Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

26 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Is there an obvious strategy to this that I'm unaware of?

What I would say with regards to distributing your funds is, you're not buying a squad for the season. You're only buying a squad for the first 8-10 weeks (or even shorter). So attack those weeks. Don't try to future-proof your squad. You have 3 wildcards this season. One of those is fixed. The world cup week (before GW17). So your first wildcard needs to be used before that, and to get value from it you'll need to use it a good bit before GW16. So this season is effectively 4 sprints. Roughly gameweek 1-8, WC, 9-16, WC, 17-(24~30), WC, (25~31)-38.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

NBSbCSS.jpg

This will either be the greatest team ever or a disaster. Can't lie, my money is on the latter :) 

No Trent, no Robbo, no salah, no spurs. Brave

Will look better when you've got Bowen in the first XI and no Shaw though.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This will either be the greatest team ever or a disaster. Can't lie, my money is on the latter :) 

No Trent, no Robbo, no salah, no spurs. Brave

Will look better when you've got Bowen in the first XI and no Shaw though.

Bowen is on the bench because it's Man City. Don't people start or bench players based on matchups? Man City will likely score a couple of goals v West Ham and as a MF, Bowen will be docked points.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So do people spend big on a starting 11 and buy low end scrubs to keep on the bench?

At the start of the season basically yes, because squad rotation is at its lowest in the Prem (no one is knackered yet, no one needs a rest and Europe hasn't kicked in yet) and your FPL squad value is at the lowest that it will be all season. The wildcard get out of jail card means having anything other than fodder on your bench means you're compromising your starting 11. That doesn't mean you have to go total 17 million bench (4+4+4.5+4.5) but I wouldn't be going too far north of that either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Bowen is on the bench because it's Man City. Don't people start or bench players based on matchups? Man City will likely score a couple of goals v West Ham and as a MF, Bowen will be docked points.

Bowen will not be docked points for conceding. He'll lose the 1pt he gets for a clean sheet and that's it. But that's not what he's in for anyway, and he scored against City last season. If you've bought him then you really should play him. He's borderline elite. If West Ham do anything in that game, odds are he's involved.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So do people spend big on a starting 11 and buy low end scrubs to keep on the bench?

Sort of yes.

I think you've fallen into the trap (and I've done it myself before) of having a squad full of decent players but no amazing players.

The players that cost a lot like Salah, Kane, Bruno (before last season), Trent, Robbo etc are priced that way because they score loads of points. All the time. So you're often better off squeezing two or three of them into your team even if it means sacrificing strength elsewhere

A midfield that costs

12m 8m 8m 6.5m 5.5m

is likely going to be better than a midfield that costs

8m 8m 8m 8m 8m 

Obviously it's not guaranteed, but the players that cost 8m are there because they're not as consistent. So you can easily have weeks where your whole midfield scores bugger all

• Like 1

And to go back to the squad value thing. You've a quarter of your squad value sitting on your bench. That's a quarter of your budget getting you zero points. The one place I'd start with that is downgrading your premium goalkeeper substitute.

• Like 1

Current mull. A midfield pairing of Martinelli/Neto or Gresford/Bailey. Template would be the former, but with Zinchenko now at Arsenal (and I have him in defence) I think Martinelli's minutes may well suffer. I like Neto but I think the potential upside of Grealish if he does what I think he'll do with Haaland could be massive. It's the kind of differential I like. And Bailey goes without saying. I don't think he's particularly punty now. For that money and with Gerard's comments I'd be confident he'll start the season. Two explosive players. Makes more fun. I think I've talked myself into it 😁

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

1 hour ago, BOF said:

And to go back to the squad value thing. You've a quarter of your squad value sitting on your bench. That's a quarter of your budget getting you zero points. The one place I'd start with that is downgrading your premium goalkeeper substitute.

AND the extra subs this season means that you're going to need your bench less and less. If Reece James was on the bench last season there was a good chance he wouldn't come on and you'd need a sub. With 5 subs this season there's far far more chance that he'd get on the picth.

So subs are even less valuable than they used to be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hmm. Gonna go experiment. I'll post my new team based on your suggestions. 

I don't want it to sound like I'm picking your team. And feel free to completely ignore us by the way. It's your team and it should be fun. I guess we're just pointing out the potential pitfalls that can be made at the start of a season. 

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't want it to sound like I'm picking your team. And feel free to completely ignore us by the way. It's your team and it should be fun. I guess we're just pointing out the potential pitfalls that can be made at the start of a season. 

No, I need the tips. I rule fantasy baseball but footy is a different beast. Still trying to get a handle on strategy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, maqroll said:

No, I need the tips. I rule fantasy baseball but footy is a different beast. Still trying to get a handle on strategy.

I'd still look at your goalkeeping bench IIH. You generally won't rotate your goalkeeper. Certainly not enough to justify 5.0

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'd still look at your goalkeeping bench IIH. You generally won't rotate your goalkeeper. Certainly not enough to justify 5.0

I like these two for now. Was thinking Meslier at 4.5 but why do that when for 0.5 more I can have Chelsea/Arsenal who will concede less.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tweaked it again

Vi3u7h8.jpg

There's probably better options out there than Kante as players like him rarely score high points. Personally I'd grab a 4.5m MF instead (someone like Pereira or DaSilva) and stick them in 3rd spot on the bench. The odds of that player coming on are incredibly low so you might as well go as cheap as possible. 

You could then also downgrade one of the 5m keepers to a 4.0 one (again unlikely to play so save money) or maybe the backup of your starting keeper if you're worried they don't play. 

Doing those 2 things would get you an extra 1.5m to play with. 

• Like 1