Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

This season is a funny one. There is a definite template which 80% of the top performers in the FPL community (on Twitter) seem to be going with.

Kane OR Halaand & Jesus up top

Trent & Cancelo & one of or both of James/Chilwell in defence

Salah, & Martinelli OR Neto OR Bailey in midfield

With the gaps filled with whatever is affordable, often Diaz in MF or another 8m mid.

It looks like a good team, but I don’t really want to go there. I want Bowen & Saka as two of last seasons consistent performers (but now with a high price tag), which is limiting my funds when I start to add in the must-haves like Salah or one of Haaland/Kane. I still think I’ll end up going my own way 

35 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This season is a funny one. There is a definite template which 80% of the top performers in the FPL community (on Twitter) seem to be going with.

Kane OR Halaand & Jesus up top

Trent & Cancelo & one of or both of James/Chilwell in defence

Salah, & Martinelli OR Neto OR Bailey in midfield

With the gaps filled with whatever is affordable, often Diaz in MF or another 8m mid.

It looks like a good team, but I don’t really want to go there. I want Bowen & Saka as two of last seasons consistent performers (but now with a high price tag), which is limiting my funds when I start to add in the must-haves like Salah or one of Haaland/Kane. I still think I’ll end up going my own way 

And no doubt have loads more fun then people following the crowd and not picking their own teams. 

The rise of social media experts creating huge templates kinda ruins the game for me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

And no doubt have loads more fun then people following the crowd and not picking their own teams. 

The rise of social media experts creating huge templates kinda ruins the game for me. 

It's not really copying other people that produces the templates. The number of people who use social media to help with their FPL teams is still a relatively small proportion of the 9m or so people who play it.

Templates are there because the players are genuinely popular picks/ Social media just makes you more aware of it.

15 hours ago, BOF said:

Current mull. A midfield pairing of Martinelli/Neto or Gresford/Bailey. Template would be the former, but with Zinchenko now at Arsenal (and I have him in defence) I think Martinelli's minutes may well suffer. I like Neto but I think the potential upside of Grealish if he does what I think he'll do with Haaland could be massive. It's the kind of differential I like. And Bailey goes without saying. I don't think he's particularly punty now. For that money and with Gerard's comments I'd be confident he'll start the season. Two explosive players. Makes more fun. I think I've talked myself into it 😁

would maritinelli be the one to make way though? does zinchenko play that far forward?

my team is locked in but for me the only question mark is picking 2 out of martinelli/bailey/neto. i really can't decide. i know you shouldn't plan transfers but one possibility is neto for wolves' first two games, then bringing martinelli in for arsenal's bournemouth + fulham games. bailey is looking more and more likely to go in my team...even if he doesn't start, he'll get minutes most games i think

i really cannot pick a city midfielder because there's the rotation risk

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not really copying other people that produces the templates. The number of people who use social media to help with their FPL teams is still a relatively small proportion of the 9m or so people who play it.

Templates are there because the players are genuinely popular picks/ Social media just makes you more aware of it.

I'm not overly fussed about the whole 9m players but more focused on those who score highly. They're all template and rank high by doing nothing but copy a SM influencer or picks suggested by scout sites. 

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm not overly fussed about the whole 9m players but more focused on those who score highly. They're all template and rank high by doing nothing but copy a SM influencer or picks suggested by scout sites. 

But what I'm saying is most people don't just copy SM influencers. Some might, but with price changes I imagine it would be really hard to do that.

Yeah people listen and watch content and make decisions based on that, but that's the game. Template players are template because they're really good. even without SM there would still be template players

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But what I'm saying is most people don't just copy SM influencers. Some might, but with price changes I imagine it would be really hard to do that.

Yeah people listen and watch content and make decisions based on that, but that's the game. Template players are template because they're really good. even without SM there would still be template players

That's your opinion. I disagree based off what I've seen on SM. Let's leave it at that. 

Also the way to finish highly in FPL is generally go with the template, that's the sad fact. You have to get your differentials right and hit the fixture swings etc, but generally if you pick the good players you'll do well. The template is template for a reason.

To WIN FPL, you have to be different. But it's high risk. For every person that's different and hits the top 100, there's thousands that are different and end up shit

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

i guess if you've got £100 on a mini league with some mates/coworkers you could do worse than just following one of the good youtubers because assuming your rivals aren't, you've a good chance of winning. but that's the only situation where it's worthwhile...otherwise it's just no fun

i've started watching some of the youtubers. the team i have now is largely my own, but i can see these resources being useful as the season goes on i.e. when the double game weeks are, players likely to be rotated etc

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i guess if you've got £100 on a mini league with some mates/coworkers you could do worse than just following one of the good youtubers because assuming your rivals aren't, you've a good chance of winning. but that's the only situation where it's worthwhile...otherwise it's just no fun

i've started watching some of the youtubers. the team i have now is largely my own, but i can see these resources being useful as the season goes on i.e. when the double game weeks are, players likely to be rotated etc

Copying a team is no fun.

Using online content to inform your own decisions is very fun

• Like 1

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tweaked it again

Vi3u7h8.jpg

i like that

if i may? have a look at kante...lots better midfield options for 5m. his team mate kovacic for one

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 14:08, BOF said:

I'll be honest. I don't like that. It's too punty at the start. If it goes wrong you're immediately playing catch up. If it goes right others can bring in whoever clicked. 50% of your front 6 are differentials, you're not particularly big at the back and you've a fortune on your bench.

You been looking at my team? I've got 8 of those and I don't ever look at social media or the like I just guess and hope, hence the poor performances

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we're not allowed :(

Not allowed? As in work won't allow you to play a game? Not sure they can stop you.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Not allowed? As in work won't allow you to play a game? Not sure they can stop you.

Can play, but can't set up leagues for a cash prize

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Can play, but can't set up leagues for a cash prize

I'm genuinely curious. How can they stop people playing a game in their spare time for money or otherwise that has nothing to do with the company? It doesn't have to be called the '<My company's name> league'. Can't it be a 'mates' league. I'm curious of the legality. Smacks of HR sticking their nose where it doesn't belong and where it has no right to be. That kinda meddling really pisses me off.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm genuinely curious. How can they stop people playing a game in their spare time for money or otherwise that has nothing to do with the company? It doesn't have to be called the '<My company's name> league'. Can't it be a 'mates' league. I'm curious of the legality. Smacks of HR sticking their nose where it doesn't belong and where it has no right to be. That kinda meddling really pisses me off.

Work sponsored gambling? Potential disputes and workplace agro if something goes wrong? 

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Work sponsored gambling? Potential disputes and workplace agro if something goes wrong? 

It's not work sponsored unless they were providing the prize. As for agro, that's stretching, but it's definitely the kind of thing HR would try for and again I'd question its legality. Ho hum.