SAS allegations. Why isn't this bigger news?

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Most military people are a weird breed. I’ve never met a military person who isn’t a bit ‘off’. I remember doing my nursing training and there was a group of military students in our intake. How did I know? Bit like vegans and cyclists, they just can’t wait to tell you. Weirdly smug and thought they were a bit above us ‘civvies’. **** odd lot. 

I work with a LOT of ex army signals guys in the telecoms sector. There are some exactly how you describe, just love to share old war stories from the early 90's and like to act  bit 'ard. But there is a handful who never mention their service.

22 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I work with a LOT of ex army signals guys in the telecoms sector. There are some exactly how you describe, just love to share old war stories from the early 90's and like to act  bit 'ard. But there is a handful who never mention their service.

OHMSS :ph34r:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Talking about your old job whilst in a new one applies to every human who has had more than one job and the ability to talk.

I worked in Malta for a brief period.

It got to a point a few years when I realised my constant Malta anecdotes were beginning to piss people off.

I’ve noticed this, and I’ve taken it on board and learned.

Now I talk about my time in Malta whenever I want to piss them off.

• Haha 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I worked in Malta for a brief period.

It got to a point a few years when I realised my constant Malta anecdotes were beginning to piss people off.

I’ve noticed this, and I’ve taken it on board and learned.

Now I talk about my time in Malta whenever I want to piss them off.

I'm the same with stories from previous lives and interstellar travel.  You can see their eyes gloss over every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

...Bit like vegans and cyclists, they just can’t wait to tell you...

And people who went to Uni? 😝

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Not just from uni.

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

All fair comments, I should have said all military people I’ve ever met. Not just from uni. 

No weird people or folk who are a bit off in Uni then ?     

Some of the worst paedophiles , cannibals and serial killers of all time are former students.

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Most military people are a weird breed. I’ve never met a military person who isn’t a bit ‘off’. I remember doing my nursing training and there was a group of military students in our intake. How did I know? Bit like vegans and cyclists, they just can’t wait to tell you. Weirdly smug and thought they were a bit above us ‘civvies’. **** odd lot. 

Totally my experience too. Rather like the police I think it takes a certain type in the first place and then they get the training that imprints certain behaviour/attitudes.

I have a brother who served in the forces.  

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Everyone has to belong to a group and then slate all the other groups which aren't theirs.

Nothing to do with the topic, but something I've noticed lately and is greatly exaggerated on VT. 

This sounds like us on here. If a few have a different opinion and debate it, we are as good as spoken down to by others who take their own opinions as factual, or better still,  just type a couple of words of sarcasm, which is obviously great input.

I think many people on here know not to comment if they have a different or debatable opinions on certain threads, as they would rather not be belittled by the so called know it alls. It's ashame really, as it would make some threads far more interesting.

Just now, sidcow said:

Totally my experience too. Rather like the police I think it takes a certain type in the first place and then they get the training that imprints certain behaviour/attitudes.

I have a broker who served in the forces.  

Bingo . The British Army's motto is "Be The Best" not "Average Joe's"  and sadly that does instil a level of arrogance amongst the younger soldiers. This is usually knocked out of them by the older and wiser soldiers or just life itself.   

For every dick with a skinhead bragging about  his patrol in Afghanistan there are a hundred soldiers who have zero interest in telling you their past . You just won;t ever know because they won't tell you .   Don't let a bad experience colour your opinion of a huge diverse group of fellow humans.

• Like 1

Speaking as a RAF brat, when the NHS were awarded the George Cross I demanded the next time I visit my father that, as technically I now held a higher honour than him, he greet me in full dress uniform and salute my arrival.

Technically, he did deliver on the "salute" part of that request.

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think many people on here know not to comment if they have a different or debatable opinions on certain threads, as they would rather not be belittled by the so called know it alls. It's ashame really, as it would make some threads far more interesting.

Offending too easily and being too easily offended -- in a nutshell.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

As an ex-soldier, some of us feel proud to have served our country. I don't personally mention it that often (1st time for me on Villatalk), and most of my colleagues in various comms companies have no idea I've served. I think that the majority of ex forces guys who do talk about their service are rightfully proud of their service, especially those that have served a long time and it's been a way of life, the only way of life they've known as adults for most I'd imagine. A lot of people like to talk about achievements they're proud of.

Regarding the SAS allegations, they serve in a professional service and should face justice if they have acted in an illegal way or contravened the Geneva convention in any way. That being said, if they've acted on orders, then they shouldn't just be hung out to dry. There will have been people above them who may have ordered this. It may not be as simple as "Troopers execute non-combatants".

Finally, if they're innocent, then an apology should be made by the accusers. Undermining faith in the Army is not something I'm comfortable with.

Completely agree. 

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

It's kinda weird when a basic requirement for entrance is a minimum of 16 years civilian experience.

edit

Edited by av1

That does read pretty much like the scary ex military that was being described in all fairness.

There’s a world of difference between wanting police help if under attack, and suggesting we shouldn’t have murder squads.

I’ve mixed with enough people, civilian and military to know there are scarily aggressive people and people who are a bit ‘off’ on both sides. There are also perfectly decent people on both sides. If you can even describe it as sides, we all need each other.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, av1 said:

Fair point. But in the last 20yrs, on top of the friends that I’ve lost on operations, there has been a dozen or more that have taken their owns lives. So to read the fecking rubbish on here posted by absolute tools is annoying. 

Rocket polishers that would love the armed police or SF to turn up if some crazy bastard broke into their house, but in the meantime play keyboard warrior slagging everyone off. 

Like I say, there’s a reason we think civvies are dickheads

Ironic considering what came after that sentence. 

Â