Sole Striker - Ings or Watkins?

ender4

Sole striker - Ings or Watkins?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Ings or Watkins?

• Ings
    • Watkins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/22 at 19:46

You are manager of Villa and you will only play 1 striker up front for the upcoming season. You can’t change your starting striker for each match.  

Who do you select out of Watkins or Ings? 

Archer and Davis have left Villa on loan.

I've said this in other threads but against teams whereby we have the ball more I'd play Ing's for his better touch and awareness, finishing etc. Games against the better sides where we are counter attacking, Watkins for the press, running and....can't think of anything else?!

F*** it.....Let Archer play instead.  

• Like 1

Watkins - offers more stretching defensive lines and pressing up the pitch.

Their finishing is on a par for me, although Ings historically has been more prolific but shown nothing like that in claret and blue. 

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You are manager of Villa and you will only play 1 striker up front for the upcoming season. You can’t change your starting striker for each match.  

Who do you select out of Watkins or Ings? 

Archer and Davis have left Villa on loan.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yeah course, I’d go Archer but we only got two choices.

you said I’m manager of Villa so I thought I’d role play. 

• Haha 3

Just to flesh out my Ings decision - both players made 13 goal contributions last season (11 goals / 2 assists for Ollie and  7 goals / 6 assists for Ings).  The big difference is that Ollie played 2,955 minutes and Ings played 1,905 minutes.  So assuming Ings had played the same amount of minutes as Ollie based on his contributions per minute rate we would have scored 8 more goals.  I appreciate that he may not have kept up the same rate (fitness levels, etc) but at the same time more match involvement may also have helped him settle into more of a pattern.

• Like 1

It's an odd one - Ings is a better goalscorer, I think a better all round footballer and in slightly better form - but he's not all that well suited to the lone striker role.

Watkins is an athlete - he's strong, he's quick and he can run all day - he's perfect for the lone striker role.

If we're playing one I think I'd go with Watkins - if we're playing two, I'd be a lot happier to drop Watkins than Ings.

• Like 1

I feel it will be both.

Personally I don't think there is much between them although they have very different qualities. Ings home, Watkins away perhaps.

Edit: Obviously I hope every selection will be made based on form rather than favoritism. 

Edited by sne

Â