Sole Striker - Ings or Watkins?

ender4

Sole striker - Ings or Watkins?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Ings or Watkins?

• Ings
    • Watkins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/22 at 19:46

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yeah course, I’d go Archer but we only got two choices.

you said I’m manager of Villa so I thought I’d role play. 

One of best things about season starting soon is looking forward to more Darren Farley content

• Like 1

There should probably be the option of neither of them.  They both miss too many chances and if we are to improve, need a more ruthless finisher.  Will probably spend big money on a striker like that next summer. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Rumpelstiltskin?

There was a program in the 1970s called Pipkins and pig, above was one of the characters and he was a brummie. Hence my play on his name with Danny Ings

And yes I am bored👍

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

There was a program in the 1970s called Pipkins and pig, above was one of the characters and he was a brummie. Hence my play on his name with Danny Ings

And yes I am bored👍

Believe it or not I'm not sure that was on Swedish telly :D 

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Ings, easy.  He will get a shot on target and is (by far) the more proven striker.

But tbh they both need to improve dramatically. 

I like that bolded bit. The first bit, I disagree with the word "is" and would replace with "was."

• Like 1

Watkins is a pain in the arse for defenders with his harassing but his awareness, touch and finishing  are nowhere near elite level.  His control is abysmal at times and so many attacking moves break down because of it.   As for finishing, the one v one chance against Leeds sums him up  -  he tries to blast high  too often and it makes it easier to get a hand or two on it, as Meslier did.    A genuinely instinctive, clinical, finisher - think Kane, Son, Mane, Salah etc.  - slots that into one of the corners leaving the keeper flat footed.  Archer seems to have that knack.  Ings has misfired since joining but he's not really had a long run of games where he's the main man. He doesn't make a nuisance of himself so much but has a better footballing IQ. Out of the two, it's Ings for me.    

• Like 2

The club is more invested in Watkins. It's more important that he's given the opportunity to seize the job, increase his production and increase his sell-on value. Ings has inherently less sell-on value. So I say give it to Ollie until he either finally becomes the goal grabber we need him to be, or until he's clearly not able to put it all together. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tinker said:

Give each a half unless the starter scores then he stays on and starts the next game. If he doesn't score in that then the other one starts. 

I like it - shades of King Catch.

• Haha 1

Not quite this simplistic but just to make a point, Watkins starts against top 6 teams and away matches and Ings starts home matches against similar or lower opposition 

• Like 1

It's a tough one, putting them together does not work, but Watkins has feet like a trampoline and some games he cant finish his dinner. dont trust him with a one on one. He has pace, works hard but needs 5 chances to score. 

Ings is the more natural goalscorer, he has proved this at other clubs, that overhead kick was sublime, i really could not see Watkins pull that off.  But he has struggle to make an impact and some of his missed chances have been much to be desired.

But i would start with Ings and bring on Watkins for the last 30+mins of a game

I prefer Watkins from the two, I know he didn’t have a great season last time but he was good in his first season with us. He’s got that extra energy and drive that Ings doesn’t have. His movement and pace is more threatening, he can create space and chances for himself. I would be picking him for the lone striker role and hoping he can improve his first touch and close control.

His finishing wasn’t great at times but all strikers miss chances, I’d be happy to give him this season to see if he can improve his strike rate. Watkins is young enough to still develop, he’s got plenty of potential left. Having Ings on rotation and putting pressure on him has to have a positive effect. If it doesn’t then Ings plays and we know we need to look at a new striker. 

Â