FC Barcelona

Villaphan04

Figured they need their own thread as we (I) keep clogging the 'the game's gone' thread. They're apparently convincing Kounde to wait and join them instead of Chelsea. Every of their transfers this window just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth with their financials.

Edited by Villaphan04

In terms of their financials, they’re just kicking the can down the road in the hope that within a few years’ time the super duper league actually starts (with the recent ‘LIV Golf’ - let’s call it what it is, Saudi Golf - saga, I can see it coming up again soon and this time with some form of precedent in place, of sorts).

They’re selling off chunks of their future income for an immediate cash injection, for a club/business that’s already lost money hand over fist it’s an absolute recipe for disaster.

Unless of course the super duper league starts up and they take $500M a year to play in it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They deserve to go out of business and be an example to everyone else.

They're going to force the super League soon and Italians will definitely go with them.

It'll be a Pooper League without Bayern, PSG, Ajax and the English teams. So a moot point.

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

In terms of their financials, they’re just kicking the can down the road in the hope that within a few years’ time the super duper league actually starts (with the recent ‘LIV Golf’ - let’s call it what it is, Saudi Golf - saga, I can see it coming up again soon and this time with some form of precedent in place, of sorts).

They’re selling off chunks of their future income for an immediate cash injection, for a club/business that’s already lost money hand over fist it’s an absolute recipe for disaster.

Unless of course the super duper league starts up and they take $500M a year to play in it.

Would $500m a year be enough? They had €1.3b of debt a year or so back, it must have carried on increasing. 

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Would $500m a year be enough? They had €1.3b of debt a year or so back, it must have carried on increasing. 

They've refinanced a lot of it, so while the total debt pile is huge (tho still lower than Spurs and maybe Chelsea if they have outstanding debt to Abramovic) the terms for paying it down appear to be more manageable.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This is the correct view of the situation. They are essentially gambling that the money they are spending on players will earn enough through on-pitch success (esp European TV rights) to offset the lost revenue from the rights sold. A smaller share of a bigger pie could still be as much or more money. In the meantime, they're going to keep working on a European super league, or hoping for a bailout from the authorities.

The recent Swiss Ramble thread on them is worth reading:

Is this 'right'? No, I don't think so, I think they should live within their means as a business, and that their hope of an ESL is going to be wasted. But while I very strongly dislike them, they're also quite pitiable in a way; they are truly leveraging everything, in public view, for what - Raphinha?

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

It'll be a Pooper League without Bayern, PSG, Ajax and the English teams. So a moot point.

Some of the English clubs will join, City and Chelsea were the 2 that needed convincing last time then signed up. Now Chelsea have US owners I can see them jumping at the chance and Liverpool and especially United will be very keen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Well if it is to be something like that amount, which I wouldn’t be surprised if it were, it would clear that debt in 3 years with pocket money leftover 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Some of the English clubs will join, City and Chelsea were the 2 that needed convincing last time then signed up. Now Chelsea have US owners I can see them jumping at the chance and Liverpool and especially United will be very keen

Fans will go bat shit kray again, no?

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Fans will go bat shit kray again, no?

They won’t do it in the same way again. They’ll learn lessons from the last time. The next time they move you won’t hear about it until it’s a done deal.

Edited by desensitized43

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They deserve to go out of business and be an example to everyone else.

They're going to force the super League soon and Italians will definitely go with them.

They never actually left the original ESL right? Or if they did, it was much later than the teams here. 

Barca are a cancer on the modern game 

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well if it is to be something like that amount, which I wouldn’t be surprised if it were, it would clear that debt in 3 years with pocket money leftover 

Not really, unless the club starts operating for free :D 

Their reasoning as to why they need the ESL shows everything that's wrong with them, they'll control their debt with increased revenue not by controlling their spending 

They should be allowed to spend whatever they want and there should be a platform that enables them to do so

The world wants to see the best players play for clubs like barcelona

Its utterly **** delusional 

Barcelona would never have gone out of business, they are almost to big to go out of business as crazy as that sounds. That said, whilst they've taken some action to combat the debt it's pretty clear they are still willing to splash the cash. I do fear that could backfire yet again, but they've got away with it before and they'll do it again. 

Â