villafan306

Who would you play in goal?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you play in goal?

• Thomas Sorensen
    • Sturart Taylor
    • Stefan Postma
    • Wayne Henderson

Thomas Sorensen admits he faces a real fight for the No1 shirt at Villa Park next season, but warned newboy Stuart Taylor: "I'm going nowhere."

The Danish international will start the season as the man in possession of the shirt, but knows former Arsenal man Taylor will put him under pressure.

That, insists Sorensen, is Justas it should be. He reflected: "If he doesn't want that No 1 spot, he shouldn't come to a club like Aston Villa.

"I don't expect anything other then him trying to do his best. If you don't have any intentions of one day being No 1, then you might as well forget it.

"Stuart's a very good keeper and he's a good lad as well so he's fitted in really well. Now there's great competition with Stuart, Stefan Postma's when he's fit and Wayne Henderson.

"Stuart has just added to that. It's good for me as well - it keeps me on my toes and makes sure I do things properly.

"Hopefully I can keep him away, but I'm sure he'll play a game or two in the cups and we'll see. I've always set myself high targets so it has to spur me on some more.

"But it doesn't change my agenda at all. I'm very hardworking and always looking to improve no matter who is behind me or in front of me. It's always about doing well and getting better and the bottom line hasn't changed."

He continued: "I'm really looking forward to this season. Looking back I only had problems in two or three games and they happened to be the Birmingham derbies.

"They were still mistakes but over a big period, I still had a good season. But of course I'm looking to improve on that.

"I feel really refreshed this season - I haven't been to a European Championships and I feel I can have a long and consistent season."

if he keeps making stupid mistakes and doesnt work out that he needs to cover his near post, then i would be much happier with taylor in goal...

i say, give sorenson a chance to redeem himself and if he makes a couple of mistakes, then replace him with taylor and give him an extended run in the team..

I think that Taylor is the competition Sörensen needs to get up on his toes again. Postma is good but hasn't got DOL's faith and I think Sörensen knew that. Sörensen is a top-class keeper when at his best, but he wasn't that last season and I think/hope it depended on the lack of competition. DOL had too much faith in him nad that wasn't good for him. But with Taylor breathing down his neck I think he can reach to his peek again. Remember that save against Italy in the EC last summer? That's the Sörensen I like to see. Then he's a world class keeper, I tell you. And still remember those blunders against Brummy last season, ie, he's NOT a world class keeper. Hardly would break in my teams first side. :-S

I watched them on a training this Friday and on thing with Sörensen made me worried, though. When diving to his right he alwys tended to try and reach the ball with his left hand and never reached it. He seemed to be surprisingly one-handed. And for you who wonders, yes, he tried to reach the ball with the left hand, diving to the left. It was during a training when they first should dive to the left end then to the right. A little bit worrying. Still, i think he's the best we've got. So far.

Looking back I only had problems in two or three games and they happened to be the Birmingham derbies.

Don't think so, Thomas. He had a mare in quite a few games last season.

I watched them on a training this Friday and on thing with Sörensen made me worried, though. When diving to his right he alwys tended to try and reach the ball with his left hand and never reached it. He seemed to be surprisingly one-handed. And for you who wonders, yes, he tried to reach the ball with the left hand, diving to the left. It was during a training when they first should dive to the left end then to the right. A little bit worrying. Still, i think he's the best we've got. So far.

He might just have been practicing with his left arm - maybe he did it all with his right the day before

I think this is really good that Tommy see's that he HAS to perform.

Imo its the only position we have genunie competition and the players know it!

If tommy screws up he will be droped (hopefully)

Even though we have loads of midfielders you would never know they were playing for there place with some of the showings last year!!

Pretty close vote so far - I voted for Taylor because I think that he is a better keeper but would not be complaining if Sorensen started the season.

However, if he makes mistakes Taylor has got to be given some games and I think that given a decent run in the first team he might be able to force his way into Sven's world cup squad

i've voted for taylor but i suspect dol will go with tommy. but because they are both 'his players' i think the minute tommy makes another howler i dont think dol will have any hesitation in bringing taylor on or replacing him. then it's down to taylor to show us what he's worth. should be an interesting season as a villa goalkeeper

Taylor's arrival is a boost for Us, he's a good young keeper, all the more reason for Sorensen to make a stand.....nice to have some competition for places here and there, even though already we've had to endure a couple of injuries before we've even kicked a serious ball this term, f*ck sake, not a great start to proceedings,.....

Â