If Barry wasn't so adamant about leaving, there would no reason why Villa couldn't hold out for the full £18m. But as it stands, it isn't in anybody's interests for him to stay so a compromise is the only solution.

Absolutely. It's just nice that you've been forced to compromise up from a mish-mash of reserve team players to a minimum of £17m, and we've only had to compromise by £1m.

:winkold:

Well it's only fair - he is your captain. :winkold:

If Benitez thought Barry was worth £18m, he would have paid it by now even if it mean't compromising another transfer.

I don't disagree with that Redman. But I think that Messrs Parry, Gillette and Hicks are of differing priorities..

I'm a fan, not the clubs accountant. I want the best deal for Villa, not to squeeze as much as possible out of Liverpool. Gillette and Hicks will obviously have different opinions but I think the longer this Barry thing goes on the more unprepared we're going to be for the new season. If MON has said we 'dont need the money' then why is he being so stubborn about a couple of million. Barry does not want to play for us, so he needs to be got rid of. If we can get good money and a good player in a position we urgently need for him, then I don't see the point of the hesitation.

Yep. It's good money. We need Finnan and the whole Barry thing needs to be sorted ASAP for the good of the team.

We don't need Finnan so much as to concede to Liverpool if we think it's a bad deal. Maybe Arsenal would offer cash + Hoyte. There are other options so let's not start talking as if Liverpool have us over a barrel and let's not allow the general "we are doomed because we haven't bought a right back with only 5 weeks of the transfer window left" panic rampaging over the rest of this site affect this issue.

I'm a fan, not the clubs accountant. I want the best deal for Villa, not to squeeze as much as possible out of Liverpool. Gillette and Hicks will obviously have different opinions but I think the longer this Barry thing goes on the more unprepared we're going to be for the new season. If MON has said we 'dont need the money' then why is he being so stubborn about a couple of million. Barry does not want to play for us, so he needs to be got rid of. If we can get good money and a good player in a position we urgently need for him, then I don't see the point of the hesitation.

People seem to have short memories.

The manager isn't being stubborn, he's setting a precendent, and sending a large message to all clubs.

DirtyPool thought they could unsettle the player, barry say a few bad things in the press and that the Villla would sell on the cheap fo around $10m.

This saga has been a conspiracy from the beginning, make no mistake! DirtyPool, barry and his manager all have there dirty fingers in this, its been a plan that has backfired badly on them all, and they've been left with no option except "ONE"!

For Mr Barry to hand in a transfer request, and why won't he? Because he wants his payout. If Barry forgoed his payout, then the Manager would quite easily except a lower offer.

People want to talk about, oh its dragged on, just let him go, this is about principle, so "NO" we should not sell for anything less than $18m, unless Barry hands in a transfer request.

I think anything around the 15 mill mark plus Finnan would be a good deal for us.

If Finnan is part of the deal then you could value you him at anywhere between 1 and 2.5 mill as even though hes 32 he has plenty of Premiership, champs league and International experience.

I would just like to see this deal concluded now as its becoming a little tiresome.

I don't disagree with that Redman. But I think that Messrs Parry, Gillette and Hicks are of differing priorities..

Well the budget has already been allocated so Hicks and Gillett aren't directly involved at this stage and while Parry is as tight as a duck's arse, I doubt whether he has the authority to over-rule Rafa anymore. He's a bit of lame duck is Rick.

Well the budget has already been allocated so Hicks and Gillett aren't directly involved at this stage and while Parry is as tight as a duck's arse, I doubt whether he has the authority to over-rule Rafa anymore. He's a bit of lame duck is Rick.

But, if Parry has been tasked by Benitez to secure the transfers of Barry and Keane within the constraints of that budget, wouldn't this be the tactics he would employ?

But, if Parry has been tasked by Benitez to secure the transfers of Barry and Keane within the constraints of that budget, wouldn't this be the tactics he would employ?

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you are getting at. Please clarify.

You said that the reason for Liverpool's bids being below Villa's price is a question of differing valuations; that if Benitez felt that Barry was worth £18 million he would, in effect, order Parry to pay it and get the deal done.

My point was that, given the budget that you say has been set by Hicks and Gillette, and the apparent twin targets of Keane and Barry, would Benitez have said to Parry "use that budget to get me these 2 players"? And would Parry have tried his best to get the price down, regardless of Benitez's opinions on the players value?

No

The deal needs to be £17m + Finnan as we said we valued Finnan at £1m

agreed totally.....no 16.95m...its 17m plus Finnan only now, we've stood our ground this long

You said that the reason for Liverpool's bids being below Villa's price is a question of differing valuations; that if Benitez felt that Barry was worth £18 million he would, in effect, order Parry to pay it and get the deal done.

My point was that, given the budget that you say has been set by Hicks and Gillette, and the apparent twin targets of Keane and Barry, would Benitez have said to Parry "use that budget to get me these 2 players"? And would Parry have tried his best to get the price down, regardless of Benitez's opinions on the players value?

The budget isn't that rigid though with players coming in and going out for various amounts. There are other targets that need to be budgeted for besides Barry and Keane. We've just spent £3m on a reserve keeper - we could have economised on the likes of Antti Niemi and allocated that money to the Barry deal.

No

The fee has to be worth £18 million or no deal

As a Liverpool fan I hope this is true, no deal. You're saying with the utmost respect he's worth £4m more than Alonso, don't make me laugh, or sorry cringe, he's a good player yes admittedly but not in the class of Xabi, and M oN's smokescreen of Arsenal coming on the scene is just that, a smokescreen, reeks of desperation to me, what's their offer, £6m plus Senderos god forbid, I sincerely hope this deal doesn't go through, we're probably as sick of this as you all are, i've always had the utmost respect for your great club and look forward to another great visit to Villa Park this season, whether we have GB or you do, hopefully it's you, anyway good luck for the forthcoming season and my apologies to the original poster who wanted a yes or no answer, here's mine

NO

Andy_P_LFC you have no idea how good GB would be for Liverpool....as somebody who has watched him since we brought him from Brighton about 10 years ago...this player is a gifted player. Technically you may be right in that Alonso MAY be better but the balance GB will bring to your team and his all round game is better than Alonso's and I know you will disagree but if GB does come to Liverpool you might look back in a years time and agree with me.

Â